The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this goodbye olympus 4/3?

JGH

Hi all,
For a while now i have been thinking about buying an E30. It seemed a logical upgrade from the E520, (bigger viewfinder, better focus system, same battery, the list goes on) i was also going to get the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8.
BUT... i have been experienceing some odd things with my E520. I always thought it was me not holding the camera steady enough or not checking where i was actually locking my focus onto but it seems my cam has the dreaded front/back focus issue that i have read about. :eek:
I checked all my firmware no's and they are up to date, so i then tried one of the many focusing charts that you can download and it seems i have a significant front focus problem on two of my lenses and a back focus on the 40-150mm. :thumbdown:
I found this out when my wife and i went for a walk and to try out wireless off camera flash, (that worked a treat, even in bright sunshine. The metz 48 flashes are brilliant.) Alot of the pictures were just not in focus at all and i distinctly remember checking my focus, hence the tests.
This was good ammo for my wife who didnt want me to buy Olympus to start with. (shes a Canon fan) and i got the usual "i told you so" thrown at me !!!
Even though i did remind her that the Oly was a compromise on features and price, i liked the features she liked the price (ONLY JUST!!) and that she wouldnt let me buy a Nikon D300 at the time (that just made things worse, so now it was all her fault.....oh what hole i dug !!!!!:angry:)

Anyway that comes back to Is this goodbye olympus 4/3?, IF i bought the E30 i know i can adjust the focus to cancel the front/back focus problems, however i just saw the Nikon D7000 and WOW !!! (wife still not happy, A.Its not a Canon & B.Its alot of cash.)
What im asking is: has anyone got an E30? how good is the viewfinder compaired to the E520 (or dare i say it.. A Nikon Dxxx?) is the AF good especially the C-AF as on my E520 it is no good for fast moving subjects.
And has anyone had any focusing issues? Because i really like the specs of the E30, its got everything i want and if i invest in one and the Sigma lens then that cost equals the Nikon D7000 which would take me a while to recover from (even after selling all my Oly stuff). Also buying the Nikon puts me back in terms of equipment as i wont be able to afford lenses or flashes for a long time and i just got used to off camera flash and enjoy messing around with different lighting.

Sorry for the long boring "help me decide" post, its not meant to be one. I would just like some views and user experience on the E30 (especially the viewfinder) I enjoy my photography and feel a little disapointed with the E520.

If you read this far... thanks :)

JGH

Well....... i guess the E30 isn't a very popular camera as nobody has commented. As it happens a guy at work has a Nikon D300s with the 18-200mm & 60mm micro lenses. I was very surpised at the weight difference from the E520 and the build quality was excellent.
The viewfinder was so much brighter but i found it even more difficult to see all the frame (i wear glasses) and found i really had to move my face about so as to be able to see all the corners.
That said, the focusing was fast and accurate and the lens was so quiet focusing that you could just hear it. It made the E520 look like a toy.
As the D7000 is very similar to the D300s it was a good indication of what to expect, So to answer my own question.....

YES...... this is goodbye Olympus..... :salute:

and hello Nikon. :clap:

jonoslack

Well....... i guess the E30 isn't a very popular camera as nobody has commented. As it happens a guy at work has a Nikon D300s with the 18-200mm & 60mm micro lenses. I was very surpised at the weight difference from the E520 and the build quality was excellent.
The viewfinder was so much brighter but i found it even more difficult to see all the frame (i wear glasses) and found i really had to move my face about so as to be able to see all the corners.
That said, the focusing was fast and accurate and the lens was so quiet focusing that you could just hear it. It made the E520 look like a toy.
As the D7000 is very similar to the D300s it was a good indication of what to expect, So to answer my own question.....

YES...... this is goodbye Olympus..... :salute:

and hello Nikon. :clap:
Check out the Nikon Colour . . . If you like it, then that's fine.

