The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Sucks! (per OP)

clay stewart

I need to get this off my chest. It all started when I was backing up my images to my external hard drives and I started to reminisce looking at old raw files, going back as far as the Canon 300D.

Anyway, I've had my fair share of DSLR cameras over the past eight or nine years, like most of the Canon Rebel's, 20D, 5D, Nikons D70, D90, D300, D700, Olympus E330 and E420 and now I've had a couple of Panasonics. Here's the truth of the matter, Panasonic is the largest electronics company on the planet, if I'm not mistaken and they tend to be the most expensive, for what you really get. Out of all my cameras, I've had, only the ones from the largest electonics company on the planet (Panasonic) don't allow their images to auto rotate(you know, so you don't have to cock your head sideways to see it) and also they are the only raw files that won't open up in ACR, from an external hard drive. They open up in Finder, where you can see nothing but the picture. You have to down load them to your computers hard drive to see them and or edit them.

Panasonic reminds me of a big lumix, big and dumb.:deadhorse::D

Terry

Re: Panasonic Sucks!

I don't agree with their implentation of image rotate. It is lens dependent. Lenses with OIS do rotate automatically.
As to the hard drive issue, I'm perplexed. I kept none of my files on my hard drive for two years. They were only on drobo. They opened perfectly in Lightroom. I can check ACR when home.

V

Vivek

Panasonic reminds me of a big lumix, big and dumb.:deadhorse::D
As a reminder, they do religiously put LUMIX in indelible and virtually unalterable white paint (while the less important function buttons tend to lose their screen prints easily) on every camera they make. They are the most honest camera makers ever.

Here is a shot of their 3D video (re)invention launch from Photokina 2010 (Canon in the background is no coincidence as Canon made a super duper 3D zoom with internal stabilization for digital video ~a decade ago :D).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

clay stewart

Hi Terry, I didn't know it was lens dependent, but I think I may have used my 14-140 a half a dozen times, since it was new, so that might explain me not noticing it. I made a mistake, by saying pany raws open in finder, they open in preview, is what I meant to say.

thomasl.se

I guess I kinda need to get this off my chesterfield: 'LUMIX' sounds like a cheapo segment TV of old. Faux silver plastic shell with fat square springy black buttons that are gonna pop out on the floor waiting to be stepped on by bare feet in a trailer pentry.

Godfrey

The facts:

- LX1, LX3, FZ10 ... all fixed lens Panasonic cameras include rotation info.

- L1 and L10 SLR bodies include rotation info regardless of lens.

- Micro-FourThirds Panasonic bodies put the rotation information in based on the OIS system in the lens fitted. No OIS, no rotation information.

- Current version of Camera Raw and Lightroom can process all Panasonic raw files. Doesn't matter where in the file system they are, as long as these applications can reach them they work just fine.

- The Finder's photo browsing capabilities are limited ... That said, I just flipped through about 6,000 Panasonic FZ10, LX1, L1, and G1 mixed raw and JPEG files with no problems at all. However the Finder is not a photo browsing application, it's a file system UI. Better to use a photo browser (Bridge, Photo Mechanic, etc) if that's what you want. Or put them into Lightroom, then you don't even have to have the external drives mounted.

clay stewart

Godfrey, I'm talking about looking at the files on an external hard drive. If I click on any of the raw files of the cameras I've owned over the past eight years, CS5 opens them in Camera Raw, except for the GF1 and GH1, which open in preview. I could drag them to my hard drive, to view them, but I don't want to.:wtf:

Jonas

(...) I made a mistake, by saying pany raws open in finder, they open in preview, is what I meant to say.
Isn't that a problem with the computer/OS/ACR-Photoshop configuration?
On my Windows XP machine I just tried and clicking a G1 raw file located at an external HD called up CS5 and then the image in ACR. The same with a DNG file originating from the same camera.

pellicle

Hi

.... They open up in Finder, where you can see nothing but the picture. You have to down load them to your computers hard drive to see them and or edit them.
Finder? Sounds like a Mac issue to me (I am so dam sick of finding .Spotlight and .whatever files littered around on any drive I plug into a Mac). So, you don't normally just slurp the images from the card to your Computer? You're normal workflow is to USB the camera itself to the Mac and just read from there?

