The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokton 25/0.95 samples

LCT

...on a 25mm lens, on m4/3 camera, will the background compression still be that of a 25mm even though the FOV is magnified x2 (50mm?)
Depends if one refers to compression as a synonym of perspective or to the feeling of compression resulting from the combined effect of perspective and DoF.
(a) Perspective remains the same if you stay exactly at the same place, i mean if you shoot your FT 25 from the exact same place as you would do with an FF 50. It is not a matter of focal length, aperture or shutter speed at all. See http://tinyurl.com/34g6xh6.
(b) Even if perspective doesn't change, we may have a different feeling of compression due to a different DoF. To avoid this, perspective must remain the same and DoF must remain the same as well.
By example, you'll get the same perspective and the same feeling of compression if you shoot your FT 25 at f/0.95 exactly from the same place as you would do with an FF 50 at f/1.9.

Jonas

Is there anyone having seen more samples from the CV25/0.95 somewhere? I have now looked a couple pf times at the ones at ganref.jp and would like to see more.

V

Vivek

I will certainly try the lens if I can get hold of it in a couple of days. Unfortunately, I will not be making any brick wall snaps though- I will, if I am allowed, would make snaps in dark U bahn tunnels. :D

Jonas

Oh, I trust your good judgement.
I have however canceled my pre-order on basis of the samples discussed earlier in this thread. There must be some really good images with regards to optical performance, to make me re-consider.

/Jonas

kahren

Oh, I trust your good judgement.
I have however canceled my pre-order on basis of the samples discussed earlier in this thread. There must be some really good images with regards to optical performance, to make me re-consider.

/Jonas
like you, i am waiting for more samples patiently making do with the 20/1.7 after selling my 5d :). i pretty much agree about what you said on the ganref.jp samples. i also think they are not very good samples to represent this lens and hoping to see some better samples to push me to buy this lens.

Jonas

Yup, we need more images.

I was linked to a new and better price the other day; EUR 750, somewhere in France. As the f/0.95 number will be like magic for many I don't expect to see it for sale cheaper than that. That's still expensive IMO.

V

Vivek

like you, i am waiting for more samples patiently making do with the 20/1.7 after selling my 5d :). i pretty much agree about what you said on the ganref.jp samples. i also think they are not very good samples to represent this lens and hoping to see some better samples to push me to buy this lens.
Yup, we need more images.

I was linked to a new and better price the other day; EUR 750, somewhere in France. As the f/0.95 number will be like magic for many I don't expect to see it for sale cheaper than that. That's still expensive IMO.

I am willing to post nice samples if Cosina send me one at no charge.

(I did not even look for Cosina stand yesterday as I did not have time for that)

kevinparis

I did manage a very quick play with the Nokton at the CV stand - not great pics as lighting was lousy and I was tired/in a rush etc... but for your reference here they are.

Overall feel of lens is nice though it is quite long. Close focuses to .2 m but the focus ring didn't seem to have an end stop at that point which was weird

RichA

I think wide open the Schneider 25mm f0.95 is better. Sharper with better control of CA. But a side by side would be good.

kevinparis

I posted my pics with the Nokton purely as a reference.. I had the opportunity to try the lens albeit in the worst possible circumstances.

I agree the CA was pretty bad...and thats from a guy who almost never gives a toss about stuff like that. Not sure you can judge sharpness so well from my shots at i was shooting iso 400 and didn't really nail focus

would I buy one ?... well I am the wrong guy to ask as I live in the same house as a Noctilux owner :)

K

V

Vivek

I did manage a very quick play with the Nokton at the CV stand - not great pics as lighting was lousy and I was tired/in a rush etc... but for your reference here they are.

Overall feel of lens is nice though it is quite long. Close focuses to .2 m but the focus ring didn't seem to have an end stop at that point which was weird

That one (thanks for posting this, K. That WAS photokina. :ROTFL:), looks good.

Rich's tripod close up was taken with the light behind the camera. So, no flares.;)

Jonas

A few more Voigtländer 25mm samples:

DPR forum poster efix has written shortly about the Voigtländer 25/0.95 in his blog,
There is one image taken with the lens close to the bottom of the page (search for "what a piece of glass")

The same lady in the image above has been depicted by DPR forum poster viztyger (Björn) as well. Again a blog, here.

Björn also provides a GF1 image in raw format. There one can admire all kind of aberrations.

Then we also have a link provided by the rumor site to where Flickr user Itemsis emailed a message containing this link
to three more CV 25/0.95 images.

That's not much but at least something. If you know of more samples please let us know.

regards,

/Jonas

coors

I thought that this lens was supposed to be released, in Japan, by late October...or am I remembering that wrong. Have been watching for samples at DC Watch Impress for a long time now, but to no avail. It would be great to hear any new insight about this lens!

seakayaker

I thought that this lens was supposed to be released, in Japan, by late October...or am I remembering that wrong. Have been watching for samples at DC Watch Impress for a long time now, but to no avail. It would be great to hear any new insight about this lens!
. . . . . there have been samples by some folks if you do a search on the internet.

Found some here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23034038@N05/sets/72157625171495361/with/5139795748/

The shipping date in US will possibly occur on or about November 8th. I am looking forward to receiving the lens.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Last edited:

PeterB666

I got my lens on Tuesday. I have been having fun - I can now see something in the LCD on my E-P1 in low light - but still getting use to the shallow depth of field when shooting with the lens opened up.

Here is one from this morning...

Hen's night out by peterb666, on Flickr

Sculptures by the Sea at Tamarma Beach (Sydney, Australia).

This shot was taken before sunrise on a heavily overcast morning. It is a joy to have such a fast f/0.95 aperture on the Olympus E-P1. I can now see stuff in the LCD in the wee hours of the morning which is my favourite shooting time. I can also focus the lens without trial and error.

The exposure settings for this shot are f/2.0 for 4 seconds at ISO200. There was a fair bit of wind and some rain.

I find it amazing that I got such a distinct star pattern from the 10 leaf aperture at just f/2.0.

Jonas

I got my lens on Tuesday. (...)
Thank you Peter. And also a Thank You for your initial post at mu43 I saw as somebody linked to it from DPR.
At DPR Mike Kobal recently posted a link to a short movie he made the day he got his copy (his post is here).

I like some things I see from the 25/0.95 but not everything. I'm still on the fence (up-thread I was sure I would buy it ASAP but now I'm not sure). But that stop of extra speed over the Panasonic 25/1.4 is still enticing. I'm sure you and other owners soon will have posted enough of nice images to make me regret having canceled my pre-order...

Cheers,

/Jonas

Jonas

Thank you for the list Amin, it's appreciated and I'm looking around at everything.
The coming weeks we'll probably see a flood of Nokton images.

/Jonas