The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF2 Official Thread

ggibson

Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.
- New GF2 owners will want the 20mm as a second lens
- Current m4/3 owners may be enticed to buy the GF2 bundle to pick up the 14mm
- The 14mm is smaller, so it minimizes the GF2's footprint

pellicle

. . . . . glad your eyesight improved! I think you were reading the min focus on the side of the lens . . . . .
you know, I looked ... looked again ... searched the text on the pages ... and just after posting....

oh well :wtf:

at least my pants are back up now

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am really disappointed about Panasonic using the old sensor in this new cam. Why not go for the same 18(16)MP sensor like the GH2?

Sometimes marketing of these companies is a complete mystery :confused::rolleyes:

douglasf13

I do wish they had come up with another name for the slimmed down, touch control GF2. The GF1 has become known for it's ability to be enjoyed by more serious photographers, I'm not sure the touch controls on the GF2 allow for such enjoyment by the same audience.
As far as many serious photographers are concerned, ISO, shutter and aperture control are really all that is needed in a serious camera, and the GF2 seems to be fine in that regard. Of course, YMMV.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a camera. One can attach lenses to it. If the shutter release works, it can probably be used for taking photos. Must be nice then, mustn't it?

Me? Nah... Last time I counted, I had at least 11 thumbs, so the GH1 is more than small enough. One of my regular pushers has a mint OM-3 for just a little bit more. I mean, if I'm going to spend money on something that I absolutely do not need ;)

R

radatax

So the GF2's a smaller, NEX-like GF1 with a touchscreen... I'm glad Panasonic continues to support this form factor but I'll stick with my hacked GF1 for a while longer. That intimidating mess of buttons on the back becomes a joy to use once you get used to it but then again, a good touchscreen interface would make accessing settings even faster and more intuitive. The GF2 would make an awesome HD camcorder once it gets full manual controls for video.

RichA

I looked at the touch demo video (thanks Terry) and think I could like it but still think a tilt LCD would make it easier/more functional. I noticed in one section that he was using the optional EVF and it looked the same as the current one--which I own. I know some say just buy a G2/H2 if you want an EVF but I DO have a G1 and still like the aux. EVF on my GF1 and just leave it on all the time without any problems. I would sort of hope they would do s better EVF at some point for the GF series but OTOH I wouldn't buy new until/if I would buy a new GF body so....

I hope this is just one additional body for the m4/3 family and that there will be a new body somewhere in between GH2 and GF1.

Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.

Diane
I have suspicion the 14mm is much cheaper to produce than the 20mm, but I could be wrong. They could just be catering to the WA crowd. IMO, a 20mm is more useful, overall if you intend to only use that lens. A friend of mine does.

pellicle

I have suspicion the 14mm is much cheaper to produce than the 20mm, but I could be wrong.
I have a suspicion that they are both cheap to make and that Panasonic is just as happy as to be able to sell the 20mm for what they can.

But as I understand it an f2.4 lens will be cheaper to make than a 1.7

They could just be catering to the WA crowd. IMO, a 20mm is more useful, overall if you intend to only use that lens. A friend of mine does.
I'd be tempted to keep the 14mm on most of the time for 'tourist snapshot' stuff. I find I'm normally after "wide" when walking through a scenic area than others. Of course on 35mm cameras a 24 and a 50 are my normal walking around pair.

Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.

Godfrey

... Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.
Same deal:
Putting the Olympus ZD 25/2.8 on the E-5 and the 35/3.5 Macro in my pocket transforms the camera into something else entirely when I go for a walk, compared to carrying it with the 11-22, 14-50 or Summilux 25. It all of a sudden becomes light and seemingly inconspicuous to others.

If Olympus would release a compact ZD 16mm f/3.5, like the Pentax DA 15mm f/4 Limited, I'd be in heaven.

RichA

I have a suspicion that they are both cheap to make and that Panasonic is just as happy as to be able to sell the 20mm for what they can.

But as I understand it an f2.4 lens will be cheaper to make than a 1.7

I'd be tempted to keep the 14mm on most of the time for 'tourist snapshot' stuff. I find I'm normally after "wide" when walking through a scenic area than others. Of course on 35mm cameras a 24 and a 50 are my normal walking around pair.

Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.
I think it's time for Panasonic to come up with something that could match my 16-85mm Nikon. So far, nothing they have does. Their 7-14mm is a good lens, with price to match. Their 14-45mm kit lens is fine, but it could be better. Notice I left out the 14-42mm. :)