The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EPL1 vs. EP2: High ISO low light detail retention and noise

ZoranC

As I am looking at IR's high ISO samples from two it seems to me EPL1 is delivering less noise and more detail out of the two and results from it when shot under such conditions look more pleasing even when not pixel peeped (I looked at them at 50%).

What is your experience? Do you find EPL1 is delivering more pleasing result (less noise / more detail) than EP2 at high ISO in low light?

Jerry_R

E-PL1 (like E5) gives finally as many details, as G1 delivered almost 2 years ago. Finally Olympus made more weak AA filter. I am talking about RAW.

EP1 and EP2 are giving less details due to stronger AA filter.

ZoranC

E-PL1 (like E5) gives finally as many details, as G1 delivered almost 2 years ago. Finally Olympus made more weak AA filter. I am talking about RAW.

EP1 and EP2 are giving less details due to stronger AA filter.
Thank you! I have done more searching since the post and did find it's not just me.

PeterB666

Each newer model is that little bit better. The changes to AA filter changes is one of the main reasons when the same sensor and processing engine is being used however there are are other tweaks too.

kwalsh

And keep in mind that besides the AA filter affecting the RAW performance, if the images you are looking at are in camera JPEGs instead of RAW then of course the image processor in the camera has been improved over time as well.

PeterB666

The main problem I have with the E-P1, and I expect it will be common with the E-PL1 and E-P2 as they use the same sensor, is the terrible amount of hot pixels with long exposures. I take a lot of pre-dawn stuff and long exposures (anything over a couple of seconds) must have the long exposure noise reduction on and anything over 2 minutes is useless.

By comparison, my other camera, a Nikon D90 which I have just acquired has given me clean exposures to 30 seconds with long-exposure noise reduction turned OFF. When I get a remote control, I will test longer exposures but I am expecting that the exposures that I need to do from time to time of up to 5 minutes or so may be fine without long-exposure noise reduction.

Olympus need to get better sensors into their cameras.

Jerry_R

I can only say about Lumixes - I have many exposures around 30 sec - no issues at all.
Of course with long exposure noise reduction turned ON. I use RAWs only.

V

Vivek

The main problem I have with the E-P1, and I expect it will be common with the E-PL1 and E-P2 as they use the same sensor, is the terrible amount of hot pixels with long exposures.

Olympus need to get better sensors into their cameras.
It is the same issue with all m4/3rds and recent 4/3rds cams which all use Panasonic's NMOS sensors. They are not hot pixels. They do not appear in the same position again and isn't simply noise. Only Panasonic can answer what the heck they are with any certainty.

It is a major drawback, IMO, of the Panasonic sensors (yes all of Olympus cams now use the same sensors).

Yes, these m4/3rds cams are no match for any lowest of the lowest priced DSLR (any make) out there when it comes to long exposures.

BTW, Sony NEX' do not exhibit this problem.

Jerry_R

Guys,
here you can compare DARKS between E-PL1 and NEX5
(go to section translated strangely as "Economy", look at "Dark Frame" and "Crop").

E-PL1
http://translate.google.com/transla...L1_Szumy_i_jako%C5%9B%C4%87_obrazu_w_RAW.html

NEX5
http://translate.google.com/transla...-5_Szumy_i_jako%C5%9B%C4%87_obrazu_w_RAW.html

As I mentioned - I ONLY see that pixels when LONG EXP NOISE RED. is OFF.
I have it always ON, it subtracts that pixels by software, so NEVER was really an issue for me.

But it doesn't change the fact, that NEX is far ahead.

Vivek,
I had NEX5 in my hands for some time, I decided to sell it. In general, as a system - at least now - it is not enough for my photography needs.

Below few samples of my night photographs:

10 sec.

6 sec.

8 sec.