Site Sponsors

Capture Integration Digital Transitions Camera West empty Guy Mancuso Photography

Thread: GF1 IR and lenses with Hotspots

Post Thanks / Like

GF1 IR and lenses with Hotspots

Lets exchange some experience with different lenses on the GF-1 IR (715n conversion).

Panasonic 14-140mm (hotspots from 14-25mm, above mostly ok)
    Olympus 14-54mm (4/3) seems all ok
    Panasonic 14-45mm mainly ok
    Panasonic 45mm Macro ok
    Uwe Steinmueller

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1 IR and lenses with Hotspots

I have a GH-1 with the 715nm conversion.

I agree with Uwe on the PL45/2.8 and the 14-45mm.

The absolutely best lenses I have come across for the camera are the Contax G favorites are the 35/2 and the 45/2.....crisp, clean and no hotspots at all. It's like they were made to do IR.

The Contax G 90/2.8 is a little long for what I would shoot. I recently picked up a Biogon 28mm, but haven't shot with it yet. (Other members have and their IR shots look pretty wonderful).

Super Duper

Ithaca, NY
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same experience as Rich. Contax G lenses that I use with the G1-IR are the 28, 35, and 45 (occasionally the 90) and all are great with exceptional clarity and no hot spots. I've also recently been using a Canon 24mm TS-E II with great success on the G1-IR using an EOS/m43 adapter (need to preset aperture on a Canon body first. I just set it at f/8 or f/11 and leave it there for all of my IR shooting. The Lumix 7-14 was also very good with the G1-IR.

Weinheim, Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of (hardly known) Carl Zeiss Jena lenses made for VIS + especially IR, produced in small numbers for the secret service years ago. They are razor sharp and have no hotspots at all (no wonder actually) - does that count?