Sounds like double handling to me.

Aside from the images I take with my adapted lenses my images auto-rotate fine.

This is not to say I have no issues with Panasonic

kevinparis

clay

think the problem may be that the file extension for the pana files are associated with Preview

Select one of the files on the external drive and hit command I to Get info - from there you can change the "open with' to the program of your choice

give it a try

K

Jonas

Panasonic may suck. I have my issues with my G1, just as I have had with every other camera I have owned. I don't like their battery policy, and I certainly don't like the idea of a new battery for the GH2. I don't like their menu system, I have my issues with their lenses, ergonomics, their prices and lack of accessories and some other things. But I don't think Panasonic sucks, as in really sucks.

Godfrey

Godfrey, I'm talking about looking at the files on an external hard drive. If I click on any of the raw files of the cameras I've owned over the past eight years, CS5 opens them in Camera Raw, except for the GF1 and GH1, which open in preview. I could drag them to my hard drive, to view them, but I don't want to.
Don't know why that is. But why don't you choose one, Get Info, and set the application to open them to be Photoshop instead of Preview, and set that to be the default. This is a simple user-system configuration issue.

More sensibly, just use Bridge to view them ... ??

Diane B

Panasonic may suck. I have my issues with my G1, just as I have had with every other camera I have owned. I don't like their battery policy, and I certainly don't like the idea of a new battery for the GH2. I don't like their menu system, I have my issues with their lenses, ergonomics, their prices and lack of accessories and some other things. But I don't think Panasonic sucks, as in really sucks.
LOL. i agree as REALLY sucks (not). I'm a PC person but have used external drives for many years. I also use LR since the first beta. Never any issue--i never notice whether thay are Canon or Panasonic files. All open the same. For the lenses that aren't automatically rotated I select all in an uploaded file and rotate at same time. Takes very little time.

clay stewart

clay

think the problem may be that the file extension for the pana files are associated with Preview

Select one of the files on the external drive and hit command I to Get info - from there you can change the "open with' to the program of your choice

give it a try

K
Thanks Kevin. I have everything put away for now, but next time I do a backup, I'll give that a try.

V

Vivek

In my case all that plus the "starry skies" sensor unit.

I agree that they don't REALLY suck.:ROTFL:

Tullio

... and they tend to be the most expensive,...
They are far from being the most expensive. Canon, Sony and Nikon all have much more expensive photographic equipments. The reason I specifically mentioned "photographic" is because in other areas such as stereos, TVs, etc., they are far from being the most expensive.

for what you really get. Out of all my cameras, I've had, only the ones from the largest electonics company on the planet (Panasonic) don't allow their images to auto rotate(you know, so you don't have to cock your head sideways to see it)...
Well, that is somewhat annoying but Oly does that too. The EPL1 for instance, operates the same way. Now personally I choose to turn the camera around rather than my head!

V

Vivek

They are far from being the most expensive. Canon, Sony and Nikon all have much more expensive photographic equipments. The reason I specifically mentioned "photographic" is because in other areas such as stereos, TVs, etc., they are far from being the most expensive.
I disagree. The very reason I have boycotted the 7-14/4 zoom is the price (not a matter of being able to afford it or not). The Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 (faster, covers lot more real estate and simply awesome) is to be equated with the Pana 7-14 in terms of price?
Atrocious price.

As Pellicle pointed out in another thread, a not so fast 14/2.5, in comparison to a 28/2.8 of Canon is way over priced.

ustein

Contributing Editor

I think this thread has a bad title because the problem that was the basis for this title has very little to do with Panasonic, right?

Terry

I agree with Uwe.

Vivek....not sure of pricing in Europe but 7-14 here in the US is $1000 vs the Nikon at $1785 at B&H (domestic not grey market version).

jonoslack

I agree with Uwe.

Vivek....not sure of pricing in Europe but 7-14 here in the US is $1000 vs the Nikon at $1785 at B&H (domestic not grey market version).
Just checked - £1049 at warehouseexpress - half as much again.
Nikon 14-24 is £1278 . . . . more expensive, but really not that much, the Nikon 12-24 f4 is only £750

Canon seem to be worse though. at one point when the G12 came out it was more expensive in ££ than it was in $$ in the states.