The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dreamy impressions from Lorraine/France (Reims, Nancy, Metz)

kds315

From a short trip to the Lorraine region in France and to Reims, Nancy and Metz.

all shot using Lumix GH1 and selfmade quartz soft focus lens.

kds315

A bit tricky to use though, as softness, focus and exposure (aperture setting) interact.

simonclivehughes

Klaus,

Those are fascinating! How do you achieve the amount of in-focus? Is it related to aperture? Love to see a picture of your lens.

Cheers,

kds315

Yes, the aperture setting controls the amount of softness and at the same time the point of sharp focus (not really a point though...) changes, so to get all that in-line is a bit tricky. But I know that from very old soft focus lenses I have (my Spencer Portland being one of them). so I'm used to that. Actually you step down and control the soft focus degree and focus then - not the other was round.

You won't see much, just a standard focusing mount plus the barrel of an old enlarger lens...

seakayaker

Beautiful shots Klaus!

I do like the outdoor daylight shots a lot with the soft blur from the center focus. :thumbs:

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

kweide

Great work.
Can you give us some more infos about that selfmade quartz softfocus lens ?? Sound very interesting !

Regards
Klaus

kds315

Thanks guys!

I used an old enlarger lens with round multiblade aperture, removed the optics, fitted a quartz lens (f1.0 btw.) inside and mounted that to a focusing helicoid - that's all I can say about it.

Diane B

Doing anything to alter lenses is definitely NOT my forte' LOL, but I really like these Klaus. Lovely and thanks for sharing.

Diane

kds315

Thanks Diane, appreciate your words! I haven't started like that, just after many years one gets a bit more willing to experiment and leave the oh too well known paths... ;)