The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New compact micro 4/3!!!

photoSmart42

This could be the ideal camera that all snapshot photographers have been waiting for.
Snapshots vs. photos are a matter of intent, not gear IMO. Plenty of expensive DSLR owners take snapshots, and plenty of camera phone owners take well-composed photographs. I'd call this the ideal large-sensor portable P&S that a lot of people have been waiting for. We'll find out soon enough I hope.

Rawfa

You´re right. But a lot of DSLR owners also use their DSLRs for point and shoot...anyway, it could be an ideal camera for some things, for some people, to be used in some places hahaha

Riley

Maybe they will use their new gapless sensor. Panasonic already started mass production on a similar solution as Canon´s. Noise levels are expected to be 1 to 1.5 stops better in the high ISO range.

that was a quote from Chuck Westfall, and note I say was, its some years old and not entirely accurate

in effect I think Canon picked up a half stop with gapless microlenses, which explains the noise difference between G1 and 5DII, where G1 loses about a half stop shot at the equivalent aperture.

right now however Canons next move will go further with stacked twin lens microlenses

Godfrey

yehh... Godfrey, another Serious Panny apologist... *

*hehehehe... is t' checK in t' maiL?
Obviously, you just want to annoy people. Stupid name-calling and cutesy insinuations is why I so rarely read your posts. They lack any substance or insight.

These behaviors say more about you than anything else.

Godfrey

I have worked with video for 10 years. I have had work shown on mtv and several other tv channels, I also received several awards from shot films I´v made. Most of my work was done with tools way worst than the GF1 with the 20mm. I do agree that the 20mm is not ideal for video work, but I would not go as far as saying it´s for hobbyists.
Check this out: http://www.vimeo.com/13005574
Lovely work, Rawfa. Thanks for posting the link.

I didn't say or mean that the 20mm was ideal for video work, nor that it was for hobbyists.

Do you use continuous autofocus in your videography? If so, how often?

Riley

[white flag]
AF is surely more handy for short crewed situations without a focus puller

Jonas

I always thought anyone serious about video used an external audio device...

But again, what do you all think about a constant (?) f/2 and 3x zoom being smaller than anything else yet seen? I still find this hard to believe.

jonoslack

I always thought anyone serious about video used an external audio device...

But again, what do you all think about a constant (?) f/2 and 3x zoom being smaller than anything else yet seen? I still find this hard to believe.

I missed the constant aperture bit... would be lovely, but I agree unlikely.

Cheers

Brian
Yes, wouldn't it be nice - but I agree, it sounds too much like the 'magic camera' to be real

V

Vivek

Would it make anyone "clueless" when pointing out:

1. Pana's flash exposures are unreliable while using manual focus lenses while a more relatively newcomer like Samsung could get it right from the beginning? (It did take a firmware update for the G1 to make amends and as Hudson reported, the G2 got it correct, finally)

2. Are Pana's cams useful for amateur astronomers when the sensor is prone to producing random "starry" skies on its own in long exposures?

3. The Pana 20/1.7 focuses faster, contrast is tolerable when using it on a hacked G1 for infrared. The lens does fluoresce in UV (ie. when used in sunny conditions) due to the use of some "exotic" glass elements that are cheap. The "clueless" would have a hard time figuring out why the lens make erratic exposures under different conditions. Unfortunately, at least for the "clueless", there is no possible software fix for that. Perhaps Panasonic do have a clue and would use better/non fluorescing glass in their future lenses.

4. Are any of the users "clueless" if they have no idea why there is a metal stripe on the hand gripe of every Pana cam with an NMOS sensor?
(Would Pana issue a "how to hold your cam correctly to make the bets out of it" along the lines of iPhone4?)

I am sure Panasonic know better but just take all the buyers/users of their cams for granted as being "clueless".:wtf:

Godfrey

Jono,

My use of the term "clueless" was a reflection of Hudson's use of the term in the section of his comment that I quoted.

If you're going to quote me, quote in a manner that includes the context properly. Otherwise, you are changing the meaning of the post in an attempt to continue the stupid name calling and cutesy insinuations.

Thank you for your compliance and courtesy.

RichA

No videographer serious about their work uses auto focus. Only clueless hobbyists demand that kind of nonsensical, useless stuff.
Aren't there AF drive gears for focus on all Zeiss cine lenses? Are they actually using some kind of hand-cranked gear system to focus?

photoSmart42

4. Are any of the users "clueless" if they have no idea why there is a metal stripe on the hand gripe of every Pana cam with an NMOS sensor?
(Would Pana issue a "how to hold your cam correctly to make the bets out of it" along the lines of iPhone4?)
I'll bite. What's the reason there's a metal stripe on the hand grip? Does it close some sort of contact when it's held? Is it a heat sink?

Godfrey

Aren't there AF drive gears for focus on all Zeiss cine lenses? Are they actually using some kind of hand-cranked gear system to focus?
Professional video teams use a remotely actuated control to operate the focusing mount so that one person (the "focus puller") manages focusing while the "camera operator" manages framing, camera movement and when it is recording. (In television studio teams, the camera operator doesn't control the 'when' ... that's controlled from the control room by the switcher operator, acting on the instructions of the director.) The focus puller usually has an ancillary monitor at their disposal so they can see what's going on while attending to the focus task. Additional personnel handle sound capture timing as well as levels and dynamics.

Working video at that level is a totally different thing from a one person field news reporter with a handycam and a mike. ... :)