The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zoom lens coverage at telephoto end

zcream

So no c-mount zooms work for full coverage at the wide end. However, are there any zooms (fast c-mount or otherwise) that work on the entire m4/3 sensor at the wide end ? I am hoping for f1.4 or thereabouts at 100mm and uip (i.e. 200mm equivalent) to allow for a fast tele lens.

Pat Donnelly

Yes!
1.5 18-90mm Sun or Cosmicar or possibly many other names. Very large and heavy. You finally drag it out of me.
The last one I saw on the web was for sale from Canada. No vignetting at all, possibly it covers 35mm?

Remember that some of the 2x lenses, often not c mount, where the doubler is switch enabled, will work with any m4/3 which has digital zoom albeit with some degradation. These can be very good with extended range and f1.4 or so. But as they will not work with my ep1 which does not have digital zoom, I cannot give a first hand account.

zcream

I some some of the B3 B4 mount lenses and have adapted them. However the 2x doubler adds 2 stops. So, a 1.7 lens become 3.4

zcream

Edit:- 2 stops from 1.7 would be
2 = (x/1.7)^2
x=1.7 * 1.14 = 1.94

Hmm.. Not too bad here. I have a number for Fujinon lenses at that speed. Pics to follow soon.

zcream

I could not locate a 18-90mm zoom. However there is a Sun Cosmicar 22.5-90mm f1.5 zoom. Are we talking about the same lens ?

Yes!
1.5 18-90mm Sun or Cosmicar or possibly many other names. Very large and heavy. You finally drag it out of me.
The last one I saw on the web was for sale from Canada. No vignetting at all, possibly it covers 35mm?

Remember that some of the 2x lenses, often not c mount, where the doubler is switch enabled, will work with any m4/3 which has digital zoom albeit with some degradation. These can be very good with extended range and f1.4 or so. But as they will not work with my ep1 which does not have digital zoom, I cannot give a first hand account.

zcream

Incorrect math

3 = (x/1.7)^2
x=1.7 * 1.73 = 2.94

So I have a f3 zoom.

Edit:- 2 stops from 1.7 would be
2 = (x/1.7)^2
x=1.7 * 1.14 = 1.94

Hmm.. Not too bad here. I have a number for Fujinon lenses at that speed. Pics to follow soon.

zcream

Hi Pat. I think the stops are the square of the ratio. So a f2 lens need 4 times more light than an f1 lens. I bought the Sun cosmicar from a seller in Canada. waiting for it to arrive.