The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New compact micro 4/3!!!

Jonas

A "rangefinder-type optical viewfinder that is borrowed from Leica" really? That would be very surprising. And with a fixed lens, how can it then be a µ4/3 camera? Isn't the lens mount a part of the specification?

Rawfa

Hey, if they want to come up with a camera that can fit on my pocket with a micro 4/3 sensor and a fixed lens you won´t hear any complaining from my part.

Rawfa

I´m wondering about the price though. It has to be cheaper than the GF1 and not cheap enough to step on the LX3´s shoes (which is still selling a lot).

Jonas

Rafa, I won't complain either... But if a 3x zoom fitting a 4/3 sensor also fits your pocket - how fast do you think the lens would be?

photoSmart42

I´m wondering about the price though. It has to be cheaper than the GF1 and not cheap enough to step on the LX3´s shoes (which is still selling a lot).
I don't know about protecting the LX3 price so much. I'm sure Panasonic would be willing to have an incentive for people to buy this new product over one of their existing product lines that's now 3 years old. This is likely the LX3 replacement camera line.

Jonas

All that means is an external VF that has etch lines for both the wide and long zoom positions.
Probably. I guess you can see why I am a little annoyed; a fixed lens camera is called for a µ4/3 camera, a not coupled (maybe even external) optical viewfinder is called rangefinder style. How old are these rumor loving guys?

photoSmart42

Rafa, I won't complain either... But if a 3x zoom fitting a 4/3 sensor also fits your pocket - how fast do you think the lens would be?
Faster than the m4/3 kit lens I bet. I'm guessing f/2.8-ish at the fast end. I don't see them fitting a collapsible f/2.0 with such a large sensor, but I could be wrong.

V

Vivek

Faster than the m4/3 kit lens I bet. I'm guessing f/2.8-ish at the fast end. I don't see them fitting a collapsible f/2.0 with such a large sensor, but I could be wrong.
I would venture that it will be a f/1.9 constant zoom.:talk028:

Jonas

How would it become faster and smaller than the kit zoom? That doesn't sound very plausible unless they have came up with some very nifty way to fold the lens into nothing.

photoSmart42

How would it become faster and smaller than the kit zoom? That doesn't sound very plausible unless they have came up with some very nifty way to fold the lens into nothing.
I don't know, but I'm sure they can make it happen. With a fixed lens you're no longer constrained by the mount flange, so you have more room to optimize the optics and play with different lenses. It wouldn't make sense to launch something as slow as the f/3.5 kit lens. I'm guessing it'll be a 24-48/2.8-4.0 personally. We'll see.

Riley

".it will have a special rangefinder-type optical viewfinder that is borrowed from Leica with marks in it for max zoom and fully wide angle!"

I think what he means is the hot shoe variety of finder that is, not uncommonly found on RF cameras. Perhaps not unlike the one offered for X1 which appears to be about the same sort of camera

photoSmart42

".it will have a special rangefinder-type optical viewfinder that is borrowed from Leica with marks in it for max zoom and fully wide angle!"

I think what he means is the hot shoe variety of finder that is, not uncommonly found on RF cameras. Perhaps not unlike the one offered for X1 which appears to be about the same sort of camera

Perhaps. I'm not dismissing the idea of a built-in RF-style OVF with markings and some electronic overlay that somehow projects what would be the second RF image for focusing. That, plus a 3" LCD in the rear. I can only hope for simple Leica-style controls at the top, but I'm guessing it'll be the standard Panasonic controls on it.

Riley

yes Dragos thats possible too, much like a viewfinder camera
I think struggling with these definitions is just one facet of the new age of photography that we find ourselves in.

Riley

I would also like to say that I really dont understand the problem some people seem to have with this particular site, it is after all clearly about 'rumours'. The guy obviously has 'sources' and some that he knows are good, as well as being a pretty reasonable news area for all things four thirds, something that we dont get out of sites many of the same people would deem to have a higher reputation.

Add to that some context, the guys an Italian, english is not his first language and he does seem to struggle with that sometimes. He did say he was taking classes for english language, thats dedication a cut above the rest IMO, ymmv