The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E5+Zuiko 13-35 vs D3x resolution charts

nugat

Link should work now

This link is open:

http://gallery.me.com/nugat#100084

My test chart is just a page torn out of a photo magazine. Obviously because of the small size it must be shot from close up. Hence the difference from the clean dpreview chart look, which must be big and shot from far. But the trumpet lines coalesce just as fine at resolution limit.
As a rule of thumb, MTF50 is where they are still seen very clearly/contrasty as separate, MTF30 where you manage to see them still separated, MTF10 they just mix together (although it's possible to count them--barely).
It looks DPReview gives MTF 30 figures.
DPReview gives the resolution of D3x here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3x/page32.asp
Note "prime lens was used" at f9 (presumably the best lens).
Frankly, I don't get what they mean with "extinction resolution", I see only grey there.
My test was gun'n'run: the "resolution chart" in available light and E5+zuiko on tripod. The Zuiko is a zoom of course, this particular shot at 14mm/f4.
But frankly , The Zuiko is very, very consistent and it looks the same at all f-lengths and f-stops until diffraction kicks in after f11.
Can't wait for DPreview to show their resolution tests for proper comparison.

Last edited:

Riley

thanks nugat

can tell you right now they will use the 50/2 in the review
and they usually shoot sub-optimal f6.3 where the lens performs at its very best at around f4. 50/2 will print around 47 lpmm at f6.3
The 35-100 and the 14-30/2 exceed the resolution of 50/2 at f4 at around 52 lpmm

B

boyzo

I'm sure the IQ would be very good with E-5
If weather is fine why not just go out and shoot with it ;):D
I would :rolleyes: