The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokton 25/0.95 samples

biglouis

Dan, I'll look forward to seeing how this performs in your capable hands. To date, I've not been inspired by what I've seen of this lens. It is great that CV are producing m4/3rds - may be they'll do a 35/2 or 40/1.4.

LouisB

paparazzi666

It is great that CV are producing m4/3rds - may be they'll do a 35/2 or 40/1.4.

LouisB
Yeah, but 35/2 and 40/1.4 are already well covered and fit on m43 via simple adapters. they should make 17mm f0.95 and 12mm f1.4. that will be a big void for them to sell to. I would buy these as I already have the teles well covered.

paparazzi666

I tried to focus manually with 5D II, I even bought dedicated brightscreen. And quickly quit.
It doesn't compare to "M" rangefinder or u43 manual focusing, in my opinion.
Hi Jerry, the reason its impossibe to focus manually with lenses faster than f2.8 on canon 5d2 is because the size of the mirror limits the accuracy to f2.8 only. meaning if you use f1.4 lens, what you see in the viewfinder is the dof at f2.8.

try looking thru the finder at f.28, then open up the lens, you will see the image does not get any brighter.

fully agree, focussing on m43 with the hi-res EVF is the most accurate ever. with maginification possible, the accuracy is now to a new level no dslr or even film camera can match.

V

Vivek

they should make 17mm f0.95 and 12mm f1.4. that will be a big void for them to sell to. I would buy these as I already have the teles well covered.
I would gladly take a 17/1.2 and a 12/1.4, provided they are appropriately sized for a manual focus lens for the "micro"4/3rds.

coors

The boket looks jittery/nervous.

Anyone has checked to see if this is indeed an f/0.95 lens? I ask because, I have a few "f/0.95" lenses that appear to be at best f/1.1 or so.
I think that we are witnessing, from Amin's samples, another shortcoming of the small 4/3-m4/3 sensor in that wide focal length lenses inherently have greater depth of field, so using a 25mm to achieve the 50mm equivelent is not going to yield narrow DOF anything like a 50mm on a full frame sensor, even given the same true aperture values used in both instances. My other gripe with 4/3 size sensors is the inherent distortions from wide angle lenses, for example using 35mm lenses for a short telephoto equivalency of 70mm as a close-up poirtrait lens will completely distort a persons facial features. Indeed, if I could afford to buy a Leica M9 and lenses I'd never use another 4/3-m4/3 body again. So really impoverishment is the only reason that I even suffer these malodies. Thanks for the great samples and link to samples for this lens.

Amin

My other gripe with 4/3 size sensors is the inherent distortions from wide angle lenses, for example using 35mm lenses for a short telephoto equivalency of 70mm as a close-up poirtrait lens will completely distort a persons facial features.
Coors, this part of what you said is not correct. If you keep the same subject distance, a 35mm lens on 4/3 will give the same framing and perspective (no difference in distortion of a person's facial features) compared to a 70mm lens on 35mm format. Example: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/bokeh-test-olympus-zd-25mm-f-2-8-vs-canon-ef-50mm-f-1-4-a-161/

Here are a few more bokeh samples of the Nokton for anyone interested. The f/0.95 and f/1.2 shots were blown out at 1/4000s and base ISO, so they don't put the lens in a very good light (pun unintended):

f/0.95:

f/1.2:

f/1.4:

f/2:

f/2.8:

seakayaker

I think that we are witnessing, from Amin's samples, another shortcoming of the small 4/3-m4/3 sensor in that wide focal length lenses inherently have greater depth of field, so using a 25mm to achieve the 50mm equivelent is not going to yield narrow DOF anything like a 50mm on a full frame sensor, even given the same true aperture values used in both instances. My other gripe with 4/3 size sensors is the inherent distortions from wide angle lenses, for example using 35mm lenses for a short telephoto equivalency of 70mm as a close-up poirtrait lens will completely distort a persons facial features. Indeed, if I could afford to buy a Leica M9 and lenses I'd never use another 4/3-m4/3 body again. So really impoverishment is the only reason that I even suffer these malodies. Thanks for the great samples and link to samples for this lens.
. . . . . disagree with your comments, I can not find anything I dislike with the samples Amin provided, rather nice shots IMHO. The images that have been displayed throughout the multiple threads on this forum and others have certainly provided plenty of proof that m4/3 & 4/3 camera and lens are a capable tool and produces high quality output.

