The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 - worst kept secret - official specs

biglouis

It does sound interesting to owners like me who have a Gf-1 and might be attracted to a camera with better high-iso performance. If the iso1600 is a big improvement, I'd like one given my investment in lumix glass. But I'd have to scrutinise the samples first when dpreview do a test before convincing myself.

LouisB

apicius9

This is an annoying development. I had thought once it comes out I could decide whether I want it or not, but it has just enough interesting features to keep me interested but not wow me over. While I like the more intuitive and ergonomic design of the (programmable) buttons & the wheel, the faster autofocus, and the supposedly slightly better low light performance, I am pretty indifferent toward the video improvements and the touch screen. I think I mostly agree with Dragos' point of view. If I get a decent price for my hackable GH1, I may just order the GH2. Then I would only need something to get me through the next few months... Anybody wanna sell a cheap GF1 body? ;)

Stefan

ampguy

They mention the sensor is oversized, so while still u4/3 for 4:3 format, those doing 16:9 stills and video get more resolution than the other u4/3rds (6 out of 8 use the exact same sensor).

B

boyzo

Thanks for the Post Terry, some great incremental improvements.
Is the GH2 available body only ?

G

gcogger

It does sound interesting to owners like me who have a Gf-1 and might be attracted to a camera with better high-iso performance. If the iso1600 is a big improvement, I'd like one given my investment in lumix glass. But I'd have to scrutinise the samples first when dpreview do a test before convincing myself.

LouisB
Well the GH1 is already quite a bit better at high ISO than the GF1, and they claim the GH2 is better, so hopefully you'll be in luck :)

V

Vivek

I'd be interested to find out what this means:

Reduced by how much? What are the native ISO settings and what are the 'extended' settings?

They also claim in their press release a "more than 3dB improvement of noise and 200% high sensitivity" in the new camera. 3db is 1 stop, but is the 200% sensitivity adding another stop on top of that?

Perhaps 1:1 contact print? :D

No "starry sky" symptoms will be visible at that size. Well, there will be 0 noise at ISO56000 as well. ;)

B

boyzo

>Is the GH2 available body only ?

Seems to be ($899)
Thanks Uwe but apparently at only 5000/month this will be a scarce body.

One thing that's improved on the GH2 body is the speckled finish and also a soft textured surface to the RH grip areas.

How it looks and feels compared to the rubberised matt black coating is hard to say but I think its more durable and may be more pleasing.

The screen printing on the 4 way controller buttons remains the same and wears off on the G1 (They should adopt the LX3 idea .. metal buttons with recessed molded characters)

All up still a great incremental change especially body only :)

hot

Who really needs one? :confused:
It is an atrociously priced "lens in a cap".
Loreo makes much cheaper ones.
Loreo (ha, ha, ha) --- worthless and nerving vertical double pictures ---> throw Loreo ---> trash

I'm making 3D pictures freehand ... even with Sanyo PD1 - HALF PRICE of Lumix 3D lens ... and PD1 also makes fine movies 1920x1080/30 and 1280x720/60 with stereo sound !