The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus blew it, and it is sad they did

Godfrey

I think olympus did the sensible thing. They have realized that the standard 4/3rds SLRs in their current shape are never really going to be interesting enough for most people to switch from canikon to olympus. So they provided a "decent upgrade" for existing E-3 users while hopefully working on newer technologies which might have the potential for attracting new users. ...
I'm not certain that the solitary goal of any camera company can be assumed to be to try to persuade users of other brands "switch" to their brand. I'm pretty sure that most camera companies are well aware of how intense the brand loyalties are amongst the camera enthusiast community.

Olympus started attracting professional interest (outside of the scientific community, who loved the Pen SLRs earlier than that) with the OM system in the early 1970s. It was never as large a professional following as Nikon or Canon ... Olympus is a much smaller company ... but they maintained their professional constituency from that point onwards. The E-1 and E-3 were designed for that professional constituency, just like the E-5 has been.

I'm very pleased that they left a good, solid, well thought out body design like the E-3 alone for the most part (modulo the addition of a larger, better LCD and the amount of control rearrangement required to fit it) and concentrated on updating the sensor and the image data and image processing systems. And they provided forwards and backwards compatibility for batteries, grips, remotes, tripod adapters, and everything else. That is sensible development in my book.

seakayaker

Godfrey, I will look forward to you posting some photos and comments regarding the E-5 once it is in your hands.

I enjoyed the reviews posted in another thread by SimplyRobin. . . . . http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2010/10/olympus-e-5-review-concluding-remarks.html . . . . . and would enjoy another opinion from an Olympus user who is using the E-5.

Also the comments from Jorgen regarding the Ruggedness, i.e., "Ergonomics, great glass and ruggedness, factors that make me able to "capture the moment", regardless of weather, time and location, that is what counts for me," sparked my interest.

Always enjoy your photos that you post here and in your blog.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)