I'll send along a good thought and prayer that your personal finances improve so that you do not have to suffer! :D

. . . . . I believe many of us are having a hell of good time with the 4/3rds equipment. I know I am having fun with my GF1!

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/10

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/4000

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/6

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

peterb

Dan your shots are fabulous.

And I really love the way this wonderful lens renders OOF.

Keep posting!

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, it shows very low contrast wide open. Which is what I do not like.

So I might rather use my Noctilux 1.0 with adapter - I think the much better solution WRT IQ!

Jonas

This is a, to me, very strange comment. You are technically wrong with regards to what you say about equivalent lenses. And, distortion (of facial features) is depending on the shooting distance only (assuming the lenses are corrected).
But the part about not having enough money for everything fun I can understand... So, I have fun with the stuff I can afford instead. BTW, the µ4/3 system is not a cheap system at all.

(...)
Here are a few more bokeh samples of the Nokton for anyone interested. The f/0.95 and f/1.2 shots were blown out at 1/4000s and base ISO, so they don't put the lens in a very good light (pun unintended):
Thank you Amin. I try to interpret the bright parts in the background. They aren't specular highlights so it makes it harder to see the differences between the aperture openings. I think f/1.4 looks good (to me). Maybe there is some coma, maybe it's visible only when having highlights in the background.

Well, it shows very low contrast wide open. Which is what I do not like.

So I might rather use my Noctilux 1.0 with adapter - I think the much better solution WRT IQ!
How do you know the contrast is "low" wide open? Does the Noctilux 1.0 have high contrast wide open? And since when can a 25mm lens be replaced with a 50mm lens?
Ah, maybe all the questions are rhetoric ones.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
How do you know the contrast is "low" wide open? Does the Noctilux 1.0 have high contrast wide open? And since when can a 25mm lens be replaced with a 50mm lens?
Ah, maybe all the questions are rhetoric ones.
Just look at the samples with different f stops and you see. What I normally get from Nocti is almost full contrast wide open - just one of the strengths of these high speed Leica optics wide open.

WRT 25mm - sure this is not 50mm, but I used the 1.4/25 on my E3 and I never was happy with the look it produced - you could see it is a WA lens. What should be different for the Nocton 25 ???? Sure it is nominal 50mm but it is no real 50mm lens at all. And I would anyway prefer more the 50mm (100mm on FT) for available light shooting, especially of people.

Of course compared to the price of the 1.0 Nocti this lens is a bargain. But it does not rock me - understand what I mean?

Jonas

Just look at the samples with different f stops and you see. What I normally get from Nocti is almost full contrast wide open - just one of the strengths of these high speed Leica optics wide open.

WRT 25mm - sure this is not 50mm, but I used the 1.4/25 on my E3 and I never was happy with the look it produced - you could see it is a WA lens. What should be different for the Nocton 25 ???? Sure it is nominal 50mm but it is no real 50mm lens at all. And I would anyway prefer more the 50mm (100mm on FT) for available light shooting, especially of people.

Of course compared to the price of the 1.0 Nocti this lens is a bargain. But it does not rock me - understand what I mean?
But hey, Amin said the two first images were overexposed... I don't expect full contrast from them. And why is it I have seen so many greyish Nocti images? But, I haven't owned, or even used the Noctilux so I really don't know.

I guess one has to have both the lenses to compare and play with the raw files one has taken. I don't expect very high contrast from a super fast lens wide open.

I'm a lucky man, I don't see anything in my 25/1.4 images telling me the lens is a wide angle lens. It seems kinda normal with the exception for some of the flare which reminds me it is a lens with a lot of elements in it? What is there in Amin's images in this thread telling you it is not a normal lens?

25 or 50 or 100 - if your preference is a longer lens then that's the way it is. No, it doesn't really rock me either, but that is the OOF rendering I'm not really liking. But whatever, I know about lenses I like and those I don't like. My preferences aren't always visible in test charts and I don't mind opinions.
One of mine: A manual lens equiv to a 50/2 for EUR 750-850 something isn't exactly a "must have" for me.

regards,

/Jonas

Jerry_R

so many greyish Nocti images
Why we compare 25mm f/0.95 to FF Noctilux? It doesn't make sense to me... If at all - then to 50mm f/2!

