The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A couple of street shots from India.

m3photo

Visible vs. IR

Although I had a regular G1 and a NEX-5 for visible light shots, I ended up using
my hacked G1 with the 20/1.7 for IR shots almost all the time for street shots in South India (3 weeks).
I like these two images. However, I'd like to know what advantage there is in using your IR G1 versus a visible light camera. Thanks.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Michael.:)

If the images are appealing then my preference is justified.

m3photo

Re: IR vs VL

Thanks, Michael.:)

If the images are appealing then my preference is justified.
Ooohkay; but I'd like to learn something new here from your experience: What advantages are there over the traditional setup?

V

Vivek

Ooohkay; but I'd like to learn something new here from your experience: What advantages are there over the traditional setup?
There are things that ought to be recorded in color and only in visible light as in this instance:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

[With a name associated with Lenin, no wonder the property will be "Constant" instead of them being "consultants". :D]

Otherwise, color, B&W whatever appeals goes. The hacked G1 (in IR) could handle the enormous contrast in South Indian daylight due to very high DR. That is the primary reason why I used it. I am glad I did as I am pleased with the renditions as well.

zcream

Just in case someone is wondering about the Lenin thing - there are 2 functioning Communist parties in India. Not sure how well they are doing nowadays :)

m3photo

The hacked G1 (in IR) could handle the enormous contrast in South Indian daylight due to very high DR. That is the primary reason why I used it. I am glad I did as I am pleased with the renditions as well.
Thank you Sir.

Jonas

(...)
Otherwise, color, B&W whatever appeals goes. The hacked G1 (in IR) could handle the enormous contrast in South Indian daylight due to very high DR. That is the primary reason why I used it. I am glad I did as I am pleased with the renditions as well.
I like the tonality and details everywhere in the two images in your first post. It made me curious and reading your reply above even more so. I have never used an IR modded camera and don't know how they behave. I can however not recall ever having read that IR modded cameras have better DR than any standard camera. I searched a little and checked out some things at maxmax without finding anything.

So, are you saying the IR-modded G1 has better DR than a standard G1 camera? If so, why is that? (Or maybe you have a link to some place i didn't find explaining this.)

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

I like the tonality and details everywhere in the two images in your first post.
Thanks, Jonas. :)

As to your other queries and the quoted site (AFAIK -and few who in the know would agree me- that site sells gear and anything "data" they present is at best suspect), I can not be of much help, other than the remarks I made here and here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17900

What I would really like to see (and buy) is a G3 with real improvements.:)

The EVF and the swivel LCD of the G1 (original or hacked) were impressive and extremely useful in India. Though I did not use the EVF for actual photo snapping much, it was very useful for reviewing the snaps. This is in spite of the fact that the eye cup rubber tore off after a few days.

Last edited:

Jonas

As to your other queries and the quoted site (AFAIK -and few who in the know would agree me- that site sells gear and anything "data" they present is at best suspect), I can not be of much help, other than the remarks I made here and here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17900
(...)
Thank you Vivek.
If I understand you correctly now there is no DR advantage in general to IR modded cameras, but it is for the G1 (as the original G1 DR is bad)?

V

Vivek

Jonas, Everything is relative. However, the hacked G1 is far better (DR, details, etc) compared to my former Nikon D80-IR (which has larger pixels!).

I think mostly the NMOS sensor's IR sensitivity has to do with this behavior.

Once the UV/IR/AA filter stack is removed, the cam's sensitivity goes up by ~2 stops. With a Hoya R72, it shows the same meter readings (now only in IR) as a stock G1 does in visible light (daylight).

Jonas

Jonas, Everything is relative.
It sure is. Hmm. Maybe... let me think about that.

Once the UV/IR/AA filter stack is removed, the cam's sensitivity goes up by ~2 stops. With a Hoya R72, it shows the same meter readings (now only in IR) as a stock G1 does in visible light (daylight).
...and with a 100% LiveView camera things really get interesting for the UV/IR folks. Are the Bayer red-green-blue filters removed as well?

V

Vivek

I have not and I doubt if the Bayer dyes can ever be removed from a Panasonic m4/3rds sensor by anyone.

It would be great if Pana would make those available to try them out.;)

Owen_Coors

Vivek, these shots are very nice indeed! I've never been a b&w or ir image fan, but these are absolutely convincing. According to DPReview's review of the Oly e-p1, they say that they believe the e-p1's sensor is the same as that in the Panny G1. I'm thinking that I may want to do this conversion to my e-p1, too. Did you do the work yourself or is there someone specializing in this kind of thing? Any online sites that show how to do this ir/uv filter removal? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your India images from your next trip!

Owen

V

Vivek

Owen, Thanks for your kind words. :)

I would strongly recommend that you avail of one of the outfits that do the conversion for a fee.

Precision cameras and many others would do it for a fee.