The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Elmarit Question

J

jakieff

Hello

If I shake my Lumix Leica Macro-Elmarit a bit, it makes a noise, if something inside the lens is loose.
I'm not sure that the lens performs always very well. I have some slightly focus misses on my GF1 in sunny light and short times, but other photos are very good.

Are there some of you who have observed the same behavior.

regards

Jacques

RonSmith

They all do that. It has something to do with the stabilization when the lens is dismounted or the camera is turned off. Mount the lens, turn on the camera and see if still does it.

By the way, I love my 45.

biglouis

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for telling us as I was contemplating posting a similar question. I put it on the GF-1 turned it on and the rattling stopped.

LouisB

J

jakieff

You are right. The noise stops, once the GF1 powered on. Nothing anormal then.

Other question : what is your preferred AF setting for doing Macros ?
My GF1 is setup to the mid point and sometimes is rather slow and does not always find directly the wright focus.

Jacques

simonclivehughes

You're almost always better to manual focus macro shots. I sometimes use the AF to get "in the ballpark" and then switch to MF.

Cheers,

photoSmart42

I do all my macro using manual focus. AF is just too unreliable and slow for capturing moving targets that close up IMO.

biglouis

In my case, it depends. The only negative aspect of this lens is that I find the AF is poor. But that is solved (obviously) by manually focussing.

What is your favourite f-stop? Mine if f3.2 - this seems to be a really sweet spot with the lens, producing lovely background blur.

LouisB