The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kinoptik 2/32mm on GH1

kds315

I had that lens (16mm version, not Arri but much smaller, pics later) professionally converted to c-mount maintaining infinity (using a mount I have designed) and here some first results using it...

The absence of visible LCA (water + wood bee reflection), the creamy bokeh, sometimes a bit swirly background (later), detail sharpness and esp. that very special color reproduction makes it a special lens IMHO. Not wonder filmmakers go gaga about Kinoptik! There is hardly visible vignetting btw.

The roof shot (fully open, focused that that golden globe), tree and Peonia shots are full format, the rest are 100% pixel crops to see details.

Last edited:

kds315

here a few more...that lens just loves red tones!
Astonishingly how well that harsh light today was handled.

(lack of LCA: have a look at that decayed flower against
teh black background)

Last edited:

kds315

That lens does not stop to amaze me with really nice results. I love the colors, its ability to separate from the background and total lack of LCA.

Here a few (too many I know...) examples of that ability from a todays lunch break walk ...

kds315

Here more showing that astonishing separation ability and fine color reproduction:

what I find amazing is the absolute lack of CA especially in the OOF areas, which may be seen in the high contrasty black / white transitions here:

Here a FF image to show the overall sharpness...(and how well it renders colors)

Photomorgana

That lens does not stop to amaze me with really nice results. I love the colors, its ability to separate from the background and total lack of LCA.
I also amazed with the quality and level of control over aberrations Kinoptik lenses are exhibiting. They are also very sharp and contrasty. I've mentioned before in my posts how much I love high quality Cinematographic lenses, not just Kinoptik, but also its fellow cine colleagues Angenieux, Cooke, Switar and Super Baltar.

Is your lens an Apochromat version? what are the first 2 digits of serial number? Which mount its in?
The reason I'm asking because my version is 32mm f2.8 apochromat-c ser# 46xxx

kds315

Today a few architectural shots from a recent trip to Romania when I had that lens with me. All shots from Brasov / Transsylvania, a city I really like a lot. Note the german lettring on that warehouse in the first image, germans founded that city in the 13th century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braşov
and still that is visible everywhere.

that last one is just a "bokeh shot".

And one from "Piata Sfatului" also from Brasov

When I went home later a shot at the blue hour

Last edited:

Jonas

(...)
Is your lens an Apochromat version? what are the first 2 digits of serial number? Which mount its in?
The reason I'm asking because my version is 32mm f2.8 apochromat-c ser# 46xxx
Judging from the images it seems to be an APO lens. But I've never seen a Kinoptik 32/2 for sale anywhere and it even isn't listed as a current available lens.

Today a few architectural shots from a recent trip to Romania when I had that lens with me. (...)
Klaus, the lens looks like pure joy and there is something very nice about these lenses and the clean images you get from them.
Two questions; in the first images the top of the roof of the buildings aren't sharp. Do you recall what aperture you used for those? And, the only image showing something taken in the dark is the last one and there we get a hint about the flare. I guess this is not a lens for use at nights in bright cities?

Thank you for all the images,

/Jonas

Charles2

Re: Kinoptik 2/32mm on GH1 - the custom adapter

These shots are a good lesson in colors that are both vivid and rich, saturated but not over-saturated.

I had that lens (16mm version, not Arri but much smaller, pics later) professionally converted to c-mount maintaining infinity (using a mount I have designed)
Could you describe this process? I have a Zeiss Jena lens for Praktica bayonet mount, and the eBay adapters to micro 4/3 do not allow focus to infinity. I just need to convince myself that the conversion requires more than the lens is worth. :)

kds315

Judging from the images it seems to be an APO lens. But I've never seen a Kinoptik 32/2 for sale anywhere and it even isn't listed as a current available lens.

Klaus, the lens looks like pure joy and there is something very nice about these lenses and the clean images you get from them.
Two questions; in the first images the top of the roof of the buildings aren't sharp. Do you recall what aperture you used for those? And, the only image showing something taken in the dark is the last one and there we get a hint about the flare. I guess this is not a lens for use at nights in bright cities?

Thank you for all the images,

/Jonas
Jonas, it is an APO lens which KINOPTIK made for a 16mm camera system some many years ago, serial number 37xxx (I never found info about that one myself). It is a f1.9 lens, but moviemakers think in T-values, so it is a T2.2 lens.

It covers the whole sensor of course, but the main definition area is that 16mm center, so I guess this is the reason for the degradation of sharpness towards the corners esp. at open aperture (which actually helps a lot to achieve that effect of centering the attention towards the middle - excellent for flower work). I don't recall exacatly what I used for that first shot, I would guess T2.8 or f4 as it is usually what I use then (the T-scale is on top)

As regarding flares, this was my first night shot ever taken with that lens at ISO1250. And there is flare visible from that strong street light. Moviemakers like flares (I know that from others forums) and I have to test that out once I find opportunities to.

kds315

Re: Kinoptik 2/32mm on GH1 - the custom adapter

These shots are a good lesson in colors that are both vivid and rich, saturated but not over-saturated.

Could you describe this process? I have a Zeiss Jena lens for Praktica bayonet mount, and the eBay adapters to micro 4/3 do not allow focus to infinity. I just need to convince myself that the conversion requires more than the lens is worth. :)
Well Charles, in principle all you need is patience and a calipher to determine the distance needed between that lens mount and that sensor of your camera. It is quite a "trial and error" process, this is why I initially have a tube with rear c-mount made which has three set screws on its front which allows me to move that lens back and forth and lock it into position. Once the correct infinity point has been reached, a final tube can be made with that exact mount. How such a tube has to be made to fit your lens, is best discussed with a skilled mechanic. All I can say about that process....

kds315

A few from today. That sharpness, color, special bokeh and background separation capability still amazes me...