The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-5 ... sheesh ...

Godfrey

I've been planning to buy an E-3 when the E-5 came out, following my usual strategy of buying the last, just obsoleted top of the line. But the E-5 is making me re-think this.

The change adding an SD slot instead of the (stupid) xD slot, the changes to the sensor and data system, and the fact that they left all the already good bits well enough alone ... hmm.

Oh well. Have to wait for Adobe to update Lightroom 3 for it. I guess that gives me time to accumulate some more cash ...

Although I may yet just buy that E-3 anyway.

Godfrey

... sometimes Adobe may be very fast...... :)
I hope they are in this case.

I talked to Olympus today regards battery compatibility since the E-5 has a new BLM-5 battery and I already have six BLM-1 batteries. They're going to call me back after some further testing, but it looks very much like the batteries are all compatible between E-1, E-3 and E-5, albeit the BLM-5 will net more exposures per charge cycle. That's another push towards the E-5 as it preserves the couple hundred dollars value in batteries that I have already paid for.

As I said in another thread, I think Olympus has done just the right things for their professional customers with this camera. I applaud their sensibility and focus on what is important to photographers.

kweide

We are informed that both types of batteries can Be use in E-3 and in E-5 As well. Only the Chargers are fixed on their resp. Battery types. The old Charters cannot Charge the new battery and the new Chargers cannot charge the old types. What a mess...

Godfrey

We are informed that both types of batteries can Be use in E-3 and in E-5 As well. Only the Chargers are fixed on their resp. Battery types. The old Charters cannot Charge the new battery and the new Chargers cannot charge the old types. What a mess...
That doesn't bother me much. I have three chargers for BLM-1s already, easy enough to carry a different charger for BLM-5s ... once the aftermarket is running, they'll be about $20 apiece.

I'm never in a hurry when I'm setting up batteries for a charge, I'm often in a hurry when grabbing a fresh battery out of the bag so the fact that the batteries are interchangeable is the important part to my shooting needs.

RichA

I've been planning to buy an E-3 when the E-5 came out, following my usual strategy of buying the last, just obsoleted top of the line. But the E-5 is making me re-think this.

The change adding an SD slot instead of the (stupid) xD slot, the changes to the sensor and data system, and the fact that they left all the already good bits well enough alone ... hmm.

Oh well. Have to wait for Adobe to update Lightroom 3 for it. I guess that gives me time to accumulate some more cash ...

Although I may yet just buy that E-3 anyway.
The E-3 sensor performance is so poor compared to modern competition from Nikon and Canon it isn't funny. The E-5 is just a warmed-over version of it. 2lbs of body with a 4/3rds sensor. Nuts. Unless you are awash in expensive Olympus glass, there are at least a dozen other DSLRs that are better choices in or below the same price point. This is why I've never been system-tied, it does not pay in the long run.

Michiel Schierbeek

The E-3 sensor performance is so poor compared to modern competition from Nikon and Canon it isn't funny. The E-5 is just a warmed-over version of it. 2lbs of body with a 4/3rds sensor. Nuts. Unless you are awash in expensive Olympus glass, there are at least a dozen other DSLRs that are better choices in or below the same price point. This is why I've never been system-tied, it does not pay in the long run.
Oh no please, not again..... We have been here already.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Somebody should write a thesis on "The emotional reactions to launches of professional DSLRs from Olympus with photographers who don't own and will never consider buying a camera from said Japanese manufacturer".

Already during the seventies, when I was a happy OM-1 owner (and the OM-1 was a rather popular camera), I was frequently asked why I didn't buy a "real" camera, like the Nikon F. With the E-1, it really took off, and on various internet fora, one could read zillions of reasons why that camera was a failed attempt from Olympus. And so it goes... on and on.

While there are several good reasons not to buy an E-5, for some people, and I know a few, there are reasons to buy it. The E-1 and E-3 have proved to be extremely reliable cameras with excellent image quality when used within their limits. The lenses are second to none, and as far as I know, that goes for all of them. The large size of the E-3/5 is a mystery to me (and I still think that a weather sealed E-620 with an E-5 viewfinder would be a good idea, even if the price were on E-5 level), and is the most important reason why I don't own one. Not yet anyway.