C

curious80

I dont have experience with the E30 so can't help you there. However the focusing issues can be there in any camera brand. 2-3 years ago I had a canon 30D which had a slight front focusing issue. It was slight enough that I didn't notice it for a long time. However when I did realize the issue I had to send it to canon for a fix. It was by that time long out of warranty and I ended up having to pay 60% of the market value of that camera for repair charges :(

JGH

Well, i have just checked and my camera is still in warranty (as long as i can find the reciept). So, if i can send it for repair i will. Then i will think about selling it OR....get the E30..........mmm but that Nikon does look mighty attractive, i just know my wifes not to pleased with my expensive upgrade idea. Ahh, i hate not being able to make up my mind..
Ok, warranty issue first then see where i go from there...

Godfrey

Well, i have just checked and my camera is still in warranty (as long as i can find the reciept). So, if i can send it for repair i will. Then i will think about selling it OR....get the E30..........mmm but that Nikon does look mighty attractive, i just know my wifes not to pleased with my expensive upgrade idea. Ahh, i hate not being able to make up my mind..
Ok, warranty issue first then see where i go from there...
Have the E-520 adjusted ... it should focus very accurately. The one I bought and delivered for a friend*in 2008 made excellent, well-focused photos.

The E-30 is a significant step upwards in viewfinder quality from the E-520. It has better controls, image quality, more features, etc, in nearly every dimension that counts. If you want to stick with Olympus, it is a fine body.

You'd likely be better off going that way, and upgrading a couple of lenses to the similar focal length Olympus HG counterparts, than switching systems if you're worried about costs.

JGH

Thanks Godfrey, i have just discussed this with my wife and she is happier to send it away (its cheaper). Im ok with spending more :), when you want something badly enough there is always a way (as long as its legal). I really like the new Nikon but i still find myself always going back to the reviews of the E30...
Ah, wait and see. Got to find my reciept first !!!

Thanks again

pellicle

Hi

I agree ... if its under warranty. The differences in focus can be cause by many issues but (to me) prime among them will be misalignment of the focusing screen.

For example a Pentax *ist (top) vs my G1

that is of course too late to complain about warranty.

But that's what warranty is for .. fixing manufacture defects :)

Nikon may not be perfect in the lower end either btw

PS: that above shot represents the general result of over 14 shots even ones where I carefully focused on the cow manually

JGH

pellicle, there is a big difference there between those shots, mine is very similar. Was testing agian this evening and i must stop as i get very frustrated seeing it front focus.
Hey i like the M+M man, i asked my wife to get me one of them for xmas, but it must be full of m+m's. I want a yellow one.....

pellicle

Hi

pellicle, there is a big difference there between those shots, mine is very similar. Was testing agian this evening and i must stop as i get very frustrated seeing it front focus.
the difference is startling. That's one of the things I like about m4/3 ... focus confirmation is done on the sensor. What you see is what you get.

but don't get frustrated, get it fixed. Build some photographic evidence to support your claim and send it back.

Its a pain but hey ... sh*t happens.

JGH

Ok, well i took some more tests so i can have a reference point.
Here are some 100% crops of the front focusing problem on 3 different lenses.
I will send these on a CD when i send the camera in.
The actual focus point is the red square with "TV ORIGINAL" (its my wifes execise machine and its gathering dust !!!)
Strangely the problem does not seem to exist in live view. All these crops are through the viewfinder. Well actually the 35mm Macro lens still has a problem in live view but the 2 kit lenses seem to be ok. If you focus the 35mm Macro on a close subject (ie actually a macro shot, its very sharp) which is odd. I know its something to do with focusing distances etc etc but i really dont care i just wanna take pictures !!!!

All these were taken at a distance of about 3 meters

Last edited:

pellicle

Hi

interesting points

when using live view the camera is using the sensor to focus and is using contrast detect, whoever when using the "regular" optical viewfinder methods it is using phase. Please browse this if you don't know these terms.

Phase detect can have problems with plain tones and may be having trouble with your target. It needs either a vertical set of lines of a horizontal set (depending on how you're holding the camera and the type of system you have).

This means that (for instance) a camera may not be able to focus on a power line across a blue sky because there is no vertical edge in the area.

Despite it being marketed as being magic it still has limitations which you need to understand and work with.

I'd say find a target you can be sure of having contrast and having a go with that.

