The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 on a G1?

M5-Guy

I am considering this lens as my only zoom lens for my G1. (unless a equivalent m4/3 one is introduced soon)

What I don't know, is, will I be able to use full AF modes, and, what about the Aperture ring? Shoot in "A" mode only? (which I prefer on all lenses anyway)

Witch Adapter should I get that allows the most compatibility?

Thanks for your advice.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
You won't be able to have any AF functions with the Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 zoom lens on your G1.

I have been using the Panasonic DMW-1 mount adaptor for my Leica 14-150/3.5-5.6 zoom lens, which retains the full AF functionalities on my GH1.

Kind regards,

M5-Guy

Dang :banghead:
Hope Panasonic has re-worked that lens for m4/3 cameras.....
Time will tell.... under 7 weeks to go.. I think till Photokina.

It would be nice to have a faster alternative to the 14-45 slowish kit lens. I know that we (the more serious hobbyist), are not the main market, But, just saying :talk028:

Thanks

Godfrey

I am considering this lens as my only zoom lens for my G1. (unless a equivalent m4/3 one is introduced soon)

What I don't know, is, will I be able to use full AF modes, and, what about the Aperture ring? Shoot in "A" mode only? (which I prefer on all lenses anyway)

Witch Adapter should I get that allows the most compatibility?
- This lens is only manual focus on G1/GF1/GH1 bodies. It will autofocus on G2/G10 bodies, and all the Olympus Pen bodies.

- The aperture ring, in M or A mode, overrides the on-body aperture setting control. It has un-used in other operating modes.

- The G1 supports all this lens' OIS modes.

- You want either the Panasonic DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-2 mount adapters. Pick which on price ... they're functionally identical.

It's a large and somewhat awkward lens on the G1; I almost never use it as a consequence. The focusing ring is rather narrow and not ideally placed for easy usability on the G1. I find using the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 prime lenses are a better fit to the ergonomics of this camera than one big, heavy zoom like this.

An f/2.8-3.5 lens designed exclusively for Micro-FourThirds would likely not be too much smaller, but we'll see if they ever release one.

M5-Guy

- This lens is only manual focus on G1/GF1/GH1 bodies. It will autofocus on G2/G10 bodies, and all the Olympus Pen bodies.

- The aperture ring, in M or A mode, overrides the on-body aperture setting control. It has un-used in other operating modes.

- The G1 supports all this lens' OIS modes.

- You want either the Panasonic DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-2 mount adapters. Pick which on price ... they're functionally identical.

It's a large and somewhat awkward lens on the G1; I almost never use it as a consequence. The focusing ring is rather narrow and not ideally placed for easy usability on the G1. I find using the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 prime lenses are a better fit to the ergonomics of this camera than one big, heavy zoom like this.

An f/2.8-3.5 lens designed exclusively for Micro-FourThirds would likely not be too much smaller, but we'll see if they ever release one.
That's what I thought.
I have a 17, and may get the 45mm as a macro, my 50mm Zeiss C-Sonnar is a sweet portrait lens on the G1...
But, if no better Quality kit zoom comes out this time around. Not sure which way to go... V/m43 25mm f/.95? or maybe a 25mm f/2.8 m/43 may be introduced. 20mm is just too close to 17mm But, it is a stop faster than the 17mm. I'd Like a nice 3 lens kit [17/25/50], (I have the 17 and 50 covered). So maybe the Voigtlander 25mm f/.95?..
That would either give me a 2 MF lenses, and one AF (17) lens... Still a pretty good kit.

or a 2 lens kit with a fairly fast kit zoom. [17/14-45 or 50]. But having a AF kit zoom would be nice, just not sure if I want a f/3.5-5.6 right now.