The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Studio Flash

H

hfnotts

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to trigger studio flash units whewn using the G1?

photoSmart42

You can use a number of widely available remote flash trigger units - optical or wireless. I use both. I have a cheap wireless trigger setup that I've used for a while, with the trigger mounted on the camera hot shoe and the flash units sitting on the receiver units, but I've been having issues with consistent triggering of the signal. Recently I switched to a cheap optical receiver triggered by my onboard flash, and it seems to work more consistently, but of course I need to be within line-of-sight of the flash in that case (works in a small studio).

You can always use the more expensive solutions if you need a guarantee that they'll work.