The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Panasonic kit lens a cynical experiment in cost-cutting

RichA

Boo, Panasonic. Up to now, you'd done just about everything right. For the users, grab a 14-45mm (Japanese) while you still can!!

Dpreview: (G2 review)

Finally, it's worth mentioning that the new cheaper kit lens is a step backwards compared to its predecessor. Stopped down it's as least as good as any kit lens on the market, but wide open it just isn't very impressive at all. At normal print sizes you're unlikely to be troubled by the change - and of course there are plenty of excellent MFT lenses available (not least the lovely 20mm pancake) - but its a real disappointment to see corner cutting like this having a negative impact on image quality.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually I found mine not all that bad performance-wise, being about equal to the predecessor 14-45. The new lens also focuses dead silent with no noise. However it does feel "cheaper," being mostly plastic and lighter weight relative to the older version.

RichA

Actually I found mine not all that bad performance-wise, being about equal to the predecessor 14-45. The new lens also focuses dead silent with no noise. However it does feel "cheaper," being mostly plastic and lighter weight relative to the older version.
They shifted production from Japan to China of the camera and the lens, they cheaped-out on lens construction and optics. There is no higher ground available, like getting a 14-54mm II or 12-60mm like Olympus has for it's DSLRs. Where has the consumer not gotten screwed here? Saved a couple grams in weight? What are we, 100 years old? Video added? I could care less. If I want video, I'll use a dedicated camera like the GH1 or a real video camera. Meanwhile, they reduced the value and quality of the camera overall. Not that migrators from P&S's will ever notice. It's just depressing that cameras are made mostly for an increasing impoverished American audience who demand price and or cost-cutting at every turn.

V

Vivek

Hi Rich, I would like to disagree with your initial post.

The 14-42 is a fitting tribute for the G2. Match made in Pana heavens (wherever they are located).

Brian Mosley

Well, we can always migrate to Leica... that'll teach 'em for cheaping out on us! :D

Seriously, I love the look and feel of the Pen (still haven't seen a GF1 in a real shop) - hopefully we'll see the high spec m4/3rds body next from Olympus.

Cheers

Brian

monza

Competition drives costs down, they have to get the costs out of it somewhere. These cameras are only in use for a short time until new ones come out, no one is going to be using a 70 year old G2 like I use my 70 year old Leica IIIc. :) So why bother adding to the cost with higher build quality at this segment of the market?

Brian Mosley

I think you're right monza - but there's nothing to stop them making high quality disposable cams too.

I'm sure the next big thing for m4/3rds bodies will be to lose the focal plane shutter and go to an all electronic global shutter. That will drive costs down.

Cheers

Brian

aleksanderpolo

Side by side comparison of the 14-45 to 14-42 on dpreview shows the new lens is pretty bad, especially near wide open. Now it's the time for Panny to announce the lens sent to dpreview as "pre-production" model...

V

Vivek

Come on folks, can't you see that the touch screen and the silent zoom are an order of magnitude improvement over the previous things?

V

Vivek

Competition drives costs down, they have to get the costs out of it somewhere. These cameras are only in use for a short time until new ones come out, no one is going to be using a 70 year old G2 like I use my 70 year old Leica IIIc. :) So why bother adding to the cost with higher build quality at this segment of the market?

Robert, The self destruct button has not kicked in on any of my G1s yet. May be you are right, it would in 6 months and I will be forced to buy a G2? :confused:

Godfrey

I don't use any of the kit lenses. They're simply too slow for my uses. And I never really like using "normal zooms" anyway, even the excellent ones.

B

bcostin

Isn't every kit lens an excercise in cynical cost cutting? These aren't price-is-no-object L-series glass. The goal is to make an adequate lens at an acceptable price. Discriminating buyers have the option to buy a body and lens separately.

RichA

Well, we can always migrate to Leica... that'll teach 'em for cheaping out on us! :D

Seriously, I love the look and feel of the Pen (still haven't seen a GF1 in a real shop) - hopefully we'll see the high spec m4/3rds body next from Olympus.

Cheers

Brian
Hopefully, because we know where people migrate when things get worse with the second-tier cameras, they go to Nikon and Canon. They already have enough market share.

RichA

Isn't every kit lens an excercise in cynical cost cutting? These aren't price-is-no-object L-series glass. The goal is to make an adequate lens at an acceptable price. Discriminating buyers have the option to buy a body and lens separately.
Not in terms of progression. Canon's original 18-55mm was lousy, it's gotten better. So has Nikon's 18-55mm. The Olympus 14-45mm became the 14-42mm (DSLR lens)which was more cheaply made, but that made sense because the weight reduction was substantial and the optics improved. Sony sensibly canned the terrible 18-70mm and replaced it with a more conservative 18-55mm with much better optics. So, going backwards in optical quality really is a stupid thing to do.

RichA

They cut their labour costs 5-10x by going to China and didn't pass any savings on to the customers. Isn't that enough of a savings, they have to cheapen the equipment too?

biglouis

It seems to me that a lot of posters in this forum are serious snappers. The fact that we are using m4/3rds at all is counter intuitive. I've never owned a kit lens and even if I do ever buy a G2, I would attempt to do so without the kit lens. With the 7-14, 40/1.4 and 45/2.8, I would argue that serious use of the m4/3rd format is covered.

Now flame me!

LouisB

monza

They cut their labour costs 5-10x by going to China and didn't pass any savings on to the customers. Isn't that enough of a savings, they have to cheapen the equipment too?
Capitalism. They will either succeed with the G2 at the price point they have it, or they will have to lower the price. ;)