The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokto 25/0.95

biglouis

Great news - I very much like the results of using my Nokton 50/1.5 on both my GF-1 and my M8. However, I'd hang onto my cash until after Photokina as there are rumours of more primes from Panasonic and they (of course) would support AF.

jonoslack

I wonder why they don't make the lenses with Canon and Nikon mounts? They could sell a lot more to people who don't have the option of lens interchangeability. Even Sony would be more volume. Maybe they don't have the production capacity?
Hi Clark
of course they do make them (for Zeiss). I would guess that their agreement with Zeiss would preclude such things . . . and anyway, they'd only be competing with themselves!

PeterB666

Re: Voigtländer Nokton 25/0.95

I wonder why they don't make the lenses with Canon and Nikon mounts? They could sell a lot more to people who don't have the option of lens interchangeability. Even Sony would be more volume. Maybe they don't have the production capacity?
The Voigtlander SL II series lenses are available in Nikon Ai-S (now CPU integrated), Canon EOS, and Pentax K mounts.

From the dimensions of the Nokon 25 f/0.95 it wouldn't have the coverage for full-frame mounts.

Leica 77

What more can one wish for ?
No more hunting around, you can just order it brandnew!
And it looks perfect and no adapters needed.
Michiel
Nokton, of course.
The news has quickly reached different parts of the world, following the announcement by Cosina yesterday. Here is an image I saw at one of the Chinese web sites today:

Jonas

Re: Voigtländer Nokton 25/0.95

(...)
From the dimensions of the Nokon 25 f/0.95 it wouldn't have the coverage for full-frame mounts.
When thinking of the Canon EF 24/1.4 it is actually hard to imagine a 24/1 for a FF camera.
The Nokton 25/0.95 should be small though thinking of all the small, but somewhat corresponding 50/2 lenses for FF. Oh oh. negative thinking, I know. But here is hope for decent performance wide open... ;)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
An autofocus Cosina Voigtländer lens. Nice.

Or ...

A dedicated M4/3 mount optic that is manual focus. Odd.

scho

Cameraquest now taking pre-order deposits on this lens. They note the following:

"This is an original manual focus M43 lens with full electronic coupling to M43 cameras. Being made to the M43 standard, it will be compatible with ALL M43 cameras!"

The "full electronic coupling" is encouraging and I hope it permits engagement of magnified focus simply by turning the focus ring at a minimum.

V

Vivek

That is disappointing news to me. "Full electronic coupling" would let Cosina adjust for light fall off, distortion, CA, etc just like any other m4/3rds lenses thusfar.

I am not even sure if these are "complete" optics. :(

V

Vivek

Thanks scho

I'm surprised Cosina Voigtländer didn't grab the chance to enter autofocus technology.
There has been only one f/1 auto focus lens (Canon 50/1, no longer made) and that did not use contrast detect AF.

I would think a 25/0.95 AF lens would be a disaster.

Jonas

We don't know what "full electronic coupling" really is, do we? I'm pretty sure Gandy doesn't know either.

I hope this means the max aperture, FL and working aperture is reported to the camera and not much more. Automatically magnified viewfinder mode is OK as it can be turned off, automatic aperture is probably not present as there is no A position on that aperture ring.... well, again, we'll have to wait and see.

Jonas

There has been only one f/1 auto focus lens (Canon 50/1, no longer made) and that did not use contrast detect AF.

I would think a 25/0.95 AF lens would be a disaster.
Why is that? I would think a lens with a lot of aberrations wide open can fool the AF. With not a lot of aberrations I think highest contrast = correct focus.

I can also think of AF systems automatically refocus when the aperture is changed (to compensate for focus shift, if any), or AF systems turning off the AF in certain situations telling the user to focus manually, and so on.

V

Vivek

We don't know what "full electronic coupling" really is, do we? I'm pretty sure Gandy doesn't know either.

I hope this means the max aperture, FL and working aperture is reported to the camera and not much more. Automatically magnified viewfinder mode is OK as it can be turned off, automatic aperture is probably not present as there is no A position on that aperture ring.... well, again, we'll have to wait and see.
This will be very easy to check with this lens. Since there is no need for all these info (FL, aperture etec) for a camera to know before a picture can be taken, one can always tape off the electrical contacts (of this lens) and see if corrections are applied by the camera software like they do for the 17/2.8 and the 20/1.7.

V

Vivek

I can also think of AF systems automatically refocus when the aperture is changed (to compensate for focus shift, if any), or AF systems turning off the AF in certain situations telling the user to focus manually, and so on.
Do you know of a contrast detect AF system that does that?

As is, my 20/1.7 struggles with AF and is quite audible as well.

Jonas

What more can one wish for ?

No more hunting around, you can just order it brandnew!

And it looks perfect and (...)
Cosina joining the µ4/3 clan and doing it with a manual 25/0.95 lens is, simply put, great news.

My prediction: The 25/0.95 will become a classic. Later when Cosina have added AF and are making lenses in dire need of software corrections we'll all be happy we bought our 25mm Noktons.