The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 IR, 5 shots each processed differently

greypilgrim

These are from my G1 that I had converted by Precision Camera recently. I am finding it interesting that there are so many different ways to process these files (almost like shooting visible light :) ).

Comments more than welcome.

Doug

photoSmart42

I really like the last two, but I'm not convinced on the first three. I think the red moss on the rocks is clashing too much with the gray background for me.

greypilgrim

I really like the last two, but I'm not convinced on the first three. I think the red moss on the rocks is clashing too much with the gray background for me.
Interesting. I will have to play with that. The one thing those shared was swapping the blue and the red channels.

Looking at them, I am inclined to keep the red moss on the first, but perhaps not on the others.

Thanks,

Doug

seakayaker

I thought all the shots were very good. The 1st and Last did stand out for me but I did like them all.

What filter did you have placed in the G1?

Can you pass along the contact info for Precision as well.

Thanks, Dan

greypilgrim

Doug

I like this a lot.

Maybe we share some detailed processing info here.
Uwe,
I have to agree, I really liked the effect of this shot.

I'm afraid though that there is nothing detailed to share at all. Precision shipped the camera back with a preset white balance for its IR conversion. They had set that in one of the preset WB banks.

This shot is using that white balance straight from the camera and into Lightroom. I tweaked the exposure a bit, and that was it. I wish I could claim a magic formula here, but alas :)...

This result is actually one of the characteristics I find intriguing about this conversion. Optically, it has done some very interesting things with the prairie dogs' fur. I have seen this in other cases with trees as well. I have a few other shots that have this same feel. I have to explore it more.

Doug

greypilgrim

I thought all the shots were very good. The 1st and Last did stand out for me but I did like them all.

What filter did you have placed in the G1?

Can you pass along the contact info for Precision as well.

Thanks, Dan
Dan,
Thanks for the comments. Here is the link for Precision:

http://www.precisioncamera.com/infrared-conversion-services.html

as well as a wealth of info about the different conversions. Be aware that oyu cannot actually get the price for their conversion online even though it seems you can. You have to send them an email.

I had them do the 715n conversion based on suggestions from folks here.

Doug

seakayaker

Dan,
Thanks for the comments. Here is the link for Precision:

http://www.precisioncamera.com/infrared-conversion-services.html

as well as a wealth of info about the different conversions. Be aware that oyu cannot actually get the price for their conversion online even though it seems you can. You have to send them an email.

I had them do the 715n conversion based on suggestions from folks here.

Doug

Thanks for the information!

I picked up a G1 body recently and plan to have the IR conversion completed in the very near future.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)