The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Contax G lenses on m43

scho

That's nice Carl.
What is it making the 35mm your walk-about favourite? Just the FOV?
Thanks Jonas. Yes, primarily the FOV. The 45 is also nice, but FOV is often a bit too tight. Thanks also for re-posting your shots from the adapter thread. Would be nice if we could get them all moved over here to have them all in one thread.

seakayaker

Purple Flower

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/200

. . . . . could not find the name for this flower.

Love the color, sharp edges and bokeh produced with the Contax G lenses!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~;)

seakayaker

Gladiolus

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/100

. . . . . walk by the 'P' Patch by Lake Union this evening.

Top photo (90/2.8) from Sunday, and shot this photo (45/2) this evening . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

AlterMann

Hi Carl -
I wonder :bugeyes: how you shot this impressing IR-picture.
It does not look like you used a IR-Filter, because in that case exposure-time would have been too long for the maybe moving birds in the scenery.
Greetings from old Europe!

scho

Hi Carl -
It does not look like you used a IR-Filter, because in that case exposure-time would have been too long for the maybe moving birds in the scenery.
AlterMann,

My G1 camera was converted for dedicated IR use by Precision Camera. They remove the AA/IR cut filter package in front of the sensor and replaced it with a 715nm IR pass filter. Several people on this forum are using converted IR m43 cameras. See Jack's thread here and this thread for more images.

kds315

Hi Carl -
Welcome here!

kds315

Gladiolus

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/100

. . . . . walk by the 'P' Patch by Lake Union this evening.

Top photo (90/2.8) from Sunday, and shot this photo (45/2) this evening . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Wonderful shot Dan and a great lens you have used!!

seakayaker

. . . . . thank you Klaus for your kind words. I do love the 45/2 & 90/2.8 Contax G lens! The quality of the Carl Zeiss Contax G lenses for the price you pay for them from the used marketplace is unbelievable. If push came to shove and I had to live with only a couple of manual lenses, these two would garnish considerable consideration as the ones to keep.

Pink Flower
(could not find the name of this flower in a couple of books I have in the house)

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/1300

. . . . . and a photo using the 90/2.8

Feathered Poppy

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/1300

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Dan

The bokeh in this one really enhances the subject - I love it :thumbs:

Keith

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/1300

seakayaker

Echinacea

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/30

. . . . . and one from the 90/2.8

Lilly & Geraniums

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/800

Live is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Grass

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/2000

. . . . . and . . . . .

Purple Flower

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/1300

Life is Grand!
Dan
~ ;)

Jonas

To celebrate my new Metabone adapter I give you the three first shots with it (or the second to the fourth ones... the first one wasn't really possible to even look at).

Above: Planar 45/2 wide open. No, it's not an APO lens but here it managed OK. Handheld and focused at the front wood.

Above: Elisabeth (from the "Looking good?" image above. Hmm. Well, she likes to spend part of her life with me so at least unique then.) For the first time I had no problems tune the focusing really quick. The Planar 45 wide open, handheld and sharper than we, or she, really need.

and finally;

Above: The image is posted in aRGB mode and is a try to show red colors with the G1 and the Planar 45 (profiled at the time with X-rite Passport). I'm not very interested in flowers, and sure enough, I burned them somewhat despite holding the exposure back, but I know these would have been more overall orange with my Canon gear.

Cheers,

/Jonas

seakayaker

Jonas, three lovely shots with the 45/2 lens!

Lovely bokeh in the first shot with the glasses and the second portrait shot. It is a sharp lens and certainly brings out the full detail in the image.

Thanks for sharing!

Hopefully you will continue to update with photos taken with the use of the Metabone's adaptor and let us know your opinion about the use of a period of time.

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

Jonas

Dan, thank you, but I think you are too kind. Those are just snaps as I tried my new adapter. But OK, they show the bokeh can be good also at f/2 sometimes (also if I find it too harsh in the majority of situations and find it better to stop down to f/2.8), that the lens is "sharp" enough (and actually measures better than the Zuiko Digital 50/2 Macro when I compared them). The lastimage should probably not have been posted at all. Blown reds (not a lot of the but some parts of petals) is not god for demonstrating red colors, and maybe posting the image as an aRGB image was stupid. I checked it later in a not color managed browser... yikes.

Hmm, that was a lot of brackets.

I'll get back if I happen to get something demonstrating a feature o the lens.

Cheers,

/Jonas

seakayaker

Yellow Lillies

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/3200

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Seaplane Landing in Lake Union - Seattle, WA

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/2500

Life is Grand!