The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Panasonic kit lens a cynical experiment in cost-cutting

monza

It seems to me that a lot of posters in this forum are serious snappers. The fact that we are using m4/3rds at all is counter intuitive. I've never owned a kit lens and even if I do ever buy a G2, I would attempt to do so without the kit lens. With the 7-14, 40/1.4 and 45/2.8, I would argue that serious use of the m4/3rd format is covered.

Now flame me!

LouisB

Pretty big gap between 14mm and 40mm. :)

The 14-45 kit is a great lens, I don't use it at the long end because it is slow, but it's nice for a 28mm wide angle.

P

PeterLeyssens

Like BigLouis, I never owned a kit zoom. I've made the mistake once to buy a 35-70 for my Olympus OM SLR: I hardly ever used it and gave it away or something. I don't even remember. I find zooms practical only for focal lengths that I hardly use, like very wide angles (the 7-14 and 9-18) or very long range (e.g. 40-150). Even then, the disadvantages may make it impossible to use it: I had the 40-150 for my E-420, but the aperture was so slow that I had a hard time using it in a useful way.

Peter.

V

Vivek

Capitalism. They will either succeed with the G2 at the price point they have it, or they will have to lower the price. ;)
Given G1's track record (at least as sampled here in the Netherlands), there will be a whole bunch of them floating around (perhaps a whole lot more than the G1) despite price reductions, cash back offers, etc (one forum is actively pushing G1 being sold by their "partners" Amazon, etc on their front page).

One aspect of capitalism would show a lot of cash flow in the books. At the end of the day, things may not add up positively.

RichA

It seems to me that a lot of posters in this forum are serious snappers. The fact that we are using m4/3rds at all is counter intuitive. I've never owned a kit lens and even if I do ever buy a G2, I would attempt to do so without the kit lens. With the 7-14, 40/1.4 and 45/2.8, I would argue that serious use of the m4/3rd format is covered.

Now flame me!

LouisB
Except for: Fast short zooms, long lenses, long macros, fast normal primes, etc, etc.

Diane B

Pretty big gap between 14mm and 40mm. :)

The 14-45 kit is a great lens, I don't use it at the long end because it is slow, but it's nice for a 28mm wide angle.
I find it a quite usable lens for some purposes--too slow for me for many things, but when I want stopped down, I find it quite good. I tend to carry the 20, 45 and Oly 9-18 with adapter and usually one of my FD lenses, but at times I just stick in the 14-45 and maybe the 20.

Mozbee

Now flame me!

LouisB
What is your 40/1.4?