The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix fisheye 8mm/3.5

V

Vivek

nugat, Thanks for posting some of the first sample shots.

I have to say that these small sized shots do remind me of P&S image quality.

I have got excellent quality from the 10.5mm Nikon fisheye on Nikon's APS-C DSLRs. Perhaps that is a bit too much to compare, one might think.

However, given the price tags, it is a relevant comparison.

nugat

Here's 100% of the beach. Admittedly not easy on the lens against the sun.
GH1 in native 16:9, 1/640s, f9, ISO100

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I actually like to shoot against the Sun and with the Sun in the frame with a fisheye.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor (fast!) on Nikon D300

At the local beach (defished image).

10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor (fast!) on Nikon D40x

10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor (fast!) on Nikon D80-IR, Infrared capture.

nugat

Second day and a couple more shots from my morning shopping today.
I have the lens on loan, and the novelty is wearing off already. I don't think I'd spend that kind of money for an effect to be used once every couple hundred of shots. But just out of curiosoty: Vivek, what constitutes a good fisheye?
I already see that familiar objects should not be placed close to the side edges. Architecture with many straight lines becomes tireing. The GH1 native 16:9 does extra deformations at the edges too.
How this lumix fails where Nikkor shines (apart from the sun in the lens!).
This is no catch, I don't care about fisheyes, please share. Have mercy on my second day pix taken with a fisheye.
(To see the 1200pix wide pictures in full click the thumbs)

Last edited: