The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GH1 lens mount not tight, is it defect?

Shang

Hi I have a newbie question wonder if anyone can help? I bought an used GH1 and the problem I'm having is when mounted the 14140 lens, the lens is not 100% secure. When I turn the zoom ring on the lens, the lens itself rotates from the body just a little bit. The same thing happens with the pancake also. Is this a defect, does Panasonic service something like this? it's quite annoying. Thanks.

photoSmart42

Happens to mine as well. There's just a tiny bit of play on the lens sitting in the mount. It's a common issue, and every now and then (rarely) I get a message telling me the lens isn't seated properly. Must be manufacturing tolerances not quite adding up. Doesn't seem to affect anything though.

Tullio

I have a G1 and first experienced this issue with the Canon FD adapter I bought. I thought that the adapter was not properly made. But then, I noticed that the same adapter mounted tightly on the EP1 body, so it had to the the G1. This is not a big deal when using AF lenses. However, it can become a problem when using MF lenses because that tiny bit of movement can be enough to affect crucial focusing (macro shots in particular). It seems to be that it would not be very difficult for Panasonic to re-design the mount ring that attaches either to the camera or to the lens. All they need to do is extend the flanges a millimeter or so.