The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need your kind assistance - for bokeh/sharp lens

ricseet

Hi, can any one advise which of these lens has a better Bokeh which is also sharp with good details:

1. Angenieux 25mm / 1 Inch f .95 C Mount Or

2. Steinheil Quinon f1.5 25mm

I needs:
For flowers and portraits.

Any other good option that you can recommend..

Thank you in advanced for your time.

Ric

Jonas

Hmm...

For a super fast 25mm lens I would without doubt wait for the Voigtländer 25/0.95. Compared to the Angenieux it covers the sensor and costs less money.

For a very fast 25mm lens I would without doubt buy the Panasonic Summilux-D 25/1.4. While bigger and heavier than the Steinheil it covers the sensor, is admirably "sharp" already wide open and doesn't has more CA or other problems than the Steinheil. I don't know the price of the Steinheil so can't compare that. The Panny lens does however come with warranty and AF and AE.

I've been there, done that and to me it was frustrating with expensive lenses not covering the sensor showing a lot of CA at the edges.

/Jonas

apicius9

I have the little Angenieux and I love it, but I agree with Jonas: If I were looking for a lens of that sort, I would be waiting for the Voigtlaender and go from there. I never considered the Summilux because of its size, but have seen fantastic pics taken with it and only heard good things about it. I don't know anything about the Steinheil, except for what Klaus has posted.

If you really want an older fast c-mount lens, there are a few others. One of the Schneiders seems to cover the sensor (unfortunately, I'm not sure which one right now). And IIRC, the Angenieux 25/1.4 has slightly less vignetting and is stll plenty fast (and cheaper).

Stefan

Jonas

For flowers and portraits, why do you need a 25mm lens? :confused:
Maybe he likes the FOV? Here are two images taken with normal (50mm equiv) lenses (the iris with the previously mentioned Summilux-D btw):

(both images are cropped at the sides)

ricseet

Hi Jonas, Stefan, Vivek,

Thank you so much for your time and advise.

Jonas thanks for your postings and wow that Flower from the 25mm F1.4 blew me away - the details and DOF is gorgeous.
- Portrait is sharp with lovely bokeh as well.
I shoot 1:1 on my GH1 a lot!
BTW, which cam did you shoot these with?

Vivek, your are correct and I should not restrict to 25 and keep my option open to 50mm as well. Have seen lots great posting with 50mm.

I am sorry that I forgotten to mentioned that I have the Pana 20mm f 1.7 for my GH1.
I have the 4/3 system Pana L10 as well.
I bought GH1 body only becos I prefer to use the PL 14-150mm lens and I am using more than 90% of the time becos I mainly shoot birdies. I have reach a stage that I want to venture into portrait and flowers with nice bokeh.

I have read that the 20mm f 1.7 IQ is slightly worse off than the 25mm f1.4. I personally find that hard to believe and what do you folks think?

In summary this is the shot list:
1. Voigtländer 25/0.95
2. PL 25mm f 1.4
3. Someone else recommendaed the Pana 45mm f2.8
4. Read that Oly 50mm f 2 is a good one to consider as well.

This list reflects my personal sentiment between the two system:
1. I prefer the m4/3 body
2. But prefer the 4/3 lenses - I have the 14-50mm f 3.5 but sold the f 2.8 becos it does not AF on the GH1. Heard that it will on the GH2?

Thanks once again everybody for your kind advise. Will see how things go from here.

cheers

ric

Jonas

Hi Jonas, Stefan, Vivek,

Thank you so much for your time and advise.

Jonas thanks for your postings and wow that Flower from the 25mm F1.4 blew me away - the details and DOF is gorgeous.
- Portrait is sharp with lovely bokeh as well.
I shoot 1:1 on my GH1 a lot!
BTW, which cam did you shoot these with?
(...)
Hi ric,

I'm glad you liked it. But honestly, anything looks good this small and on screen, doesn't it?
The images are recycled ones taken from what happened to already be on-line. The flower image was taken with a G1 (gotta love that articulating screen and I'm actually looking forward to the GH2 with touch control for some situations). The image of the French waiter was taken with an Pentax *ist DS (6MP 1.5 crop) and an SMCP FA 35/2 (2005 or 2006).

Good luck, wherever you end up!

/Jonas

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Ric,
I had the 50 f/2 Olympus macro. It is a very sharp lens and I used it a lot for macro, but I did not think that the bokeh from it was very pleasing. I did not use it much for flowers or people.

ricseet

Hi Cindy, glad that popped by. I have never used the Oly 50mm. I will take your user experience for it and drop it from my list.

cheers and have a nice week ahead

ric

ricseet

Hi Jonas, I have seen small images but they did not capture my attention. Your did!
I am looking forward to the GH2 upgrade as well. I heard they started shipping in US this week. From what I have read and seen it is promising!

I viewed more images here last night and I must admit that I fancy Klaus's KINOPTIK as well. Great to have ONE lens that does Flowers, People and Landscape as well.
I have communicated with Klaus and he is most helpful.

I have bought my 20mm since it was released but hardly use it. I got it hooked up to my GH1 now and set it to MF to gain the MF experience.

cheers and have a nice week ahead

ric

Hi ric,

I'm glad you liked it. But honestly, anything looks good this small and on screen, doesn't it?
The images are recycled ones taken from what happened to already be on-line. The flower image was taken with a G1 (gotta love that articulating screen and I'm actually looking forward to the GH2 with touch control for some situations). The image of the French waiter was taken with an Pentax *ist DS (6MP 1.5 crop) and an SMCP FA 35/2 (2005 or 2006).

Good luck, wherever you end up!

/Jonas