The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Adapters

pflower

Can anyone help? I am somewhat confused by what is available in the way of m 4/3rds adapters for Nikon lenses. On ebay there are a lot of cheap adapters from Hong Kong. Alternatively there are some extremely expensive ones also available - £260 or so.

I have a number of lenses with aperture rings, some AF others not. I also have a 12-24mm zoom. This is the DX lens without a manual aperture ring.

Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper adapters? Frankly at £260 I would probably just buy one of the panasonic zooms.

BillN

I have found that the "cheap" HK Nikon adapters, say from RJ Camera are well made and work very well with the Nikkor MF (AI, AIs and NAI), lenses on my G1 and sometime my EP-1 - although I prefer to use manual glass on the G1, (rather than the EP-1)

I have never tried any Nikon AF lenses on M43

Hope this helps

M

mjohnston

The cheap adapters are pretty much fine, with a few caveats. I only have the cheapest of the cheap and I'm quite satisfied. For your DX lens you can get an adapter with a ring that when rotated will press on the aperture lever on the back of the lens, thus adjusting the aperture. It's not as good as a real aperture ring, but it is better than nothing. The expensive adapters are no better in this regard.

The cheap ones can have a few problems:
1) Some have parts that can loosen over time, so you might need to tighten up a screw occasionally
2) They may not have the same precision as the expensive ones, so at wide apertures and long focal lengths you may not be able to focus to infinity, or you may end up focusing past infinity.
3) My Nikon adapter had a light leak - part of the locking mechanism let light thru it; some caulk or tape fixes that.

I don't see any of these problems justifying the absolutely astronomical price of the high end adapters.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I'm using different adapters for my MF Nikkor glass.
Some are cheap chinese ones, others are more expensive, like the fotodiox pro adapter I bought because it has a tripod collar fixation that I want to use with my 180/2.8 ED lens.

The cheap chinese adapters work fine, infinity focus has always been OK with the one I bought (like RJ), but indeed, from time to time, you may have to fasten a screw on the mounting flange. But that's no problem in my mind.

However, the more expensive fotodiox pro does not focus to infinity at all :mad:
I filed a complaint with fotodiox, they sent me a second copy, that is better, but still does not focus to infinity :mad::mad:

So, in regard of my experience, no need to go with the more expensive adapters ...

C U
Rafael