The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF2 Official Thread

jonoslack

:sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: sounds about right.

Pana maybe thinking too much of themselves?
:ROTFL: what? - rather than the crew at getDPI - I think you're right there!

Sorry Vivek . . . was I short of snoozies :salute:

kevinparis

Kinda baffled why they called it the GF 2 which implies that its an improved GF1 and not something else as olympus did with the EPL-1.

Amin

Kevin, I'd say this naming indicates that this will be the sole direction of the GF line, whereas Olympus will be continuing both E-PL and E-P lines.

ecsh

Perfectly happy with my GF1, and would not consider this at all. Maybe in 18 months or so, they will release something that really is an upgrade to the current GF1 body style.

Terry

I stil think this opens the door for another style camera. I really don't mind the loss of controls and having to use the touch screen. I am really rolling on the floor laughing that the touch screen interface is looking closer to the Sony interface that everyone laughed at. To me the big miss is making in a fixed screen and not tilting like the NEX or the other G's. Just that bit of tilt changes the way you hold the camera and also IMHO makes using a touch screen easier because it is easier to keep yourself in shooting position when changing settings.

Diane B

I stil think this opens the door for another style camera. I really don't mind the loss of controls and having to use the touch screen. I am really rolling on the floor laughing that the touch screen interface is looking closer to the Sony interface that everyone laughed at. To me the big miss is making in a fixed screen and not tilting like the NEX or the other G's. Just that bit of tilt changes the way you hold the camera and also IMHO makes using a touch screen easier because it is easier to keep yourself in shooting position when changing settings.
I tend to agree with Terry. It does seem to open doors for other models. It seems to address the EPL1 and NEX to me but what do I know LOL.

I also don't think a touch screen without being able to tilt would be very nice to use. I like the NEX idea of tilt.

Not a camera for me but I can see it fitting into their marketing. I hope Amin is wrong and this is not the direction of the GF series OR---a higher end model coming down the road.

Rawfa

They shouldn´t have made this camera as a replacement for the GF1, they should have made it into a new cathegory and even smaller...since it seems to be it´s raison d'être.

clay stewart

I think a lot of people are hoping or were hoping for a Fuji X100 type for the GF1 replacement, but I wonder if a small rangefinder from Panasonic, would in some way affect the Leica/Panasonic relationship. I don't know, but I've wondered about this, ever since the X100 was announced. Hopefully, not, because after seeing the X100 enthusiasm, I think a Panasonic version would be a best seller, if it was priced right.:)

C

curious80

It makes perfect sense for Panasonic to release a smaller, simpler and cheaper model - just ignore the fact that it is named as GF2 :) I am pretty sure that there will be another higher-end compact model later. They probably wanted enough differentiation for that higher-end model that they decided to make that a new line and pushed the GFx down to more entry-level. Just think of GF2 as GFL1 and everything is well :)

Godfrey

Looks good, for all those who wanted smaller, lighter, simpler, cheaper as their thrust for Micro-FourThirds. Obviously that's not going to satisfy those that wanted the other direction of EVF, more capability, better build, etc. I predict some people will be ecstatic and some others bitterly disappointed.

]'-)

Can't please everybody all the time ... And nowadays, given the baseline of digital camera performance reached in the past five years, not every camera has to be an earth shattering breakthrough to be a very successful camera indeed.

I think it's time to get back to Photography. :)

... "Equipment often gets in the way of Photography." ...

bradhusick

It is possible that the development of a higher pixel count EVF is happening and that owners of both the GF1 and GF2 will benefit. This is pure speculation, but having a separate EVF allows this kind of innovation without being tied to camera release cycles.

I'll be interested to see the photo quality comparison of the GF1 and GF2 side by side. Right now the LX5 does everything I want a compact camera to do, so there's no GF2 in my future.

kdemas

I do wish they had come up with another name for the slimmed down, touch control GF2. The GF1 has become known for it's ability to be enjoyed by more serious photographers, I'm not sure the touch controls on the GF2 allow for such enjoyment by the same audience.

My complaints are just marketing related and hopefully a successor will be forthcoming sometime for the GF1, which I enjoy a great deal.

ggibson

Panasonic better keep the pricing at $599 or less if they really want to appeal to the E-PL1 crowd. Still, even if the controls are a bit "dumbed-down", I see this as a decent option for those who own the G or GH line of cameras but want a more compact camera. Hopefully Panasonic can make a lens cap that's a bit smaller this time though ;)

RichA

There are some who will buy anything that is new that comes out. One fellow on the Dpreview groups I know owns over 100 digital cameras. But there comes a point where you really have to ask, "Am I going to benefit from the modest improvement in features offered here?" As for the camera being innovative, IMO, Samsung's idea of putting a camera function button the lens body is clever. I found it very easy to work with. For this new GF, I think it's a higher-end version of the Olympus EPL-1.

Diane B

I looked at the touch demo video (thanks Terry) and think I could like it but still think a tilt LCD would make it easier/more functional. I noticed in one section that he was using the optional EVF and it looked the same as the current one--which I own. I know some say just buy a G2/H2 if you want an EVF but I DO have a G1 and still like the aux. EVF on my GF1 and just leave it on all the time without any problems. I would sort of hope they would do s better EVF at some point for the GF series but OTOH I wouldn't buy new until/if I would buy a new GF body so....

I hope this is just one additional body for the m4/3 family and that there will be a new body somewhere in between GH2 and GF1.

Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.

Diane

Last edited:
V

Vivek

There are some who will buy anything that is new that comes out. One fellow on the Dpreview groups I know owns over 100 digital cameras.
I always suspected such people existed.....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: