The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will need tests of all the 25mm f0.95 lenses

RichA

I've got the Schneider, but I'd be curious about the Japanese units, the upcoming Voigtlander. I got my Schneider in mint condition for $150, but that is a bit "rare" as far as prices go so I figure if people are going to spend $800-$1000, a test on the new and older lenses would be good, as well as (if someone has one) one of the new, $2000 Schneiders to see if has been improved with new coatings, etc. Interestingly though, if Panasonic or Olympus did release a "high end" micro 4/3rds ($1500+) some of the complaints of these fast lenses being high-priced would disappear.

V

Vivek

Rich, Are you going to put up some tests or requesting tests/results to be posted by others?

Last edited:

RichA

Rich, Are you going to put up some tests or requesting tests/results to be posted by others?
I've only got the one lens. I figure someone must have more than that and they have to be tested side by side. Is there at least a list of all these lenses out there?

V

Vivek

What kind of tests? Brick walls? :ROTFL:

I have posted images taken with my super fast lenses- Angenieux (type M2) 25/0.95, Senko 25/0.95, SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95, Navitar 25/0.95 and Fujinon 25/0.85.

Others have posted images from many others including the Schneider 25/0.95.
I am not sure we have seen any from you.

Comparison of these with the forthcoming Cosina 25/0.95 will be difficult since I suspect that the Cosina lens' information (from electronics) would make the m4/3rds cams correct for quite a few flaws of the lens just like it is with all other m4/3rds primes (perhaps barring the Noktor 50/0.95).

However, I think the handling of the Cosina 25/0.95 on the likes of G1 is going to be very good. The lens should be similar (a bit shorter) to the Fujinon-TV 50/1.4, in terms of size.

Jonas

Heh. Hopefully the CV25/0.95 will cover the sensor. That would make a difference.

It will be interesting to learn about the new 25mm. Somehow I think Cosina has designed it in a more traditional way making a lens working by itself instead of leaning heavily on software corrections.

Well, Vivek, why not a brick wall as well? Artsy stuff is nice and what most of us like to look at and perhaps shoot as well. But for describing a lens there is nothing as good as plain motifs clearly showing vignetting (at all the ratios of aspects) and something understandable about contrast and resolution and flare.

If the 25/0.95 is as good as the 50/1.1 on FF I'll be surprised, very happy, and buy it.

V

Vivek

Well, Vivek, why not a brick wall as well? Artsy stuff is nice and what most of us like to look at and perhaps shoot as well. But for describing a lens there is nothing as good as plain motifs clearly showing vignetting (at all the ratios of aspects) and something understandable about contrast and resolution and flare.

You should demand that from the manufacturers (or the professional "review" sites).

Brick walls would show flare? Fantastic !:thumbs:

Terry

So, the CV will send lens data to the body that's pretty cool....I do think it would be useful to include the 4/3 50 summilux in the mix as it is plenty fast and will autofocus on the m4/3 bodies.

Jonas

You should demand that from the manufacturers (or the professional "review" sites).
Why not ask here as well? Is there a certain reason we should demonstrate lenses only by showing dark B&W subway images preferably taken in 16:9?
What manufacturer or professional "review" site will test a SOM Berthiot anyway?

Brick walls would show flare? Fantastic !:thumbs:
I don't know what you men with :thumbs: but I don't think I am wrong when I say you probably just are trying to make everything into a joke again.

Here you go:

"Dear Vivek,
Thank you for writing. No, just as you suspect, a brick wall or similar target does not reveal anything about a lens' resistance against flare. For that we need another target with high contrast parts in it.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I'll do my best to be more clear in the future.

kind regards,

/Jonas"

V

Vivek

Dear Jonas,

Yes, I was joking about the brick wall tests. :)

Who has posted 16:9 subway dark alley shots using SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95? I would love to see them! :)

The onus is on the manufacturers and the proxy advertisers (aka "professional review" sites) to address such concerns of the potential buyers of a gear.

Brick wall test results must be demanded instead of (or in addition to) MTF charts from such sources.

V

Vivek

So, the CV will send lens data to the body that's pretty cool....I do think it would be useful to include the 4/3 50 summilux in the mix as it is plenty fast and will autofocus on the m4/3 bodies.
Terry, Surely you meant the Panaleica 25/1.4 with a 58mm filter thread? It is likely to be noisier and slower than the Pana 20/1.7 while auto focusing. May not be a good thing for the video shooters.

Terry

Terry, Surely you meant the Panaleica 25/1.4 with a 58mm filter thread? It is likely to be noisier and slower than the Pana 20/1.7 while auto focusing. May not be a good thing for the video shooters.
Yes....sorry my brain went mush for a moment thinking about the 50 that I sold yesterday.

apicius9

I had a chance to try the Angenieux in the M1 and the Bell & Howell versions as well as the Zeika Nominar (all 25/0.95 and c-mount). I'm not too much into pixel peeping, so I really only looked from a user perspective with no ambitions for professional work or large prints. I did not see a difference between the two Angenieux lenses in IQ, but I felt that the B&H handled a bit nicer for my taste - it's a touch heavier and feels more 'substantial. But that is really marginal. The Zeika is a bit softer wide open but handles nicely because the focus ring is a bit farther away from the adapter. However, that lens is missing the front ring that has the filter thread, and I don't know if/how that affects the picture quality.

For myself, I decided to keep the Angenieux B&H; still have the Zeika and an extra B&H but they will go up for sale if I ever find the time.... I like the pictures from the B&H, and especially in the 1:1 format I can easily live with the minimal vignetting. For me, that limits the excitement about the new CV lens, I can live with the small inconveniences and enjoy using the smaller and lighter legacy lens. After all, it is really more a specialty lens that is great to have but the situations when you use it's full potential are rare in my experience.

Stefan

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi Vivek,

Comparison of these with the forthcoming Cosina 25/0.95 will be difficult since I suspect that the Cosina lens' information (from electronics) would make the m4/3rds cams correct for quite a few flaws of the lens just like it is with all other m4/3rds primes (perhaps barring the Noktor 50/0.95).
I'm afraid there won't be any lens information or electronics: everything seems to indicate that it's a brick of solid glass and metal. For example, Cameraquest writes:

Focus is manual using the lens focusing helical without integrated electronic interface or EXIF recording. Aperture control is by the lens aperture ring, not the camera.
If they don't even send the aperture, chances are very slim that they'll even send an identifier of the lens. Let alone implement all the wacko wishes some people on some forums have, like focus confirmation :D

Peter.

V

Vivek

Wonderful news, Peter! :thumbs:

Thanks for posting it!:)

Cosina ought to be commended for this! :salute:

RichA

What kind of tests? Brick walls? :ROTFL:

I have posted images taken with my super fast lenses- Angenieux (type M2) 25/0.95, Senko 25/0.95, SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95, Navitar 25/0.95 and Fujinon 25/0.85.

Others have posted images from many others including the Schneider 25/0.95.
I am not sure we have seen any from you.

However, I think the handling of the Cosina 25/0.95 on the likes of G1 is going to be very good. The lens should be similar (a bit shorter) to the Fujinon-TV 50/1.4, in terms of size.
Depends on how good their designers are. The Schneider 25mm is TINY compared to the 50mm Fuji, which is almost twice the length of the 50mm f1.4 full-frame lens!

V

Vivek

The Schneider 25mm is TINY compared to the 50mm Fuji, which is almost twice the length of the 50mm f1.4 full-frame lens!
Have you taken advantage of that tinyness? Does it (the size) make a difference for what you use it for?