The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panoramas

biglouis

I thought it would be fun (interesting) to show a panorama I created with my GF-1 and PanaLeica 45/2.8. The I figured it would be even better to start a panorama thread.

This is a panorama of 4 photographs taken from the top of King's Stairs in Rotherhithe looking towards Tower Bridge and the 'square mile'.

You can also easily create 'zoomable' pictures with the technology from Zoom.it.

Here is a link to a zoomable version: http://zoom.it/NHbp

biglouis

Very nice panorama of the Thames, Louis! Do you use PS to stich them together or some kind of special program?

Michiel
Thanks for the comment.

I use a product called AutoPano (just Google and you should find it). It may be a bit behind the times now and I haven't looked to see if there is a better technology available.

LouisB

JGH

Louis thats a great pamorama. This is a good idea for a seperate thread and has given me the insperation to go try and shoot some for myself once i find something worthy of a panorama.
I kind of miss London. I worked in the "square mile" for a couple of years, the tube in the summertime was a killer. Was so hot..
However, still glad i moved here. Life is alot slower..

Thanks for the nostalgic image.
J

biglouis

Louis thats a great pamorama. This is a good idea for a seperate thread and has given me the insperation to go try and shoot some for myself once i find something worthy of a panorama.
I kind of miss London. I worked in the "square mile" for a couple of years, the tube in the summertime was a killer. Was so hot..
However, still glad i moved here. Life is alot slower..

Thanks for the nostalgic image.
J
Glad you liked it, I look forward to seeing your results!

LouisB

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Hi everybody, this is my first post here

This panorama captures the buzz of the opening reception for a youth photography show inside the historic Hadwen and Barney Candle Factory, a part of the Whaling Museum on the island of Nantucket, MA. It was a great gathering of young people, friends and family, and I wanted to capture the spirit of the community inside such an impressive historic setting.

It is a stitch of 6x2 pictures taken by G1 and 14-45 Kit lens set at 14mm. AOV is 216x138 before cropping. ISO 400, 1/20, f/3.5, handheld. Thanks for watching.

Annna T

Hi everybody, this is my first post here

This panorama captures the buzz of the opening reception for a youth photography show inside the historic Hadwen and Barney Candle Factory, a part of the Whaling Museum on the island of Nantucket, MA. It was a great gathering of young people, friends and family, and I wanted to capture the spirit of the community inside such an impressive historic setting.

It is a stitch of 6x2 pictures taken by G1 and 14-45 Kit lens set at 14mm. AOV is 216x138 before cropping. ISO 400, 1/20, f/3.5, handheld. Thanks for watching.
Wow.. congratulation, this is an impressive picture where your intent comes very well through, I like it.

Concerning the technical aspect I'm really wondering how you were able to nail it : at 1/20 second, with moving people and handheld, I guess there was some postprocessing needed after the first merge : what kind of software did you use ? how did you achieve all this ?

manouch shirzad

Thanks Annna
You are right. It was quite a challenge but I am happy with the result .The top row was the main problem and it took around 30 seconds to shoot 7 pictures, the light coming from the windows without any blinds was also a problem, besides the difference in color temperature of outside and inside lights there was an eight f stops difference in the intensity of light, bottom row was not of that much problem and is a stitch of five pictures I used raw files and in some parts extracted up to four files with different exposures and white balances and mixed them. The total time of post processing was around 25 hours and the softwares that were used are, PTGui. Photomatix and PS4.

scho

A three shot pano of Kilauea caldera taken with the E-P2+Lumix 7-14. Sorry for the re-post from last spring, but thought this was a better place to put the pano.

Beauty & The Beast

biglouis

Shawn, Manoucher, Carl

Great examples. Interesting to see a b&w pano - love the indoor one, very difficult to get a good static rendition with so many people and I really like the landscape!

Keep them coming, please

Louis

biglouis

Klaus

Three interesting and eyecatching panoramas. I must say that the flower is a very original subject for a panorama! And the one that went wrong also has an artistic appeal!

LouisB

manouch shirzad

Thanks Louis,
Klaus
Very nice pictures, the last one really looks nice, can you post the low rez of individual
pictures to play with, I like to learn what went wrong.

Jonas

I thought it would be fun (interesting)
Hi Louis,

I'm not sure what one really should use these large panos for but it sure is fun. I enjoyed zooming in your London view. Just for fun I decided to make one myself. Not spectacular in any way, it's just the evening outside my balcony here in Gothenburg, Sweden.

4 images stitched together taken during a warm sunset:

and a zoom-it version with more moderate PPing: http://zoom.it/A8cL

The distance from my house to the wheel is 1.700m and I used my G1 with a 180mm lens.

It's fun playing!

Cheers,

/Jonas

biglouis

Hi Louis,

I'm not sure what one really should use these large panos for but it sure is fun. I enjoyed zooming in your London view. Just for fun I decided to make one myself. Not spectacular in any way, it's just the evening outside my balcony here in Gothenburg, Sweden.

4 images stitched together taken during a warm sunset:

and a zoom-it version with more moderate PPing: http://zoom.it/A8cL

The distance from my house to the wheel is 1.700m and I used my G1 with a 180mm lens.

It's fun playing!

Cheers,

/Jonas
Great result. I really enjoy being able to zoom in and see quite exact detail.

LouisB

Jonas

Great result. I really enjoy being able to zoom...
Thank you Louis. It was you showing me the way to zoom.it and I thought I have to try at least something.

When looking at the "original" in your post I landed at Flickr and among other things found The Valiant House there. Great stuff.

regards,

/Jonas

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's one from a recent trip, this is the beach at San Sebastian, Spain. It's not art, but a fun 'post card' reminder of the trip. A 6 shot, 180 degree pano, taken with a Panny G2 with 14-140 zoom, handheld. This pano was assembled from the in-camera jpegs using AutoPano Giga. The full size after pano crop is roughly 2800x15,000 pixels; I have downsized to 1200 wide here. It is still a work in progress as I would normally carefully process out tiffs then edit the blends to eliminate issues. Current issues are horizon not quite perfect, some blend edge issues in the distant detail and the ghosted people on the beach. I am however conflicted on removing the ghosted people, as it adds motion to the image. C&C welcome:

A 3500 pixel wide version can be seen in the "huge" thread here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18307&page=6

Here's another from the G2 and 14-140 using in-cam jpegs. This one at Biarritz from the lighthouse. I took 5 frames here covering maybe 120 degrees. Interestingly, it blended far better using just three of the 5 than it did all 5. Something to keep in mind if you do panos regularly, is if you get artifacts consider removing frames you do not need to fill the pano. Always better to take more than you need and toss them later though... C&C welcome:

The Panny lens and camera using in-cam jpeg combo detail isn't too shabby either. Here is an 800x800 actual pixel crop from the above pano just for reference. A tad oversharpened, but not horrible even for largish prints: