The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where are the NEW Oly 17mm f/2.8 m/43?

M5-Guy

I have been trying to find a store that has one "In Stock".... B&H NO, Adorama NO,(But it is a pre-order at $230.00 when it arrives) Amazon NO,

EBay YES... But from $260.00 and up. I don't new stuff on eBay because it is high with Shipping most if the time.

Anyone know where a Brick and Morter has one with the $50.00 rebate in place.... In the USA ?

Any suggestions?

M5-Guy

Amazon is showing in stock for the moment $277
Thanks...
I went ahead and back-ordered one from Adorama.
It was $230.00 when I ordered it. It is now back too $279.00 when added to the cart.
I'm guessing I have the that price locked in.

RichA

I have been trying to find a store that has one "In Stock".... B&H NO, Adorama NO,(But it is a pre-order at $230.00 when it arrives) Amazon NO,

EBay YES... But from $260.00 and up. I don't new stuff on eBay because it is high with Shipping most if the time.

Anyone know where a Brick and Morter has one with the $50.00 rebate in place.... In the USA ?

Any suggestions?
Well, their current unit is no great shakes and is over 1 stop slower than the Panasonic 20mm. Granted an extra 3mm is or can be important, but I'd bet the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens at 17mm (slightly slower wide open than the Olympus 17mm) would do a better job.

M5-Guy

Any suggestions?
Well, their current unit is no great shakes and is over 1 stop slower than the Panasonic 20mm. Granted an extra 3mm is or can be important, but I'd bet the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens at 17mm (slightly slower wide open than the Olympus 17mm) would do a better job.
Don't need any more "Kit" type lenses. This camera is NOT for that.
I don't want a too close to 50mm FOV either... Don't need that "Extra" stop.. I have RF lenses that are f/2, f/1.4, & f/1.1.

This camera is for my wife, and a lot of her photography is in our Apartment or at her Moms, and Inside 80% of the time. That is, of our Son, or extended family.

IQ, from the samples I've seen, is more than enough. I don't buy the latest and greatest just because it's there, better or not. That is a successful marketing campaign to have a hand full of people "think" the newer item will be "tons better" in IQ. The 20mm may be better in IQ. But, I don't care about that... it is more about buying the "right" lens, including the "right" focal length, not necessarily the newest and/or sharpest lens.

As far IQ in lenses.... My RF lenses (all of them) will Blow away the 17 and 20. But, I'm not letting my wife shoot with the Leica M5. :D The G1 + 17 is for her use. Plus the build in flash will cover nicely for her use in side and with the 17. And indoors with Flash and the lens at F/5.6 is, from what I hear and saw a few samples, is damn sharp, like it made to shoot at f/5.6 for street shooters and candid captures. Perfect for my/wife needs. If I am shooting in available light, I prefer BW400CN in my Leica M5 with the 35mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.1 anyway.

(I have too many 35mm's, Well, 1 35mm f/1.4 prime, 1 Oly XA with sharp 35mm f/2.8, and now a 17mm f/2.8 with a FOV of 34mm). :wtf::ROTFL:

Rant Over.... :ROTFL:
Thanks for the reply...

Last edited:

M5-Guy

If you can cancel the order (I'm sure you can since it's not shipped yet), I found one on ebay for $260 (linked below) with free shipping. Add 8% cashback and you can get the lens for around $239 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-17mm-F2...mera_Lenses&hash=item3a5bf8bd97#ht_1718wt_708
I could, and I should of, because PopPhoto had one on eBay for $237.00 Shipped, But, I stalled.
It's OK, I'll wait... If I could afford an M>m43 right now, that would allow some use 'till the lens is shipped. But, I tied up all my Money in the G1 and 17mm from my 90 Cron sale. Oh Well.