The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a Leica m lens w/Gf1

Scargos2

I purchased a used GF1 camera today. It will be a back up camera. So I want to use a Lecia M lens on this camera, how do you focus a m lens with the GF1. I hope that is possible to do.
Also what would be a good adapter to use with a M lens.

Thanks Rick

Godfrey

I purchased a used GF1 camera today. It will be a back up camera. So I want to use a Lecia M lens on this camera, how do you focus a m lens with the GF1. I hope that is possible to do.
Also what would be a good adapter to use with a M lens.
in reverse order:

- Leica M to Micro-FourThirds adapters are more the same than different. The higher end ones provide more precise tolerances and closer to expected calibration of the focusing ring index. You can buy from a variety of sources through Ebay or go direct to people like Steve Gandy at CameraQuest.com. Prices range from $40 to $190, or direct from Panasonic too.

- To use an adapted manual lens with the GF1:

* Set the Custom menu option SHOOT W/O LENS to ON
* Mount the lens and adapter assembly on the camera
* Set Manual Focus
* Select either Aperture priority or Manual exposure mode, depending upon your preference
* Focus the lens using the LCD (or optional EVF) until the image is sharp 1
* Set the aperture you want to use on the lens
* Depending upon your exposure mode setting, either use the control dial to adjust the exposure time per the meter reading or use the control dial to set the EV compensation appropriate for the scene.
* Frame with the LCD or EVF, make the exposure.

1 - Focusing is as simple as turning the focusing ring until the image is sharp on the LCD. Adapted manual lenses will always be stopped down to the aperture you set them to ... small apertures increase DoF ... so if the focus changes very slowly open up the lens for focusing.

The GF1 allows "Manual Focus Assist" which means it will enlarge the view on the LCD or EVF to a portion of the field to help with critical focusing. This is elected on this model using an adapted manual lens by pressing the left arrow and then Menu button. Alternatively, with the latest body firmware, you can enable this mode by pressing the control dial when in Manual Focus mode. (You turn it off by pressing the shutter release half way.)

By and large, it's simpler to use adapted manual lenses in practice than it is to describe how to use them ... In operation, it's a simple, fluid workflow despite all the steps I mention above. I normally use adapted manual lenses on the G1 in Aperture priority mode and I often forget that they're lenses created long before the Micro-FourThirds cameras were even dreamed about. ;-)

Scargos2

Godfrey your the man!! Thank you very much. It sounds like, that using a GF1 will be easy and usefully. My next project will be to purchase an adapter and practice, practice.
Thanks again
Rick Rickard

Godfrey

Godfrey your the man!! Thank you very much. It sounds like, that using a GF1 will be easy and usefully. My next project will be to purchase an adapter and practice, practice.
Glad to help.

As I said, I use the G1 quite a lot with adapted manual lenses. After using a loaned GF1 for a bit, I know I would obtain one of the optional EVFs if I bought the GF1. I missed having an eye-level viewfinder to work with.

jsnack

Hello Rick. I'm pretty sure you bought the GF-1 from me...it's on it's way to you. I already had the camera set up to shoot with manual lenses. You shouldn't have to change any settings. I used a Voigtlander 50/2.5 without any problems.

I purchased the adapter I used from jinfinace on ebay. It worked perfectly.

seakayaker

Rick, I have a GF1 with a number of lens including a few Leica's, 50/2 (1951), 90/4 (1954), 135/4.5 (1960) and a 35/2 (2001). Also have a 50/1.5 and 75/2.5 Voigtlander LTM lens. If you check out the 'Photograph Your Bokeh' thread and 'Fun with the four/thirds Camera/Image' threads you will find a lot of lens attached to the GF1 and other models.

Welcome and post some shots . . . . .

DAISIES

GF1 with Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Summitar 5 cm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/800 -- 5 cm

Having Fun With the GF1

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Ron M

When using a Leica lens with an adapter, does the viewfinder/screen darken as the aperture is stopped down? (like it does when using the depth of field preview control on an SLR, or [really dating myself] like using a pre-set lens on an SLR? )

lmr

Ron... Not really. The EVF or LCD dims a bit then adjust itself to be bright again. This really helps in focusing in most lighting condition. BTW... you can zoom in via the EVF or LCD for better focus accuracy in low light condition too.

Using Nocti on my G1, focus is almost always spot on.

Robert.