The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Sucks! (per OP)

photoSmart42

P.S. - there's nothing really to be concerned about having these sort of conversations every now and then. As uncomfortable as they may seem, they're natural, and if everything's out in the open we'll get through it without issue. It's part of growing as a community, and it's what makes the community stronger in the end.

Terry

I believe it has been said. On the first point yes, an orientation sensor is useful. Panasonic's implementation is unfortunate but not the only company not Doing auto rotate. E-PL1 is notable current example.

On the second point it was a configuration issue not Panansonic specific. In addition we felt there were different ways of asking why it wasn't working that might have been more effective. While the title of the thread was purely opinion it seemed a bit over the top once the two points were dissected.

I think this thread has run its course.

Michiel Schierbeek

Certainly, but I'm sure you make it a point to tell your kids why what they did was wrong so they don't repeat it in the future. QUOTE]
Well that is because Guy assumes we are no kids any more.
I am with Ustein on this: a friendly forum should not use suck unnessaraly as a title.

But it is all very easy, plain and simple.
You just use the word suck and the thread is busy and you get the endless - freedom of speach - discussions which are completly strayed away from the issue at stake here, which was not very interesting anyway.
These kind of - know better - discussions is exactly why I moved away from DPR

BTW Never had any problems looking at my Pany files.

Michiel

Tullio

IMO, a lot has to do with body language (or lack thereof). When I talk to my 13 year old son, he can read my body language and use that to judge how he should receive what I'm telling him. On the net we don't get that. We read what people write w/o having the opportunity to actually see their expression, so we can only judge what we read based on content. Obviously each individual has his/her own way to express their opinions and one can easily misunderstand what's being said/written depending on the writing style, chosen words, etc.

B

bruce1s

One of the reasons I prefer GetDPI rather than some of the other forums is because the posts are normally respectful and to the point so I don't have to read through pages of arguments and insults.

Although I was not offended by the OP, I believe the administrators responded correctly. In addition, it allowed me to see that the overall mature mood of GetDPI is not simply an accident but is cultivated and guarded by the site owners/administrators--to whom I am grateful.

By the way, I have yet to own a digital camera that did NOT "suck" (defined as having any REALLY frustrating features or really frustrating lack of features). This includes Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panasonic, Fuji. Nonetheless, given all the frustrations, as soon as I discovered digital I sold my Nikon and Mamiya TLR film cameras and lenses and haven't looked back.

Although I discovered 4/3 through my admiration for Olympus, I now own a Panasonic G1. Therefore, however badly Panasonic might suck they produced a camera that is very useful to me at the moment. (I kept my E-510 to use with my ZD 50/2 macro).

Cheers.

pellicle

Hi

has everyone here forgotten that the orientation sensor is in the lens on the pansonic so you will not get orientation information without the right lens attached?

I agree with Clay that it is annoying to not have encoded orientation information in every image, but it is not unique to Panasonic.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
One of the reasons I prefer GetDPI rather than some of the other forums is because the posts are normally respectful and to the point so I don't have to read through pages of arguments and insults.

Although I was not offended by the OP, I believe the administrators responded correctly. In addition, it allowed me to see that the overall mature mood of GetDPI is not simply an accident but is cultivated and guarded by the site owners/administrators--to whom I am grateful.

By the way, I have yet to own a digital camera that did NOT "suck" (defined as having any REALLY frustrating features or really frustrating lack of features). This includes Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panasonic, Fuji. Nonetheless, given all the frustrations, as soon as I discovered digital I sold my Nikon and Mamiya TLR film cameras and lenses and haven't looked back.

Although I discovered 4/3 through my admiration for Olympus, I now own a Panasonic G1. Therefore, however badly Panasonic might suck they produced a camera that is very useful to me at the moment. (I kept my E-510 to use with my ZD 50/2 macro).

Cheers.
Thanks, we try.
On the subject of relative or general suckiness, I agree that there is at least one aspect of every camera I have ever used that begged improvement.
-bob

Jonas

Hi

has everyone here forgotten that the orientation sensor is in the lens on the pansonic so you will not get orientation information without the right lens attached?
Hi pellicle,

In Australia now?!
Hey, I read everything as nobody forgotten that fact. I guess that's why Bob said "not ... in every image" as I assume he meant we get automatic orientation information with Panasonic lenses with OIS function.

That's one of the Panasonic mistakes in my opinion. An in-body orientation sensor could have given us not only the not vital orientation info but also leveling info when framing the image.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, rather than orientation if the exif contained an actual tilt-sensor tilt in degrees and fractions, that might be more useful than merely which end is up.
My hand leveling is less than perfect, so if the image contained the data that migh indicate (for me) that the camera were tilted 0.9 degrees to the right, it might be a more practical solution. I also am of the opinion that this really ought to be a body and not a lens function.
-bob

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>My hand leveling is less than perfect, so if the image contained the data that migh indicate (for me) that the camera were tilted 0.9 degrees to the right, it might be a more practical solution.

Yes, this would be useful.

I actually often also tilt intentionally without wanting the image be rotated (e.g. aerials and also close-ups).

pellicle

Hi pellicle,

In Australia now?!
yeah ... headed home to sort out the house and get access to better jobs.

Sanding floors, fixing beams under the house + interior exterior renovations.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2010/06/tree-ate-it.html

That's one of the Panasonic mistakes in my opinion. An in-body orientation sensor could have given us not only the not vital orientation info but also leveling info when framing the image.
full support there ... and omitting it from well priced lenses such as the 7-14 is really annoying. I'm willing to bet that the new touted 14mm lens fails to contain said sensor.

pellicle

Actually, rather than orientation if the exif contained an actual tilt-sensor tilt in degrees and fractions, that might be more useful than merely which end is up.
This is among the most practical suggestions I have read of yet. I wonder how accurate they are? Iphones seem to be able to determine even a few degrees tilt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2010/06/tree-ate-it.html

full support there ... and omitting it from well priced lenses such as the 7-14 is really annoying. I'm willing to bet that the new touted 14mm lens fails to contain said sensor.
What about the complete lack of the sensor on the E-PL1 and even if you use the lenses from Panasonic that have it, they don't register the in the exif so all shots must be manually rotated.

Jonas

...and a palm tree antenna!
I wish you good luck at your new old place!

/Jonas