The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m43 users of legacy lenses--lens collars?

B

bruce1s

Any suggestions for telephoto legacy lenses with built-in tripod collars/mount or an add-on accessory tripod collar/mount?

If not, ever heard of legacy lens extension tubes with a built-in tripod mount? (I could put up with the loss of light caused by the extension tube if a collar is impossible).

Is there such a thing as a "Universal" tripod collar that will grip many different lenses? All the collars I've seen so far have been for specific lenses, one example: "Canon Tripod Mount Ring B" and "Ring A" (and third-party mounts targeting the same lenses).

I know such accessories will seem useless to those of you who use m4/3 only when you need the smallest possible system. But I like long lenses and would love to be able to use some of the great 100mm, 135mm, 180mm, and 200mm legacy lenses that sell for cheap.

But starting about 100-105mm (200mm 35mm equiv FOV) I begin to need a camera support--even with the miracle of OIS. But the G1 is so tiny and light compared to these long legacy lenses and would much prefer to hang the G1 off of the lens rather than hang the lens off of the G1.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to think outside the box. For instance, maybe the easiest thing to do is to buy an Oly classic 4/3 zoom, e.g. ED 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD ($1000) or 35-100/2.0 ($2000 ouch!). But I don't want to spend that much. And I'd still need an adapter. Not to mention that I would then need to wait for Oly to produce a body I wanted to buy.

I await your responses. Thank you.

M5-Guy

With guards to extension tube tripod mount... not really needed, they are light enough and using the tripod mount on the camera will work fine.
In fact, unless your considering a fast 200/2.8 or 300/2.8, most 100-300mm lenses at a standard f/stop f/4-f/5.6, won't be to heavy either.

There is a lens cradle that has a "V" shape that attaches to a tripod poll I believe...And A strap type from Bogan.
Bogan Link

Godfrey

For adapted manual lenses in the 100-135mm range from most manufacturers, the G1's tripod mount is generally fine.

Pentax SMC Takumar fitted on G1 ...

The same lens fitted to the EC14 on the G1 (for a 190mm f/4.9) is still easily managed on the camera's tripod mount.

I would recommend buying longer lenses that include their own tripod mounting foot. I had a Nikkor 180/2.8AI which was a delightful performer, but I sold it because it was very awkward to use hand-held and too heavy for use with the G1 on a tripod.

I used the G1 with the ZD 50-200 a bit ...

Lovely lens, superb quality imaging, very nice tripod mount.

pellicle

Hi

Any suggestions for telephoto legacy lenses with built-in tripod collars/mount or an add-on accessory tripod collar/mount?
so far I've only worried about it for my longer telephoto lenses. I bought the FD 300 f4 lens because it had a nice operational collar.

its nicer than the collar on the OM 300 (just) and optically indistinguishable. Thus the Canon FD won my vote out of those two.

however for my other telephoto lenses (like 200mm f4) I have not found it a problem. For instance on the FD200mm lens it seems short and light enough to not be a significant issue. There are a few (though not many) lenses that have this built in (the FD 200f4 Macro is another). There are some Olympus OM lenses too (again only the 300mm comes to mind)

I have thought that an adaptor with a rotatable tripod mount would be the ideal, but as yet noone seems to make such a creature.

I found some great ones:

I had similar concerns, so I began searching for something and discovered these from Fotodiox:

Leica R to m43 (this is also a "shift" adapter) built in tripod mount and lets you use the lens as a shift lens for stitching images.
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adap...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282119170&sr=8-8

Nikon to m43, same thing as the R adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adap...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282119013&sr=8-29

Minolta Rokkor to m43, again same thing as above:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adap...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282119013&sr=8-23

Canon EOS to m43, once again the same:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adap...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282119013&sr=8-22

Unfortunately the FD to m43 does not come with a tripod socket, but it does have a shift function.

Since I have been slowly accumulating some R lenses, I went that route. They have reduced their price to $119.95 recently. I think it's a great price. Well made. The non-shift adapter is much less money, but no tripod socket. I got one of those as well, since it is better for hand holding purposes.

Best of luck,
Jonathan

B

bruce1s

Re: m43 legacy lens collars--Great Ideas

Thanks for the great suggestions. In addition, it's encouraging to see that some forum members share my fascination with this kind of solution. I'm lusting after the lenses some of you have tried. Thanks for responding.

f6cvalkyrie

Re: I found some great ones:

I had similar concerns, so I began searching for something and discovered these from Fotodiox:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adap...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282119013&sr=8-29

Best of luck,
Jonathan
Great info, Jonathan !

I'm using a lot of Nikon glass and sure will buy the Nikon to µ4/3 adapter to be able to safely use my 180/2.8 ED and even my Micro 105/2.8

A round of applaus for fotodiox for bringing such useful equipment !!!

C U,
Rafael

leuallen

A nice lens is the Tokina ATX 100-300 f4.0 (constant) available in different mounts. It is relatively sharp and fast for a long zoom. It has a nice tripod collar.

So nice in fact that I have two. Got a good deal on the second one so might as well have a backup as it is one of my most used lenses.

Larry

R. Bowman

I use the Canon FD 300mm f/4L and 400 f/4.5 on a tripod using their lens collars. But I'd also like collars for my Canon FD 135 f/2 and 85 f/1.2L for shooting video off a tripod. Mounting the GH1 directly on the tripod with these lenses hanging off is just scary.

Colin Griffiths

I'm using OM lenses on my GF1 via the Fotodiox shift adapter, only I wanted rise and fall rather than to be able to stitch horizontally. I mounted the adapter in an inexpensive lens collar from EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XXB-4-Canon-Q...adaptors_ET&hash=item2ea85898d1#ht_2552wt_952

It's turned out to be very convenient, not only can I achieve the compositions I wanted without tilting the camera either up or down, but with a 24mm or 50mm Zuiko, the lens collar puts the lenses pretty much in line with their nodal points for panoramas as well.

B

bruce1s

Colin: If you read this, please provide us with a little more info on your adaptation of the Chinese lens collar. Did you make some little shims or some felt pads to make it fit your OM lens. Thank you.

f6cvalkyrie

Re: I found some great ones:

Jonathan
I don't want to jump to conclusions yet, and I certainly don't want to generalize over the different types, but, the one Nikkor F Pro adapter with shift and tripod socket that I received a few weeks ago, does absolutely not allow for infinity focus :mad:
Fotodiox are sending me a new one, it's in transit now, and I keep you posted on that !

C U
Rafael