The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Digital 12-60 on GF-1

mbroomfield

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried the Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 on a GF-1 (or any Panasonic u4/3)?

If so which adapter did you use, MMF-1, MMF-2 or DMW-MA1?

Lastly, has anyone used this lens on an IR converted GF-1, and if so can you comment on hot spots (or lack of:)).

Thanks

Mike

mbroomfield

Hi nugat,

Which u4/3 adapter do you use?
Any issues with it?
How well does it AF?
I've seen Jon's comments that the lens is excellent, do you agree?
Are either of your bodies IR converted? If so you get any hotspots?

Thanks!

Godfrey

Hi nugat,

Which u4/3 adapter do you use?
Any issues with it?
How well does it AF?
I've seen Jon's comments that the lens is excellent, do you agree?
Are either of your bodies IR converted? If so you get any hotspots?
- All three FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds adapters operate identically. There are no differences other than finish, brand name and price.

- The ZD 12-60mm does not autofocus at all on Panasonic G1, GF1 and GH1 bodies. It will autofocus (somewhat slowly) on Panasonic G2 and G10 bodies, and (perhaps a little faster) on Olympus Pen E-Px bodies.

- The ZD 12-60mm is well known to be an excellent performer. It has a bit of rectilinear ("mustache") distortion at the wide end but is otherwise very sharp and contrasty with overall good bokeh. It is very nicely constructed and weather-sealed. It's a pro-quality lens, in other words. On the downside, it is somewhat large and heavy when fitted to compact Micro-FourThirds bodies.

- I've not used any Micro-FourThirds or FourThirds body for IR capture.

nugat

One for one what I'd answer. Actually it's pretty much pointless to mount the lens on the Ep1 either (totally awkward). Especially when one has the E5 now! (second day).
This is an amazing combo. The 12-60performs in my tests as good as 25/1.4 and 50/2 legendary primes, sometimes even better, especially in the corners. It's slower of course, but f2.8-4 is still very reasonable for one lens to take with you. "12-60--it's 48 primes you always have with you !"

- All three FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds adapters operate identically. There are no differences other than finish, brand name and price.

- The ZD 12-60mm does not autofocus at all on Panasonic G1, GF1 and GH1 bodies. It will autofocus (somewhat slowly) on Panasonic G2 and G10 bodies, and (perhaps a little faster) on Olympus Pen E-Px bodies.

- The ZD 12-60mm is well known to be an excellent performer. It has a bit of rectilinear ("mustache") distortion at the wide end but is otherwise very sharp and contrasty with overall good bokeh. It is very nicely constructed and weather-sealed. It's a pro-quality lens, in other words. On the downside, it is somewhat large and heavy when fitted to compact Micro-FourThirds bodies.

- I've not used any Micro-FourThirds or FourThirds body for IR capture.

mbroomfield

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help, I've had this lens for a couple of weeks now and it's everything I hoped for;

Some of my favorites from IR converted GF-1

Stage Harbour

Chatham

Sandwich

Hyannisport

Chatham (False colour)

Provincetown Dunes (Pine Anemone!)

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help, I've had this lens for a couple of weeks now and it's everything I hoped for;

Some of my favorites from IR converted GF-1
The image files are not being displayed, Mike. Possible a transient error ... although they do show up when I nab the URL and jump there directly.

They're also a bit on the large side for display in a forum thread like this.

P

Pesitalia

I have both and tried the 12-60 on my GF-1 for a few shots. In terms of IQ the results are very good as expected, especially the sharpness, however you should consider that there is no image stabilisation therefore this combo requires fast shooting times (at least twice the focal lenght).
Carlo