The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 monitor help

Rawfa

Hi,

I just got my GF1 and as I'm testing it I cannot seem to find a way for the monitor/lcd to display the changes I make on iso, shutter, aperture. I can dial up or down any of these settings but the image on the monitor/lcd doesn't get any darker/lighter. Of course when I take the picture the changes are reflected there, but I want to be able to see them as I change the settings. I was checking out the manual but I didn't see anything there.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know, the monitor displays a automatically brightness compensated view and does not show the results of exposure setting changes. The closest to seeing the changes is if you display the histogram.
Terry any other settings you can think of?
-bob

Rawfa

As far as I know, the monitor displays a automatically brightness compensated view and does not show the results of exposure setting changes. The closest to seeing the changes is if you display the histogram.
Terry any other settings you can think of?
-bob
Thanks, Bob. Do you know if there is anyway around this? I was used to the EP1, which does this.

BTW, does anyone know if the Sony's NEX cameras DO reflect the changes on the LCD?

Terry

Yes, there is a preview button that needs to be used. The button on the bottom right will stop down the camera and show a preview. Also, combine that button with the display button and you can see the effect of your exposures. The preview button can be customized so that you either hold it down to see the effect and on release it goes back to normal view or use the preview lock feature so you don't have to hold the button.

There has been much discussion about the fact that these cameras don't show you exactly what you will get on the LCD. There have been changes in this behavior with the G2.

This is a case where I think you need to go to the manual and read about it and then play with it at the same time to understand how it works.

Sony NEX does show what you want...but all is not perfect in the world. When you apply exposure compensation on the Sony you lose the live histogram.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, I just pulled out the camera.
In Custom functions, set preview mode to preview hold, then press the preview/delete button, then the display button toggles the wysiwyg mode on and off.
Not real convenient if that is what you want to do, OTOH, most viewfinders show you view, not the effects of exposure.
-bob

Last edited: