The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FD body to Eos Lens Adapter

kainekainekaine

Does anyone know if such an adapter is possible or exists? I am posting in this section as it would be to go on a GH1 FD adapter and for experiments with m43rds. If it is possible does anyone know someone that can make them? Many thanks.

photoSmart42

There are FD-to-Eos adapters out there, but not the other way around. Eos has a slightly shorter registration distance than FD, so Eos lenses on an FD body wouldn't work other than in macro mode. Why not just get an Eos-to-MFT adapter if you want to play with Eos lenses on your GH1? You won't be able to adjust aperture, but at least you can get your Eos lenses on.

kainekainekaine

I thought FD was shorter. On wikipedia it states reg dist 42mm for FD and 44mm for EOS. Would that make it possible? Like you can use a Olympus lens (46mm) on a Canon EOS body (44mm).

photoSmart42

I thought FD was shorter. On wikipedia it states reg dist 42mm for FD and 44mm for EOS. Would that make it possible? Like you can use a Olympus lens (46mm) on a Canon EOS body (44mm).
Yes, sorry, typo. People convert their FD lenses to fit on Eos camera by replacing the mount to shave off those 2mm extra, than in many cases have to shave off pieces of the rear element to clear the mirror. It's possible to make an Eos mount for FD cameras I suppose, but I don't know if anyone has. In any case, why go through all that when you can mount both of those directly to your GH1?

I am posting in this section as it would be to go on a GH1 FD adapter and for experiments with m43rds.
It would be much more efficient to purchase an EOS to m43 adapter, rather than spending the same money on an adapter that would then mount on another adapter.

Just a suggestion:
Canon EOS to m43: This adapter has a built in tripod mount and also can function as a shift mount for seamless stitching! Cheaper ones can be had but without the mount. I have the Leica R to m43 version and it is very well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapt...119013&sr=8-22

Best regards,
Jonathan