The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

A

Apperloo

Mark, you seem to be using SP at 1/1250, and leaving all other settings up to the camera. Is that correct?
Have you fudged any other settings
Great Shots

mark1000

Mark, you seem to be using SP at 1/1250, and leaving all other settings up to the camera. Is that correct?
Have you fudged any other settings
Great Shots
Pretty much as you say, for fast birds i set shutter speed myself and set ISO to auto, my shutter speed really depends on the light, the faster for little birds the better.

Mark.

biglouis

Ron, thanks. You really made me laugh. Especially as my use of language was wholly unintentional. As I remark to my wife each time I identify a bird of this particular family, "honestly, that is what they are called!".

Louis

Glenn

Unfortunately I was in manual focus mode when I realised this was going to happen, maybe not as sharp as it might have been, taken at 300mm:

biglouis

Glen, like the second one better as well.

Simon, excellent couple of captures!

One from me which I took yesterday. I really love this lens.

Matix

Focusing Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Just wondering... is it just me, or do the GHx cameras have issues with observing the user set size of the focusing zone. I have my GH2 focus zone set to the smallest possible, and yet when using the 100-300 lens I am continually frustrated with getting focus lock in that area.

All apertures, zoom ranges, on a large bird or object 3 times the zone area size in the viewfinder, it has problems locking or even getting close to focusing.

Is the area square indicated only a guesstimate of where the camera will focus? On the weekend I missed at least 50% of my shots due to this anomaly. I do not have other focus issues with this camera, and also no issues with my D7000 and 70-300mm VR lens.

Any ideas appreciated.

Phil

mark1958

Matix.. The only time i have observed a similar issue is when there is poor lighting and/or the subject has poor contrast. If i miss a shot it is because of rapid movement, which of course is easier to capture with a good DSLR system.

CP Warner.. thanks for the comment

mark1000

Re: Focusing Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Just wondering... is it just me, or do the GHx cameras have issues with observing the user set size of the focusing zone. I have my GH2 focus zone set to the smallest possible, and yet when using the 100-300 lens I am continually frustrated with getting focus lock in that area.

All apertures, zoom ranges, on a large bird or object 3 times the zone area size in the viewfinder, it has problems locking or even getting close to focusing.

Is the area square indicated only a guesstimate of where the camera will focus? On the weekend I missed at least 50% of my shots due to this anomaly. I do not have other focus issues with this camera, and also no issues with my D7000 and 70-300mm VR lens.

Any ideas appreciated.

Phil
I have had the same issues in poor light and poor contrast situations, i think the GH2 will expand the focus area until it can lock focus on something even if its not your intended subject, of course i'm probably completely wrong, lol.

Mark.