The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Contax G lenses on m43

scho

Post your images taken with Contax G lenses adapted to m43 bodies here.

Here is one taken today with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar mounted on a G1 (IR). This particular G lens is my favorite walk around MF lens for casual shooting.

Leica 77

Post your images taken with Contax G lenses adapted to m43 bodies here.

Here is one taken today with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar mounted on a G1 (IR). This particular G lens is my favorite walk around MF lens for casual shooting.

Hi Carl,

It's wonderful that you have taken the initiative to start a new thread, "Fun with Contax G Lenses on m43". In the near future, I will join you and post some of the images recorded by my Contax G lenses. All the best, Leica 77. :)

scho

Hi Carl,

It's wonderful that you have taken the initiative to start a new thread, "Fun with Contax G Lenses on m43". In the near future, I will join you and post some of the images recorded by my Contax G lenses. All the best, Leica 77. :)
Thanks Leica77. I'm looking forward to seeing your images taken with the Contax G lenses.

seakayaker

Hi Carl, thank you for taking the time to start the Contax G Lens photo thread!

The Street Musician

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/2000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

scho

Hi Carl, thank you for taking the time to start the Contax G Lens photo thread!

The Street Musician

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/2000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
Dan,
Thank you for posting your nice street shot taken with the 45. Keep them coming.

seakayaker

Heads Down at the Coffee Shop

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/2 -- 1/125

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Leica 77

Beautiful camera, nicely taken with a beautiful lens.
Hi Carl,
Many thanks for your kind comments. If many of us submit our images taken with fine Contax G lenses, then this thread will thrive under your leadership! Best, Leica 77. :thumbs: :)

scho

A small contingent of the omnipresent park geese. Another image taken with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar on the G1-IR.

apicius9

Just a few taken at the Chinese Cemetery in Manoa, Honolulu. I was just getting warmed up when it started to rain... All with the 45/2 at f5.6. I used 'auto tone' in the new LR3 and like the result.

Stefan

scho

Just a few taken at the Chinese Cemetery in Manoa, Honolulu. I was just getting warmed up when it started to rain... All with the 45/2 at f5.6. I used 'auto tone' in the new LR3 and like the result.

Stefan
Stefan,
Very nice images. I think that I see a few rain drops coming down in the last shot. I'm also using LR3 and I'm very pleased with the processing and printing features.

seakayaker

Stefan,
Very nice images. I think that I see a few rain drops coming down in the last shot. I'm also using LR3 and I'm very pleased with the processing and printing features.
+1 -- Great Shots! Love the bokeh even at 5.6!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

California Poppy

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/2500

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Jonas

Hi Carl,
I discovered this thread and decided to copy parts of some of my posts in the thread about adapters. I hope you don't mind this cross-posting.

=======
From post 182081:

I have been working a lot lately, the weather is grey and so on, but just for the sake of it I can post this high ISO handheld thing taken in bad light at a mall:

Doesn't look like anything special at all but here is a 100% crop:

If that can be done handheld at f/2, 1/45 and close distance I think it confirms my initial impression of the lens. A short but boring test series taken at home in better light was of course better.

From post 182853:
More initial results. They aren't surprising but it is good to learn that all I've heard is true.

G1, Contax G Planar 45/2:

A Zeiss made in japan, very sharp, as it often is with Zeiss lenses. When running a series of images through IMA-test the lens performed as good as other classic very good lenses (comparable to OM90/2Macro (sharper than Leica Elmarit-R 100/2.8 Macro APO) and a tad better than the OM50/2Macro and ZD50/2 Macro also if not visible in small prints).
The borders are sharp at f/2 and f/2.8, then they are very sharp.
The corners are sharp at f/2.8 and very sharp at f/5.6.
As IMA-test targets are even more boring than USAF charts I post the later:

Very good​

The lens also passed a simple flare test. Not only passed, it performed among the best I have seen. When mounting a filter it got worse but not worse than one can predict. Below is the f/2 result, no filter:

Very very good​

In real life it means one doesn't need to worry. It's great with a late standard construction. Here is a simple sample from a short walk yesterday, shooting distance may have been around 8 meters or so:

Wide open, in a back yard of an office, overcast. I know, Barnack says "No statues" but...​

And finally, a 100% crop taken from the image above:

You judge​

It's like having a new reference lens.

From post 189511:

"Looking good?" G1, Planar G 45/2, @f/2

regards,

/Jonas