The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G2 / G1 MF

S

SantasImage

looking forward to the arrival of a new G2 in Red (B&H currently only has blue) ... wondering about how others go about manual focusing considering there are no split image or other focusing aids ... is it similar to as in the old Hasselblad 500 series (or a Deardorff) with a plain ground glass ??? ... comments / observations appreciated ... [& bee good!]

Godfrey

IN the G1 camera, when you're using any mFT or FT series lens, the default setting is to magnify the image in the viewfinder by 5x whenever you're in manual focus mode and touch the focusing ring, and you can jump that up to 10x if you need. This 'MF magnification assist' can also be enabled by pressing the left arrow then Menu button.

With an adapted manual lens, the camera basically doesn't know that there is a lens fitted on the mount: magnification assist is always enabled by pressing the two buttons in sequence.

I'm pretty sure this is the same on the G2, for the most part, but I think the G2 can also do a short cut in enabling the MF assist by pressing the control dial, or something like that.

With 5x and 10x viewfinder image magnification available at the touch of a button, these are some of the easiest cameras ever to nail critical focus even in miserable conditions.

pellicle

Hi

... wondering about how others go about manual focusing considering there are no split image or other focusing aids
well, there is the fact that you can zoom in to something like x10 magnification with the press of a button. I've found it helps me even with 300mm lenses hand held to nail focus wide open at difficult distances.

... is it similar to as in the old Hasselblad 500 series (or a Deardorff) with a plain ground glass ??? ... comments / observations appreciated ... [& bee good!]
well if you can compare your computer monitor to a ground glass ... yes it is similar. I was unaware that Deardorff made anything except large wooden bellows cameras ... so I wouldn't have not made that comparison. Particularly when using my wide angle lenses on my 4x5 I need to move my head all over the place to see the image properly, I can't see all of it brightly at one time. I have no such problems with the G1 I use.

Last edited: