The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lost about Panasonic models

biglouis

I'm a bit lost with all the different Panasonic models. I currently own the GF-1.

I'm shooting a friends wedding at the end of July and I am thinking about getting a second body. That way I can have the 20/1.7 on one body and my 45/2.8 on another. Given that I am more interested in the sensor than bells and whistles of the camera, am I right in thinking that a G1 is really no different to my GF-1 or indeed any of the other bodies?

Put another way, which G camera will give me the same quality as my GF-1?

TIA

Louis

Terry

G1 - same image quality as GF1 the original model

new models
G2 - the follow-up camera. Just released about a month ago IQ basically the same with same sensor, goes 1 stop higher in ISO haven't seen side by side posting of files.
G10 - new camera again same sensor should have same IQ of G2. Less bells and whistles cheaper EVF

video centric
GH1- different sensor. Considered better than G1/GF1 by one stop. Unclear yet how it compares to G2/G10

pellicle

I would also second a used good condition G1 as your second body. I can get much better focus (even with manual legacy lenses) on the G1 than on any other camera except a proper rangefinder. I can regularly dial in the focus to perfect on the G1 and I can't as reliably on any optical SLR screen.

I recently did a wedding with G1 and 35mm SLR (with 100mm f2.8 lens) and found that the G1 focus was more reliable but when I got it right that the 35mm was very lovely.

I happen to go for more shallow DoF however than others seem to prefer

of course nothing in the 4/3 can quite match full frame for that

Last edited:

biglouis

Terry, Tony and Pellicle. Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to try and get a second hand G1. My other kit is Leica so you can guess how easy it is to make a purchase decision on a second body for my m4/3rds kit!

LouisB

Jerry_R

G2 - the follow-up camera. Just released about a month ago IQ basically the same with same sensor, goes 1 stop higher in ISO haven't seen side by side posting of files.
You mean RAW or JPG?

Every time anyone says anything about high ISO - it should be mentioned - if it is about RAW or JPG.

Example? E-PL1 and G1 RAW files show exactly the same noise and details. But JPGs on high ISO look differently.

V

Vivek

I think I am going to try and get a second hand G1. My other kit is Leica so you can guess how easy it is to make a purchase decision on a second body for my m4/3rds kit!

LouisB

Why would you buy an used G1? It is clear that you can afford a new G1.

Here, in the Netherlands, there are lots of new ones still offered (kit or body alone, etc) for 1/2 the introductory price (and about 1/2 the price of a G2).