The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Am i asking to much for my PL 14-150

mark1000

Guys, i have a PL 14-150mm for sale on another forum ( AVforums ) for £850, i had plenty of viewers but not a sniff other than a tech ?, i checked the new price in the UK and found only one seller that had a genuine UK product for £1200, i found one seller on the international Ebay search who is selling for about £900 + import duty + postage and only with a Japanese warranty , i need your advise on what this lens is worth, it has 1 month left on the warranty and is in perfect condition.

Mods, if i have broken any rules with this post please let me know.

Mark.

DavidL

In the final analysis it's worth what you can get for it. The problem is, as good as a lens it has a limited interest. Your searches on the internet have found this. I gave up trying to get a reasonable (well I thought it was) price for a Nikon 14-24 f2.8. At the time it was pretty much unused but no one wanted to part with £950. Think that was my last price.
Possibly the best place to try and sell it is on http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/ They have a buy and sell page and everyone on that site is into 4/3ds. I think they charge these days if your not a paid up member. Presume you've tried here? If not give it a go but don't ask me how much to ask for it.
The logic is you could get the 14-140, which is better for video, for less. You can get that with a GH1 for about what you're asking and wouldn't need an adaptor.
As for trade in it's not good. A friend of mine just traded in an Olympus 7-14 f4 and got £500. This is a desirable 4/3ds lens. Warehouse express have it listed at £1500 ish.
I'm just getting into micro 4/3ds and as much as I'd like this lens there are others that I would like more. There's a 7-14 not selling (As yet) for £700 here, which I would argue is as valuable as yours. So I would say that's about your price-mark. Won't insult you with what I would pay for it as it must be worth more to you unless your quitting 4/3ds
Hope I haven't depressed you too much. I'm just thinking out loud for you.

mark1000

In the final analysis it's worth what you can get for it. The problem is, as good as a lens it has a limited interest. Your searches on the internet have found this. I gave up trying to get a reasonable (well I thought it was) price for a Nikon 14-24 f2.8. At the time it was pretty much unused but no one wanted to part with £950. Think that was my last price.
Possibly the best place to try and sell it is on http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/ They have a buy and sell page and everyone on that site is into 4/3ds. I think they charge these days if your not a paid up member. Presume you've tried here? If not give it a go but don't ask me how much to ask for it.
The logic is you could get the 14-140, which is better for video, for less. You can get that with a GH1 for about what you're asking and wouldn't need an adaptor.
As for trade in it's not good. A friend of mine just traded in an Olympus 7-14 f4 and got £500. This is a desirable 4/3ds lens. Warehouse express have it listed at £1500 ish.
I'm just getting into micro 4/3ds and as much as I'd like this lens there are others that I would like more. There's a 7-14 not selling (As yet) for £700 here, which I would argue is as valuable as yours. So I would say that's about your price-mark. Won't insult you with what I would pay for it as it must be worth more to you unless your quitting 4/3ds
Hope I haven't depressed you too much. I'm just thinking out loud for you.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated, no i'm not getting out of 4/3 or m4/3 its just that i use a E520 and 70-300 for my birds and a GH1 and 14-140 for my video needs and just don't have much use for the PL14-150, if the PL 14-150 did CAF in video mode we wouldn't be having this conversation as the PL14-150 is soooo much better than the 14-140.

Mark.

jonoslack

Hi There Mark
I'm afraid that although this is a fine place for selling kit in the States, it's not so good here - I think that in 3 years here I've only managed to sell one thing (hence shifting my recent sales on to ebay)
Your price is perfectly reasonable, just that you need to get someone in the UK to look.

all the best

Brian Mosley

Hi Mark, if you're an OPSG member we have a For Sale section in our coordination website... that could be an option for you.

I have a PL 14-150 for sale too (although I haven't advertised it yet) - maybe you'll get more interest when Olympus announce their next 4/3rds camera.

Cheers

Brian

pcb_dpi

As has been said, it's worth what you can get for it. Recent ebay sales have seen three used ones go at US$720, $800 and $895. You might be able to get a better price on a forum somewhere, maybe not....

DavidL

As has been said, it's worth what you can get for it. Recent ebay sales have seen three used ones go at US$720, $800 and $895. You might be able to get a better price on a forum somewhere, maybe not....
Not sure He'll want to hear that because they are approx £460 £510 and £570.

mark1000

Thanks for all the input guys, maybe i'll just keep it and buy one of the Argos E420 kits that are going in the UK for £209 at the moment, although i did read that the OIS on PL 14-150 kills the battery on the E420 really quick as its always on.

Mark.

Brian Mosley

Mark, that would be a great option... the battery lasts pretty well (always carry a spare though) - just switch off the OIS when you don't need it.

E-420 + PL 14-150mm f3.5-5.6
1/100s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

1/40s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

1/125s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

1/160s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso100

1/200s f/8.0 at 80.0mm iso400

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

mark1000

I love that image of the cow Brian, superb mate, beside the lack of IBS on the E420 how well does it compare to my E520 regarding noise.

Sorry guys i have gone OT.

Mark.

Brian Mosley

It's about the same in terms of sensor IQ Mark. I shoot raw and if noise becomes an issue, deal with it in PP.

Cheers

Brian

mark1000

Well i went for the E420 option and decided to keep the PL 14-150 for use with that body, would you believe it, no sooner i attached the PL 14-150 to the E420 the PL 14-150 bit the dust and died, the focus motor had a fit and then refused to work at all, i tried it out on three bodies without any success, lucky it was still in warranty by 2/3 weeks, so i have sent it in for repair.

Mark.

S

scouse

Hi guys, I found the dpi forums when googling for info on this lens, (the pl14-150.) I was getting really disappointing results with my (kit) 40-150 lens, some really soft photos, even though others seem happy with theirs.

I was tossing up the idea of getting a new 40-150, they run under $100 dollars here (about 65GBP) or the PL14-150 to replace it.

Google led me to Marks post, stunned me, I didn't realise lens's were so expensive back in the UK.
I checked costs here in the US and came up with approx price of under $600 new. (approx 390pounds) Which would made it workable if I could convince my wife...:rolleyes:

Those photos of Brian's are really encouraging, sharp clean pics. Well composed and presented.

Thanks, Ken

Last edited:

mark1000

Hi guys, I found the dpi forums when googling for info on this lens, (the pl14-150.) I was getting really disappointing results with my (kit) 40-150 lens, some really soft photos, even though others seem happy with theirs.

I was tossing up the idea of getting a new 40-150, they run under $100 dollars here (about 65GBP) or the PL14-150 to replace it.

Google led me to Marks post, stunned me, I didn't realise lens's were so expensive back in the UK.
I checked costs here in the US and came up with approx price of under $600 new. (approx 390pounds) Which would made it workable if I could convince my wife...:rolleyes:

Those photos of Brian's are really encouraging, sharp clean pics. Well composed and presented.

Thanks, Ken
Hi Ken, you sure the lens you found for $600 is a new PL 14-150 or is it a OLy m 4/3 14-150, $600 seems well low to me.

Mark.

S

scouse

Mark, I hadn't realized that Oly made '2' 14-150 lens's

The PL and the ED it's the ED that's up for $600. The PL does cost cost a "little" more. Yours looks like a decent price for the PL from what I've seen out there. I little higher than what I can justify to the ways and means committee. :)

Thanks for the heads up!
Ken