Worth noting is that the AF sensor point you pick in the view finder may not be EXACTLY where it displays as being, so don't make your target too small. It may miss it.

Godfrey

Hi

interesting points

when using live view the camera is using the sensor to focus and is using contrast detect, whoever when using the "regular" optical viewfinder methods it is using phase. Please browse this if you don't know these terms.

Phase detect can have problems with plain tones and may be having trouble with your target. It needs either a vertical set of lines of a horizontal set (depending on how you're holding the camera and the type of system you have).

This means that (for instance) a camera may not be able to focus on a power line across a blue sky because there is no vertical edge in the area.

Despite it being marketed as being magic it still has limitations which you need to understand and work with.

I'd say find a target you can be sure of having contrast and having a go with that.

Worth noting is that the AF sensor point you pick in the view finder may not be EXACTLY where it displays as being, so don't make your target too small. It may miss it.
While some issues with some targets are unavoidable, I'd say this target presents a good enough subject that neither of my older SLR cameras (E-1 or L1) would have any trouble focusing the ZD 35 accurately with it.

I'd send the E-520 in and have it taken care of. This kind of poor focusing performance is not typical of the E-520 model, IMO.

pellicle

While some issues with some targets are unavoidable, I'd say this target presents a good enough subject that neither of my older SLR cameras (E-1 or L1) would have any trouble focusing the ZD 35 accurately with it.

I'd send the E-520 in and have it taken care of. This kind of poor focusing performance is not typical of the E-520 model, IMO.
agreed ... it was a For His Info (FHI) in assisting him develop and assess focusing testing

PS ... I forgot to mention to the OP that the above tests look like they were done in low light. This is also a source of focus issues as in dim light AF has problems.

Fundamentally however I agree with Godfrey on all his points above

JGH

I was taking pictures today with the 14-42 @ 42mm as it is ok at that focal length & i decided to switch to the 35mm Macro on the off chance it may take a pic that is "sharp enough".
Strange thing is...... it worked perfectly, it took sharp image after sharp image at distances of between 3-5 meters. Now the light was good (window light - cloudy overcast) and i was using a flash, but it focused without a problem.
Now it was mentioned that the test pics might have been taken in a low light situation. Well, i had 220W of tungston halogen light shining on the exercise machine & that was sufficient in the past (taking indoor pics when it was new), that should be enough for the camera to focus on. (i dont have 15ft ceilings)
Things are looking bleak as i cant find my reciept, so my wife will call the shop to see if we can get a duplicate ( i don't speak Czech).
Fingers crossed.
Im selling my motobike, leathers and helmet :cry::cry::cry: so i will see how much cash i will have and decide: Nikon D7000 or E30 & keep my existing gear and get another lens. (Im leaning towards the E30 as it will cost a packet to get to the same level of gear from Nikon)
:confused:
I think i have a long time to think about it as ive heard if i can send the E520 in, it could have upto 6 weeks TAT !!!!
Wait and see.....

O

OlyPaul

I've used the E-30 and E-620 for over a year now and have had no problems with front focusing or any other focusing problems except where low light and a lack of contrast occasionaly make it hunt a little it, nor have I had that problem with my E-1, 500, 510 and 420 I have owned and yes the viewfinder is a very big improvement over the E-520 and all in all its a great camera.:)

To be honest the samples you posted do not look like front focus problems but more like the shutter firing before focus is confirmed. Normaly the shutter does not fire until focus is clocked, this can be altered in the menu so the shuuter fires even if it is not in focus, have you checked to see if this is the case and you have accidently enabled it by mistake in the menu?

JGH

Thanks Olypaul for your comments about the viewfinder on the E30, i keep wondering if it is worth staying will Olympus and upgrading or selling the lot & starting again :confused:
I did check the release priority settings in the menus. I never have them on actually and i got the centre red dot in the viewfinder and the round green circle along with the confirmation beep that the camera focused and locked on to the area (roughly as i dont actually know where the specific focus point is - i assume its around the centre focus point when that is the only active point, which it was in those tests).
As i said in a previous post shooting in live view is spot on, its just the viewfinder thats the issue.
Bummer really. Oh well.

Thanks J