The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

need help pricing Computar 25mm/1.3

M

MelanieC

I haven't been able to find any recent sales results to determine the value of this lens. I don't know if that means it's hard to find, or no one wants it anymore.

Mine is in good condition, not cosmetically perfect but has no glaring flaws and glass is good. In a previous life it was actually mounted on a CCTV camera and used. No front or back lens caps. It has been modified to focus to infinity.

What would be a fair price for this lens? If I can come up with a fair price and it's worth my while I'll put it up for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks for any input.

M

MelanieC

Thanks, I guess -- I would do that if I thought the lens was worth enough to make it worthwhile. If it's only going to draw bids of <$20 or thereabouts it's not worth wrapping and shipping. I was hoping to get some sort of ballpark figure so I'd at least know if it was worth trying to sell. If it isn't worth much it's not like it takes up much space in the drawer.

Godfrey

Thanks, I guess -- I would do that if I thought the lens was worth enough to make it worthwhile. If it's only going to draw bids of <$20 or thereabouts it's not worth wrapping and shipping. I was hoping to get some sort of ballpark figure so I'd at least know if it was worth trying to sell. If it isn't worth much it's not like it takes up much space in the drawer.
Use Ebay as a pricing resource: look for the item as "Completed Listings" and see what it's sold for recently.

Lenses like this are hard to price by any other means.

M

MelanieC

You're right, I did. IIRC I mentioned that here too when I bought it. It was a lucky find. I was wondering if the current prices were such that it was worth trying to sell it. It isn't like I need the $20 back (the $20 actually included the camera it was attached to, which I am almost positive no one could possibly want), but I have other lenses that I like better and use more and am not really into collecting mountains of gear I don't use. If people actually still want these then there's no point in just sitting on mine.

From what I can tell this lens isn't being offered or sold often (there is only one completed listing on eBay) so I think it would be difficult to price. There are still bargains floating around out there so if I were personally looking for one, I would not be willing to pay much for it. There are also new dedicated fast m43 50mm equivalents or close out there that people are probably more excited about (albeit for a lot more money, otherwise I'd have one of those on my Christmas list!). Therefore, it does not sound like it's worth selling the Computar. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jonas

EDIT: A late reply here, slowly composed and when I had posted it I noticed your reply above. Oh well. Anyway:

(...)
What would be a fair price for this lens? If I can come up with a fair price and it's worth my while I'll put it up for sale in the classifieds.
Noone can tell what the demand is really. Yup, I also bought a cheap one at some point and I don't use it anymore, and maybe somebody would like to have it... Like you I have figured it isn't worth the hassle. OTOH I think I really should sell it; if somebody out there would like to try the lens why shouldn't I help out and carry it to the post office?

A LNIB was sold at ebay recently and it fetched USD 99. I didn't see any old dirty well used ones sold recently, and, at least here in the EU, I didn't find any offered atthe moment.

So, like other posters have said, just eBay it and see what happens.

And:
I really really liked the image from your brother's wedding. It put a smile on my face and then I thought I would like to have something similar if I ever had married.

Well, on flickr you mentioned that you bought it for $20 ...
I guess that message contains a sort of message. Care to explain?

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

FWIW, there has been a WTB advertisement here (prospective US buyer) and m3photo (Michael, in the EU) would use one.

Those who aren't using this lens should sell it at whatever price they found it for, IMHO.

For those who can use it, it is worth a whole lot more than a Pana 20/1.7.

FWIW, it listed new for $225/-, IIRC.

Jonas

FWIW, there has been a WTB advertisement here (prospective US buyer) and m3photo (Michael, in the EU) would use one.

Those who aren't using this lens should sell it at whatever price they found it for, IMHO.

For those who can use it, it is worth a whole lot more than a Pana 20/1.7.

FWIW, it listed new for $225/-, IIRC.
Hmm... why not let the so called marked decide the price?

In what way do you think this lens is worth a whole lot more than the 20/1.7. I don't like the 20/1.7, I think you aren't that fund of it either... but worth more than the G20/1.7 sounds strange to me. If you want a 25 the Computar is better, if you want a 20 the Panny is better, no?

The Computar got some good user reviews here but I never thought it was that great.

regards,

Jonas

V

Vivek

It has helped me to make some great snaps together with the G1.* It is completely useless, photographically, possibly on any other camera except the G1/G2/Gh1/GH2.

* I have tried and failed with other similar c-mount lenses for similar purpose.

Jonas

OK, that's a reply if also not an answer. Vivek, you are the mystery man here.

Anyway, I missed that WTB ad. If m3photo is interested in the lens he can have mine. Michael, just send me a PM. No hurry, it isn't going anywhere else right now.

Jonas