R

ravduc

Re: RichA should tell us if he has ever used an E3

How can anyone claim this unless they have directly compaired cameras in a controlled environment. We keep hearing this from Canon and Nikon users who have never even held in their hands an Olympus camera.

V

Vivek

How can anyone claim this unless they have directly compaired cameras in a controlled environment. We keep hearing this from Canon and Nikon users who have never even held in their hands an Olympus camera.

Good point!

However, there is nothing enticing about the 4/3rds cameras to get that holding possibility in this era of larger sensored cameras, despite the good system glass, great flash set ups, etc, etc.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Good point!

However, there is nothing enticing about the 4/3rds cameras to get that holding possibility in this era of larger sensored cameras, despite the good system glass, great flash set ups, etc, etc.
I keep hearing the large sensor argument, but apart from better high-ISO performance, it does nothing for my photography. Ergonomics, great glass and ruggedness, factors that make me able to "capture the moment", regardless of weather, time and location, that is what counts for me. I made some of my best photos with the E-1 and 11-22mm. There's nothing like that combo made by any other camera manufacturer, but we all have different needs I guess.

V

Vivek

The E-1 and E-3 have proved to be extremely reliable cameras with excellent image quality when used within their limits. The lenses are second to none, and as far as I know, that goes for all of them. The large size of the E-3/5 is a mystery to me (and I still think that a weather sealed E-620 with an E-5 viewfinder would be a good idea, even if the price were on E-5 level), and is the most important reason why I don't own one. Not yet anyway.
I keep hearing the large sensor argument, but apart from better high-ISO performance, it does nothing for my photography. ...but we all have different needs I guess.
Those are some of the reasons, Joergen.

The little G1, still keeps on clicking, btw. Very reliable. It did not self destruct even after the g2 showed up.

The E5, if I am not mistaken, has the same sensor?

Now, I would not use the G1 or the likes for sports. The E1-5 may be better suited for that. But we do hear that most serious sport shooters do prefer Ca or Ni.

RichA

I've owned 6 Olympus DSLRs, starting with the E-1. Unless you are going to claim that literally every magazine and net comparison is 180 degrees wrong, I think we can safely assume Olympus's offerings right now are not in the same league as Canon or Nikon when it comes to image quality across the ISO range.
The only people who pretend this isn't so are Olympus fans, especially those who are system-tied.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Those are some of the reasons, Joergen.

The little G1, still keeps on clicking, btw. Very reliable. It did not self destruct even after the g2 showed up.

The E5, if I am not mistaken, has the same sensor?

Now, I would not use the G1 or the likes for sports. The E1-5 may be better suited for that. But we do hear that most serious sport shooters do prefer Ca or Ni.
I don't really care what the serious shooters use. I do motor-sports and golf, and that's serious enough for me. At the moment, I use Nikons and Fujis, but a couple of Olympus bodies would work just as well for that.

I'm increasingly happy with the image quality of the GH1 btw., and I suppose the E-5 will be along the same lines. I did a product shoot in studio last night, and I wouldn't dream of doing that without an articulated LCD anymore, which mostly leaves Nikon out. Canon 60D would be an alternative though.

My only problem with the GH1 was that it's too small, with somewhat flawed ergonomics. I keep pushing buttons when I shouldn't. The E-5 would be nice for that, and they could share many of the lenses that I use (as could the Canon).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have they released it?
They haven't, and it will be interesting to see what it brings to the table. Although I'm not 100% happy with my GH1, I might still be in the market for one. In spite of the ergonomics, the GH1 is probably the most flexible photo tool I've ever used.

kwalsh

I did a product shoot in studio last night, and I wouldn't dream of doing that without an articulated LCD anymore
+1 on that for landscapes as well. I always thought articulated LCDs were silly gimmicks until I used a G1 for a landscape photo trip. Someone needs to make a FF camera with a articulating LCD. Actually, nix that, my wallet would much prefer they don't!

V

Vivek

Articulating LCD (Panasonic G1 style and not the Nikon D5000 or Sony A55 ones)should be a standard on ALL digital cams.

This is a big plus for the E-5.

Why would all of them have "liveview" and fixed LCD is beyond me.:confused: