The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GH1 vs G2 - still IQ quality advice needed

daveproctor

I recently moved back from a big DSLR outfit to a Panasonic MFT kit with a G2 and a GF1

I've never really done much video but used the G2 and my 14-140 to film the firework display at my brother in law's birthday party. I was amazed by the ease of use and quality but it has set me thinking I would have been better buying a used GH1 for its video capability as this is something I'd like to do more of.

Has anyone tried both the GH1 and G2 and is there any/much difference in image quality for stills? I am looking to hack the GH1 for optimal video quality but don't really want to go down this route if the newer G2 is better for still photography.

C

curious80

I haven't used the G2 but I have used the G1 and GH1. Between the two of these GH1 has a slight edge in still image IQ. And by all reports G2 seems to have a sensor identical to G1 so the same should be true for GH1 versus G2.

Tullio

I've had the G1 2-lens kit for almost a year and a couple of weeks ago I bought a GH1 body from Amazon (the price was real good and I could not pass on it). I've been shooting with the GH1 and after 400+ shots I must say that IMO, the GH1 does produce cleaner images at higher ISO (800 and above) but the side effect of it softer images in return. I was also disappointed that DR was not any better than the G1 (not that the G1 DR is bad by any stretch of imagination). I shot some video with it and although it has great video capability, in my case, not being a big video shooter, I'm not sure it justifies the cost as I already have an FZ28, ZS7 and EPL1 for video shooting. So, unless you already have some m4/3 lenses and buy the GH1 body for cheap (less than $500), I'd say the G2 should be a good way to go. Of course this is my sole opinion.