The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cosina joins the micro four thirds consortium

Good morning all

Good news for M4/3 camera owners, Cosina has joined the micro four thirds consortium. Their first M4/3 lens is a 25mm F0.95 due sometime in Oct 2010. The details may be found here:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hopefully, we will see some fast primes at the wide end.

Paul

Last edited:

douglasf13

Looks like a cool lens and a great option for standard prime shooters. Granted, I'm not sure if "consortium" or "m4/3 standard" should apply to a lens mount that only two camera companies support thus far?? Does this Cosina lens have electrical connections with m4/3? It seems to me that would be a true adoption of the mount.

V

Vivek

Granted, I'm not sure if "consortium" or "m4/3 standard" should apply to a lens mount that only two camera companies support thus far??
Three if you consider Cosina (also a camera company if you admit or not) and four if you include Fuji. ;) There are rumors that Kodak may be in this as well. Only Samsung and Sony have not joined in. :ROTFL:

I don't know about the "standards" either. It harks back to the 4/3rds days when Olympus was promoting the virtues (of the 4/3rds system). The "standard" there primarily centered around "near" telecentric lenses for optimal performances. This is no longer valid for the m4/3rds, IMV.

Does this Cosina lens have electrical connections with m4/3? It seems to me that would be a true adoption of the mount.
I do not see any need for that when the lens has real adjustable aperture and can be focused manually. All necessary functions work on the m4/3rds cams without any electric connections to a lens.

There is a 50/0.95 ("Noktor") for m4/3rds and some innovative eBay vendors selling 35/1.7 lenses in m4/3rds (now also for the NEX $99) mount.

douglasf13

Yeah, I'm not sure that Cosina counts as "joining" the m4/3 "standard" if they're simply making an all manual lens with an m4/3 mount. If so, I guess they've been a part of the m42, Leica, Canon and Nikon "consortiums" for a while! Now, if Cosina brings a m4/3 rangefinder, we'll be talking :)

V

Vivek

I can bet that Cosina would sell their lens with a lens rear cap! :ROTFL: