The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 produces the best image.

jsnack

At least to my eyes. I've been looking at thousands of images...both online and in person. My conclusion is that images taken with the original G1 just look better in all regards. Better than the m4/3 Oly models and better than the other m4/3 Panasonic models.

I can't explain it, but that's the way it looks to me. Could it be the built-in finder helps?

Does anyone else agree?

pellicle

I'll agree that the G1 makes the best JPG out of the camera images I've produced but I have not compared it with other 4/3 cameras than the 410 (which isn't fair)

I think I liked my 10D raw files better for image noise however.

V

Vivek

At least to my eyes. I've been looking at thousands of images...both online and in person. My conclusion is that images taken with the original G1 just look better in all regards. Better than the m4/3 Oly models and better than the other m4/3 Panasonic models.

I can't explain it, but that's the way it looks to me. Could it be the built-in finder helps?

Does anyone else agree?

I will add Sony's NEX' and Samsung's NX' to the mix (from personal experience).

It is the superlative EVF and the incomparable swivel LCD that makes the G1 sing.

Accidentally, Panasonic got it right the first time and have been trying to mess it up ever since. They can afford to mess around since there is no viable competition from Oly/Sony/Samsung.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think the G2 is not bad at all IMO and it now is my light weight go everywhere camera.
I have a hard time, being as fossilized as I am, dealing with anything without an eye-level viewfinder so that is why the GF1 does not see as much use from me.
-bob

V

Vivek

I am betting that the touch screen will die sooner than the LCD on a G1.

This is nothing but Pana's "self destruct" mechanism.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am betting that the touch screen will die sooner than the LCD on a G1.

This is nothing but Pana's "self destruct" mechanism.
Could be, but knock on wood, mine is going strong with so far no sign of degradation.
I am curious to see how it works when it gets real cold outside. That test will happen naturally later this winter.
-bob

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Does anyone else agree?
Yes - but there is a competitive wave happening and getting stronger next year. I have been solidly with Panasonic and Oly for the past three years - but now I have a Sony a55 and a Ricoh GXR which will be able to take M-lenses next year
This is a good time to be a digital photographer.

Keith

Tullio

I've had the G1 for almost a year and absolutely love it. I've also had the EP1 (OK IQ but it had a poorer DR than the G1 and the lack of flash was a killer, so I sold it), the EPL1 (still have it and like it. It's sharp, colors a great and it has outstanding high ISO performance, so a good "almost" pocket camera) and recently bought the GH1 body, which I've also returned. Now, that was a bit of a disappointment. I don't do video that much, so my primary reason for buying it was because of its supposedly better IQ. Well, I did not find that to be the case. Yes, it produces cleaner high ISO images but at he price of image softness and DR was either equal or worse than the G1. So, G1 + EPL1 are it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I liked the G1 but sold it when the GF1 came out. I like the G2 a lot now. Like Bob, as I age I find I prefer having a convenient EVF available -- don't always use it, but like it as a ready option. I just sold my GF1 for that reason, and will replace it with another G2 or possible a GH2. I still have my GF1 IR and do use the EVF with it in bright conditions -- love it for its compactness as it hides in any bag, always ready to be used.

Honestly, I feel IQ is excellent and a toss-up on all of these cameras. IMO the UI on the GF1 was a huge improvement over the G1, and the G2 is even a bit better. I shoot RAW + fine jpeg and use (and LOVE) the jpeg film modes on these cams -- and find the in-cam produced jpegs so good I now only rarely bother process a raw file. This is especially true for B&W shooting.

Great cameras for sure!

PS: Just did the firmware updates on both body and 14-140 and have to say the AF speed of the 14-140 is notably improved AND it is even more silent than it was before. Impressive.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After lot of investigations and having used a EP2 for almost a year now, I am pretty sure I will buy the GH2 as soon as available!

Helena

Reading this thread almost feels surreal, because I had a G1 and loved the handling, but disliked the JPGs. I thought they were too sharp (kind of gritty) and contrasty, even though I had turned those settings to the lowest possible value. Also, WB was a constant worry - sometimes too much magenta and sometimes too green. Now you make me regret selling it. :) I should have given it more time (I had it for about four months.)

Tullio

The AUTO WB can be a problem (yes, too much magenta sometimes). However, the G1 lets you fine tune the WB settings to compensate for some aberrations. The other thing is, the camera will perform much better if WB is set to daylight, so I believe the problem is related to how the camera interprets the lighting conditions specially when shooting in the shade. BTW, I found the GH1 to be much worse in that department.

V

Vivek

Reading this thread almost feels surreal, because I had a G1 and loved the handling, but disliked the JPGs. I thought they were too sharp (kind of gritty) and contrasty, even though I had turned those settings to the lowest possible value. Also, WB was a constant worry - sometimes too much magenta and sometimes too green. Now you make me regret selling it. :) I should have given it more time (I had it for about four months.)
That was all with the now famed original kitzoom that is practically being given away for nothing with the surplus G1 stock?:)

Gritty, contrasty- of course, how else will the camera focus in CDAF mode? ;)

Tullio

I believe sharpness is very much a matter of personal preference. I find the G1 images not sharp enough and in some film modes I have bumped it up to +2. So, it's all very subjective.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
On the GF1 and G2, I use normal color film mode with saturation set to +1. For B&W, I use Dynamic, but then dial back sharpening and contrast to -1. (FWIW, I also set intelligent exposure to low.) These settings seem to give me OUTSTANDING results on both cameras. Cannot speak to the G1 as I no longer own it and did NOT play with the in cam jpegs on it.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Not official yet, but there is an alternate mount on their GXR roadmap for 2011 (and an APS-C zoom). No details as to which mount, but most speculate an m-mount.
Yes, as Andrew says, its not official - but the rumors are gaining more traction.

Keith