The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommend a leather half-case for GF-1?

agoglanian

Hi guys, I've checked around and I have seen so many varieties of cases for the GF-1. I know panasonic makes one for for the camera but it seems only so-so.

Now on eBay I also came across one from "Kayne-Wayne" which actually looks quite nice, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these and can offer some insight.

Otherwise I would love to hear some suggestions.

wjlapier

The one Terry has is very nice--might be my old one.

I've had the kayne wayne one and it's very well made, but the knob on the bottom that attaches the case to the GF1 stuck out too much so I passed it on to someone else. If I were to get a case again for my GF1, it would be the Panasonic one.

agoglanian

Well the kayne Wayne cases that I saw on eBay do not have a knob of any kind on the bottom. Maybe it would still be worth looking at one of those then.

Diane B

I have the Panasonic one also and am very happy with it. The extra grip is helpful and it sits flat. I use it now with a wrist strap and got rid of the light neck strap I used in the beginning. If you like a neck strap it works fine but if you don't the one snapped little strap that holds it on is enough and the cover fits snuggly. I tend not to use the lens cover part since I leave the EVF on all the time--mine is also for the 20. I looked at s lot of the covers online but glad in the end I bought this one.

agoglanian

Can anyone post some images of their camera with the half case on? I'm curious how any of these stay on snugly w/o some sort of attachment thread on the bottom (as we are all typically accustomed to seeing)

Diane B

Last edited:

Terry

I don't have a strap on this one but here is my white version you can see how the loops would go around the strap....

agoglanian

Diane - The links you posted were listed as private. I'm unable to see them. (I know it's tricky to upload directly from the iPad, I haven't found an elegant way to do this yet.)

Terry, Thank you for the pics, it's so hard to find a nice high resolution image of the case to get an idea of the fit and finish.

So I gather that the case stays "stuck" to the camera via the attached neck strap? Do you find that it slips out at all or comes loose easily? I definitely like the look of it, I just worry about it slipping out easily.

Thank you both though for the effort!

Diane B

Well i've used mine every day for 14 mos and have never had the case slip off. I don't care for neck straps (guess because I have always shot with larger cameras and use hand/wriststraps) so, though the cover really is meant to use with a neck strap (the half circle straps with snaps at top go around the straps coming out of the lugs meaning the cover cannot come off) I find it works just as well using a wrist strap-- and the cover is nicely snug but the tabs are the safety things. With those encircling the strap(s) it would not be possible to slip off.

I didn't notice the Flickr photos were marked private. Set to public now. One of the reasons I chose the Panasonic cover is that it sits flat and most of the others won't. However if you use a tripod you will have to remove the cover to do that.

agoglanian

Diane - thanks, I was able to see the pictures now. I'm using my old Gordys strap too ;) but mine is a shoulder strap w/ the attachment strings.

I thank you all for helping me out. I think im going to pick up the panasonic case then :)