The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 Preview at Luminous Landscape

Diane B

I've just read Michael's preview and it certainly sounds like a nice upgrade. I still think I'm going to wait s bit to see what happens in the next year overall but this might be on my list.

M

meilicke

Agreed Uwe, if the high ISO is looking as good as he says it is, it should turn out to be a fab upgrade.

clark666

I like the physical size of the GH2. I am looking for an E620 upgrade so I hope that the GH2 will autofocus my 4/3s lenses

seakayaker

I like the physical size of the GH2. I am looking for an E620 upgrade so I hope that the GH2 will autofocus my 4/3s lenses
On the Panasonic web site which lists the GH2, http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/index.html , the following statement does appear at the bottom of the page. "LUMIX G Micro System cameras can be fitted with the mount adaptor DMW-MA1 that allows the use of a wide variety of high-performance Four Thirds lenses, of high-performance Four Thirds lenses, including Leica D lenses."

I have the 25/1.4 and 14-50/3.8-5.6 lenses and they auto focus with my GF1 using the DWM-MA1 adaptor. The adaptor from B&H is listed for $104.00, http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/index.html

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Diane B

There is a list of the 4/3rds lenses that will AF on thr Panssonics. Sorry I don't have the.link but I believe you csn find it on Panasonic's site. All of the lenses will mount with either Panasonic's or Olympus' 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapters (i think there is a third party one out also). I bought mine used 18 mos ago (sctually NIB) so I'm sure you should be able to find a used one around now for a decent price.

Jonas

I still wish they had put two control wheels on the GH2 but there is always something more to wish for, no? Great news about the faster viewfinder (and AF). Now let's hope Panasonic has fixed most of the G1/GH1 quirks (incl the strap lugs...) and I might finally upgrade from my G1.

If the LUMIX logo is the biggest problem with the camera I guess a good overhead pen can take care of that.

clark666: I brought my ZD14-35 to a camera shop and tried the AF with an E-PL1 and then with a G2. AF worked with both cameras. Being a grand de luxe state of the art 4/3 lens with SWD drive the focusing was iffy and quirky and took time, between 1 and 2 seconds, but it worked and both cameras nailed the focus.

/Jonas

clark666

That is good news. Now I have to decide whether to feel like a traitor for not buying the E-5. I know that I should buy both and return the one that I use the least.

Amin

I've been telling myself that my GH1 is good enough, but the linked LL preview broke me. Sold the GH1 today. I'm hoping they decide to offer a GH2 kit with the 14/2.5.

Now I'm telling myself that I really don't need the CV 25/0.95 :).

seakayaker

I've been telling myself that my GH1 is good enough, but the linked LL preview broke me. Sold the GH1 today. I'm hoping they decide to offer a GH2 kit with the 14/2.5.

Now I'm telling myself that I really don't need the CV 25/0.95 :).
Nice review, but . . . . .

. . . . . I'm going to hold out and wait for the GF2 . . . . .

. . . . . and the CV 25/0.95 is going to be shipped on or about 11/08/2010.:D

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

biglouis

Nice review, but . . . . .

. . . . . I'm going to hold out and wait for the GF2 . . . . .

. . . . . and the CV 25/0.95 is going to be shipped on or about 11/08/2010.:D

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
I thought I read somewhere that the GF2 would not use the same sensor as the GH2 - so that either implies reduced or even improved performance compared to the GH2.

seakayaker

I thought I read somewhere that the GF2 would not use the same sensor as the GH2 - so that either implies reduced or even improved performance compared to the GH2.
. . . . . for now I plan on waiting for the GF2 . . . . . not in a rush, not interested in video at this point in time, do love the size of the GF1 and hope they keep the same body size or close to it, improve the EVF that could be used with the GF series, and hopefully take as many of the GH2 improvements and perhaps others to keep the GF series fans coming back for more . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Terry

If the GF2 or new Panny camera integrates the EVF like the LC-1/Digilux 2 I will be back at m4/3

CPWarner

The LL first look was interesting on several fronts. Beyond the High ISO improvements, the improvement in AF speed and the 16MB image for all aspect ratios are also interesting. I like how they are providing photographers several programable buttons for accessing things we want to quickly. Seems like a nice design. What is a real shame is that Panasonic insists on selling this with a lens rather than offering a body only option. That makes it a pain in the rear for all of us who already have the lenses we want.

I will likely replace the G2 with the GH2 for the high ISO noise performance, AF speed, frame rate (5 frames per second), and 16MB. Looks good.

Terry

The LL first look was interesting on several fronts. Beyond the High ISO improvements, the improvement in AF speed and the 16MB image for all aspect ratios are also interesting. I like how they are providing photographers several programable buttons for accessing things we want to quickly. Seems like a nice design. What is a real shame is that Panasonic insists on selling this with a lens rather than offering a body only option. That makes it a pain in the rear for all of us who already have the lenses we want.

I will likely replace the G2 with the GH2 for the high ISO noise performance, AF speed, frame rate (5 frames per second), and 16MB. Looks good.
There will be a body only option for the GH2. I've seen $899 quoted.

Look in the Commercial Vendor Sales and Services forum here on getDPI, Monza (Robert Jagitsch) will be selling GH2 bodies for $899.

Paul

Last edited:

Amin

The body only option is still there at Amazon, but without a pre-order option, which makes me thing it will be available but delayed.