Noctilux on FF gives to little DOF for every day applications.

It was useful in past, for bad light. Today - it is admired just by PAPER DOF onanists.
I saw many pictures with it and most seemed useless for me. I see no context at all. This is fine, but for limited usage, for some group of people.
If someone wants to achieve the same in u43 - better is to use longer lens with not extreme like 0.95, but more like 1.4 or 2.

Counterpart of 50mm f/2 on FF has still every day usage.

V

Vivek

I can afford a Leica M9 and all the doodahs but I am not going to buy one.
It is useless AFAIC.

I have/use many f/0.95 25mm lenses on m 4/3rds. Some of them are neither cheap nor easy to obtain. None of them are "wide angle" lenses.

I have not seen any evidence in Cosina's lens design that implies it to be "wide angle" lens.

If I am impoverished, I would buy a Pentax DSLR and use the countless M42 lenses available for it.

Jonas

Why we compare 25mm f/0.95 to FF Noctilux? It doesn't make sense to me... If at all - then to 50mm f/2!

Noctilux on FF gives to little DOF for every day applications.

It was useful in past, for bad light. Today - it is admired just by PAPER DOF onanists.
I saw many pictures with it and most seemed useless for me. I see no context at all. This is fine, but for limited usage, for some group of people.
If someone wants to achieve the same in u43 - better is to use longer lens with not extreme like 0.95, but more like 1.4 or 2.

Counterpart of 50mm f/2 on FF has still every day usage.
a) only because ptomsu mentioned he likes it, with regards to optical quality, better than the CV25/0.95. Then he also said 25mm is too short so he generated a short discussion, sort of.

b) for FF cameras the fastest lenses I have used over longer times have been 50/1.2 lenses. There were many times I wished they had been faster. Heh. Maybe that make me a "PAPER DOF onanist". I agree a longer lens most often is desired, for several reasons. But you know, sometimes it is hard to back up. So, 50/1, 50/1.2, 24/1.4 and so on, they can all come to good use.

/Jonas

Jerry_R

The point is - if we would have FF in G1 body - that would be that!

No AF needed for manual lenses.
Wide - when wide attached.
Perfect manual focusing - EVF with magnification of any point within frames, not central only.
No more paralaxa.
Long Focals.
Macro.
Short minimum focusing distance, not 70-100cm like in rangefinders.
Tiltable LCD.

I had enough of paralaxa and related cropping, external optical finders for wide, too long minimum focusing distance, glass magnifiers for focusing with longer than 50mm lenses, red corners and color shift on wide angle, so frequent need of sending M9 with lenses for calibration...

Am waiting for:
http://leicarumors.com/2010/05/05/rumor-leica-evil-camera-for-photokina.aspx/

and observing what X100 will bring.

So far - I found nothing as good and flexible as u43. Period. Am not fun of paper DOF, my photo needs are wider than typical rangefinder focals (35-90).
I start with 7mm, use 45mm for Macro, and go till 140mm (u43 focals). Not replaceable with M9 without additional tools and post processing.

PS: Olympus is rumored to work on modular camera, maybe FF Kodak sensor, with new lens mount but with possibility of attaching 43 and u43 lenses (even if they would not cover whole sensor).

PPS: Jonas, I entered Leica forum and once again looked for some samples taken with M9 and 50mm 0.95. I must say - I did have found some nice photographs, as minority. Most of presented, linked photos are terrible from photography point of view. They may be liked by bokeh lovers only. Frames showing many people, with just one head in focus - is worst scenario...

Last edited:

seakayaker

Dan your shots are fabulous.

And I really love the way this wonderful lens renders OOF.

Keep posting!

Peter
Thanks Peter for your Kind words . . . . .

I agree with you regarding the lens having a wonderful OOF. . . . . . it also does very well with the colors . . . . .

John & Rob ~ Contemplation

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/20

Ava

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.095 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/15

Autumn Leaves in the Rain

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/2500

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)